Japanese 'SEN' strat

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Tone Slinger

Japanese 'SEN' strat

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:25 pm

My friend has, what looks to be, a Sen wood strat. It is an apparent attempt by the Japanese to make an ASH strat. Like how they slightly stained the Sen Destroyers to look like Korina, this one appears to only have a clear coat, and is a 3 or 4 piece body. A person who knows Ash good (me sorta) can tell its not Ash, it isnt quite as heavy as my hard ash Warmoth, but it does have that 'vibe' of Ash. Its older, I'm guessing late 70's. It has almost EXACT 70's strat era specs (7 1/2, 21 frets, big headstock, etc) it's got genuine original strat routing (it's got a clear pick guard). The pick ups are in bad shape, as well as just about all of the electronics. A saddle screw is gone, andthe nut is chipped, etc. Still, I love how it rang and how it looked.

I have another buddy who has a mid 70's Destroyer. I think I'm gonna take a closer look at his (like under the pot guard) to see exactly what grain and color the Sen wood has. If this strat is, then I think I might trade him out of it.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

jerryjg
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Japanese 'SEN' strat

Post by jerryjg » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:45 pm

these simpletons here no very little about what you are talking about. I'm beginning to despise this place cause of the lack of intelligence here. I do know about Senn.. The Senn wood is to Hard ash as Koa is to Mahogany, (and i say this because comparison is probably one of the best ways to evaluate this wood , being as how there is so little disseminated information about it on the web ) in terms of that Koa is much much more sophisticated in midrange and harmonic shades and overtones than simple African Mahogany ( I do NOT include Honduran Mahogany here, which is a supreme tonewood on par with Hawaiian Koa) .

Anyway ...Eddie Van Halens Explorer was made of Senn,and thats what we hear on most of the VH-1 album.
It has Ash-like properties, but its probably a far cry from American Ash( hard ash oi would think, not soft ash), due to the complexities of its tone sound.
I CAME TO RAWK!

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Strat78 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:31 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:My friend has, what looks to be, a Sen wood strat. It is an apparent attempt by the Japanese to make an ASH strat. Like how they slightly stained the Sen Destroyers to look like Korina, this one appears to only have a clear coat, and is a 3 or 4 piece body. A person who knows Ash good (me sorta) can tell its not Ash, it isnt quite as heavy as my hard ash Warmoth, but it does have that 'vibe' of Ash. Its older, I'm guessing late 70's. It has almost EXACT 70's strat era specs (7 1/2, 21 frets, big headstock, etc) it's got genuine original strat routing (it's got a clear pick guard). The pick ups are in bad shape, as well as just about all of the electronics. A saddle screw is gone, andthe nut is chipped, etc. Still, I love how it rang and how it looked.

I have another buddy who has a mid 70's Destroyer. I think I'm gonna take a closer look at his (like under the pot guard) to see exactly what grain and color the Sen wood has. If this strat is, then I think I might trade him out of it.
These Ibanez and Greco strat copies are on eBay all the time for around $400 and up, sometimes just a body will come up too. You can tell if it is a 70's MIJ knockoff if it is pieced together with sandwiched planks just like the Destroyers of this time period. Sen has many different densities, I have four Destroyers the lightest being 7.5lbs. and the heaviest being 11lbs. Unfinished sen is gray (it's in the ivy family) and can range from an ash like plain figuring to a beautiful light catching swirling burl type grain. If the price is right, you should grab that guitar and try it with a PAF type pickup and post some clips!

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:15 am

I'm supposed to meet with my friend on Wednesday to consider a trade. I looked up some pic's of Sen, and sure enough, I think this one is. It has some condition issue's (though not concerning the body or neck as far as I could tell). I know though, that as soon s I get it, I'll be sinking some $$ into it. Like getting it refretted with big frets and having the 7 1/4 radius sanded to a 12. A duncan '59 in the bridge as well.

I just think it's cool to have a guitar that has the 'strat' shape and sonic sensibilities, BUT, with the same wood as Ed's also very great sounding Destroyer. A great combination possibly !

Brad737

Post by Brad737 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:19 pm

We simpletons really value your contributions. Since you "no" so much, PLEASE stay, even though you despise us. Our lack of intelligence could really use the boost... :roll:

jerryjg wrote:these simpletons here no very little about what you are talking about. I'm beginning to despise this place cause of the lack of intelligence here.
Model citizen...Zero discipline

Tone Deaf Guitars

Post by Tone Deaf Guitars » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Brad737 wrote:We simpletons really value your contributions. Since you "no" so much, PLEASE stay, even though you despise us. Our lack of intelligence could really use the boost... :roll:

jerryjg wrote:these simpletons here no very little about what you are talking about. I'm beginning to despise this place cause of the lack of intelligence here.
I don't "no" much, but that's some funny shit! Nothing like a little "liquid courage" before writing about lack of intelligence.

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:05 pm

jerryjg wrote:these simpletons here no very little about what you are talking about. I'm beginning to despise this place cause of the lack of intelligence here. I do know about Senn.. The Senn wood is to Hard ash as Koa is to Mahogany, (and i say this because comparison is probably one of the best ways to evaluate this wood , being as how there is so little disseminated information about it on the web ) in terms of that Koa is much much more sophisticated in midrange and harmonic shades and overtones than simple African Mahogany ( I do NOT include Honduran Mahogany here, which is a supreme tonewood on par with Hawaiian Koa) .

Anyway ...Eddie Van Halens Explorer was made of Senn,and thats what we hear on most of the VH-1 album.
It has Ash-like properties, but its probably a far cry from American Ash( hard ash oi would think, not soft ash), due to the complexities of its tone sound.
Ah, thank you Richard Noggin.
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

Tone_Chaser

Post by Tone_Chaser » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:17 pm

I guess having a disclaimer in your signature makes it OK to be a douche bag.

Maybe you should consider rehab.
Barry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonechaser/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://swiftkik.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://lyin-eyes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:01 am

"That escalated quickly" in the words of the great Ron Burgandy. I am not sure why some things are said, but hell, me and my wife have words all the time :D .

Anyway's, I , in no way, mean to piss anyone off.

I just wanted to share to all here on the forums that Japanese Sen wood guitars are out there. Hell, most guitar player's out there aren't really aware of Sen wood, or, for that matter, aware of what different wood types do to sound.

I'm proud to be 'connected' ( yes I like to ' ' things ) to those here on this forum who consider almost EVERYTHING, 'cause I sure try to.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:35 am

"I no nussing"

Sergeant Schultz .
12000 Metro Kit

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:51 am

Very old thread but just had to share a laugh about the guy who complains about lack of intelligence, all the while misspelling Sen. And called Ed's guitar an Explorer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:01 am

I hope he got his life together, because he seemed to enjoy talking guitars and amps when he was sober. There are some manic depressives out there who should never post while under the influence:
jerryjg wrote:Not to brag, but I am probably way better than most of you here on guitar.
Two hours later....burp:
jerryjg wrote:I apologise for the stupid joke. It wasnt as funny once i sobered up. Great forum. Much respect..word.
:toast:

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 am

Ah, I see.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:12 am

Yup. And seems to be a little livelier around here too. :o

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:16 pm

"Richard Noggin"
That's classic- LMAO :lol: :clap: