Running with the Devil

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

45auto

Re: Running with the Devil

Post by 45auto » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:06 pm

eh, echoplex or not, i like to do the lil trill or pulloff or what have you. i slouched this one up a bit
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7362869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sherman

Post by sherman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:13 pm

yup that's Ed bouncing off his delay. The palm mutes and pick attack there are critical too. I think its a deliberate effect by Ed and Ive always thought of it as the genesis of the Cathedral idea.

I think the main sticking point is not having the proper gear. The way his delay ducks in and out can't be simulated with anything else Ive ever tried. It won't sound right unless its the real deal in a proper slaved chain.

ATBL is also commonly butchered in the same way. Those are slapbacks not muted open A chugs dammit! :lol:
"Baaaaaaah!" - General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett (1917)

dtdionne

Post by dtdionne » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:12 pm

45auto, yeah, thats what im talkin about.

I just watched the 83 US Festival and ED clearly slides back down a couple frets to finish that part. So in my da da example my index finger bars on the same fret (999) for the last two da da's where ED clearly does something different, i couldnt see exactly what frets he was on or what he was doing but his hand was on different frets for the last two da da's.

da da chic-a da danala da da

At this point theres no way I could ever in a bazillion years concede that gear or effects is what im hearing there...but I do respect those opinions and appreciate the time taken to read this and to express those opinions.
Late 70's EVH tone or bust

dtdionne

Post by dtdionne » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:24 pm

But, you know, in defense of the echo theory's and after spending so much time on this over the last few days, I really need to re-vamp my da da example. Instead of:

What I really hear is:

da da chic-a da nala da da

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Strat78 wrote:
dtdionne wrote: da da chic-a da-na da da

when eddie sounds like this to me:

H
The danala or that extra nala is the echoplex.
bwahahahaha lol, gotta love this place

dtdionne

Post by dtdionne » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:36 pm

HAAAAAAAAAA!!! no doubt, you have to love this place, where else could I freakishly obsess over something seemingly so trivial without someone prescribing some ocd medication.

I also love that Halloween boot, it's such a better live performance than the US Festival, was that actually released for sale?

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Coincidentally this last week I've been wondering how to really play that riff too, hence I"m reading this thread. I'm hoping for a clear vid of someone playing it right. I'm more interested in the exact chords, I play the second last chord as an A major with a low fifth, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

dtdionne

Post by dtdionne » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Have you ever head it played correctly by anyone but eddie?

sherman

Post by sherman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:50 pm

I gotta be honest here and say that I really don't see the mystery about that riff at all.

If you've got your intonation and tuning right it should be plain as day.

Especially now that we have the iso tracks...

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Strat78 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:03 am

Last edited by Strat78 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dtdionne

Post by dtdionne » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 am

whats an iso track? and do you have any clips of you playing it?

hiwatt72

Post by hiwatt72 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:06 pm

It may be cheesy but if you have a guitar trainer thing, or a program like protools or whatever, you can slow it down without pitch changing to figure it out. The slap-backs and the weird thing digital stuff does at half-speed make it still a little tough with really fast and good players, but it helps a lot.

sherman

Post by sherman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 pm

dtdionne wrote:whats an iso track? and do you have any clips of you playing it?
A few months ago the generous and awsome Mr. DF shared a snippet of ED's isolated tracks for RWTD. Shouldn't be hard to find. :wink:

I plan on a new soundclick page for my Axe-FX stuff so when I have a good patch dialed in, I'll post the whole song with solo dubs using the Atomic Punks backing track. Strat78 also posted an excellent version using the same backing. 8)

FWIW Ed dosen't finger/play things exactly the same every time but he has one consisent habit that applies to RWTD. A quick youtube search and you can see him playing the first two barre triads with his index, middle or ring finger depending on his mood. More often than not he uses his middle. However, he consistantly will refinger the last two triads in the riff instead of moving the barre shape around. That eluded me for a while. In these cases, his natural tendency is to completely refinger which is less efficient than than adding onto or moving a finger shape (especially barre shapes) but you have to do it to get the vibe right.
Last edited by sherman on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtdionne

Post by dtdionne » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:11 pm

Do you or anyone know where strat78's clips are?

sherman

Post by sherman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:43 pm

If you are looking to go completely off the deep end with this track you also need to use a tune-o-matic type bridge and wear a long sleeve shirt with the cuff unbuttoned and maybe rolled once on your pick arm. That way you get the random cuff hits on the short strings. You can hear them best on the first chorus I think.

I'm not sure of the brand for the shirt. Probably silk or Rayon with standard size/weight cuff buttons.:lol: :lol:

And you have to spell it Runnin'. :D
Last edited by sherman on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.