VH 1979 tour & guitars

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Seabean

VH 1979 tour & guitars

Post by Seabean » Sun May 17, 2009 10:34 pm

I don't think I've ever mentioned here that I live near Philly. I only saw VH at the Spectrum twice.. the '79 and '81 tours.

One thing I remember about the Philly 1979 show is DLR saying to the rowdy crowd something like "we were in NY last night and it was nothing like this" ... and the crowd went nuts because of the obvious Philly-NY rivalry. But looking at the VH tour dates...

http://www.rocknvideos.com/vhtourdates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... you can see that it was actually not NYC, but Rochester NY the night before. And that's cool because that's where they filmed the 3 songs DTNA, BU, & YNG. I get to see VH on film almost exactly as I saw them live the next night!

I was pretty close to the stage. Ed's side of course. One thing I remember about the show was thinking "why is his guitar all red with stripes? I thought it's supposed to be white with black stripes?" :) I also remember his cabs were 3 high with a big rack of Marshall heads off to the side stage.

Here's the 3 videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrfWzx8Tn4o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Fresno location given is wrong. The Fresno show was on 3/25/79 and there's also plenty of videos from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXku-1qFCOA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esEUKTEgLKI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's interesting about these is that at Fresno he's using the carved snake guitar with the "black headstock" neck and then 2 mos later in Rochester/Philly he's using the red Franky with that same neck. Does anyone know if he intended for the snake to be his main guitar in 79? Or did he repaint and rebuild Franky sometime during those 2 mos from Mar to May 79?

Seabean

Re: VH 1979 tour & guitars

Post by Seabean » Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 pm

OK here's "High Quality" versions on youtube of DTNA and YNG.. they sound much better (can't find the same quality for BU)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amTTucWPznc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpOxeonvAkk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hard to believe these are 30 years ago TONITE! (5/18/79)

laneychris

Post by laneychris » Mon May 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Didn't he have a pre fine tuner floyd on that video?

jimi22812
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by jimi22812 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:29 am

Seabean wrote:What's interesting about these is that at Fresno he's using the carved snake guitar with the "black headstock" neck and then 2 mos later in Rochester/Philly he's using the red Franky with that same neck. Does anyone know if he intended for the snake to be his main guitar in 79?
It's impossible to answer that question with any certainty, but since there are no published pictures of him playing it live before or after the Fresno performance, there's not much reason to believe he intended to make it his main guitar for that tour... it's more likely that he was simply trying out his "new toy" that night.
Seabean wrote:Or did he repaint and rebuild Franky somtime during those 2 mos from Mar to May 79?
That's most likely the time frame in which that happens, but one thing is for certain- 1979 was the year that the "Franky" went through the most changes! :shock:
Here's the transformations:
Last edited by jimi22812 on Tue May 19, 2009 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:33 am

laneychris wrote:Didn't he have a pre fine tuner floyd on that video?
No. The Floyd had not been installed yet,...

Seabean

Post by Seabean » Tue May 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks jimi - well done! Let me take a guess at those 5 pics...

#1 this is B+W franky at Sunset Sound in Dec 78, we're sure about this.

#2 franky has the rosewood neck back on (from the prev summer 77) and the white pickguard. this photo is probably warming up for the 79 tour, maybe Jan or Feb

#3 this is from the "pickaxe" photo. franky is now red with the the white pickguard, and the all-blond neck it had throughout the 78 tour. the black headstock neck is on the snake. Probably taken around the time of the Fresno concert or just after, maybe Mar or Apr 79

(or maybe Ed used the snake guitar at the Fresno concert because Franky was in pieces getting painted red?)

#4 maybe slightly later (mar or april 79) the white pickguard if off, but the neck hasn't been changed. same vest and pants as pic #5

#5 red franky with no pickguard and the black headstock neck. might have been taken at the time of the Rochester/Philly concerts in May.... and pretty much how it stayed for the rest of 79!

Cool. Oh, and 1 more thing... VH "top-billed" (as Dave would say) for the 1st time at the soon-to-be torn down Philly Spectrum 30 years ago tonite!

spcv

Post by spcv » Fri May 22, 2009 5:02 am

Jimi IS the reference when it comes to EVH guitars! I told you, Jimi, you should write a book! :lol:

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:41 am

I always wondered about that pickup from a few of these shots that has the melted/warped bobbins. Is that the one Ed rewound/potted himself and then got Duncan to copy?
12000 Metro Kit

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:03 am

vanhalen5150 wrote: I always wondered about that pickup from a few of these shots that has the melted/warped bobbins. Is that the one Ed rewound/potted himself...
Yes... and by the looks of it, it was just on the verge of changing it's molecular structure! :lol:

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:02 pm

jimi22812 wrote:
vanhalen5150 wrote: I always wondered about that pickup from a few of these shots that has the melted/warped bobbins. Is that the one Ed rewound/potted himself...
Yes... and by the looks of it, it was just on the verge of changing it's molecular structure! :lol:
Thats a good shot. Notice how he's got 4 screws holding the pickup in. Also there is a wire from one of the single coils going to the "pickguard". Second bridge screw under the A string is missing as well. Its like bypass surgery. "Um... we'll just take this from there and stick it in over here".
12000 Metro Kit

spcv

Post by spcv » Fri May 22, 2009 6:07 pm

I never noticed those 4 screws holding the pickup before! How did he manage not to let that thing fall off? :?

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:34 pm

spcv wrote:I never noticed those 4 screws holding the pickup before!
Sergio, look at the pic Tadashi sent you- it's on there! :wink: :lol:

plexified
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by plexified » Fri May 22, 2009 10:05 pm

At first you would think he was hack , but reality is he did not want to run a screw through the main pick up adjustment holes that came from a guitar he knew was worth $ . Why ruin an origional PAF baseplate ? Kinda cute hugh ? I am surprised he took apart the Snake . It was part of the opening show on this tour and sounded unbelievable . I think he may have damaged Frank and took the next best thing in a pinch . Amazing it fit considering how custom that Snake was . But I wonder if the neck made it back on the snake or was broken . But it was a killer . Did it have a soul Kiss on the back ? You know blacked out on the back coming down to a point like they did on a few old Gibsons ?

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:14 am

plexified wrote: At first you would think he was hack , but reality is he did not want to run a screw through the main pick up adjustment holes that came from a guitar he knew was worth $ . Why ruin an origional PAF baseplate ? Kinda cute hugh ?

Well, the reality is that he ruined the base plate when he heated up the "legs" and bent them up with pliers in order to get his "optimum" string to pick up height so, running a screw through the adjustment holes would be a relatively minor issue! :lol:
Believe me, Ed did not care about the dollar value of the old PAFs, that's why he took them apart, rewound them, dipped them in wax etc., to him, the PAFs were simply a means to an end, not a collectors item, he did whatever he needed to do to achieve the sound he was looking for. Now, did he buy vintage Les Pauls and Flying Vs for investment? Absolutely!
plexified wrote:I am surprised he took apart the Snake . It was part of the opening show on this tour and sounded unbelievable .

Yes, it did sound good! The Snake remained intact for years, although it did go through some changes...
Here it is with the original "VH I" neck attached...
..and here it is with a Floyd installed.
plexified wrote:I think he may have damaged Frank and took the next best thing in a pinch .

There's no reason to believe that the Franky was damaged at that point, rather I believe he was simply "trying out" the Snake that night(s).
plexified wrote:Amazing it fit considering how custom that Snake was .
Here is the Snake in it's original state...
...the body was made by Charvel, the neck is a Danelectro...
plexified wrote: But I wonder if the neck made it back on the snake or was broken
The Charvel VH II neck did make it back on and it stayed on there for many years.
plexified wrote:Did it have a soul Kiss on the back ? You know blacked out on the back coming down to a point like they did on a few old Gibsons ?
No it didn't, it was a bolt on neck. :wink:

Seabean

Post by Seabean » Sat May 23, 2009 11:53 am

Great stuff jimi!

About that b+w pic above of Ed wearing the gaffer-tape moustache... I guess that was taken when they were rehearsing for the 79 tour? There's another pic from that set where DLR is wearing spandex. Here's a pic from that time in color:

I mean, how long did they need to rehearse? Could these pics have been taken in early Mar before the 3/25 tour opener at Fresno? That would date the franky getting painted red in Mar 79.