Pix or a link for the back's of Ed's 70's era JBL's?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Good Guest

Re: Pix or a link for the back's of Ed's 70's era JBL's?

Post by Good Guest » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:21 am

From the famous Rudy article:The technical anatomy of the brown sound.

"On stage in the board is a MODIFIED phase 90"

I am full agreement it's part of the recipe..just like all his other effects.

ROCK€
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by ROCK€ » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:38 am

When did Ed first meet Jose? Guitar Player, November 1988: "Jose (this Chilean amp wizard) first met Van Halen in 1970 when Eddie and his father drove over to Jose's shop to bring Eddie's main Marshall in for repair (Eddie was playing in Mammoth at the time) Jose recalls: 'The amp had an unstable bias voltage, as well as a bad output transformer. It would blow up a lot!' The guitarist and the engineer quickly became friends, and that friendship grew into partnership that continues to this day".

I mean if they first met in 1970, they've had a plenty of time to do many things to Ed's gear.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:40 pm

ROCK€ wrote:When did Ed first meet Jose? Guitar Player, November 1988: "Jose (this Chilean amp wizard) first met Van Halen in 1970 when Eddie and his father drove over to Jose's shop to bring Eddie's main Marshall in for repair (Eddie was playing in Mammoth at the time) Jose recalls: 'The amp had an unstable bias voltage, as well as a bad output transformer. It would blow up a lot!' The guitarist and the engineer quickly became friends, and that friendship grew into partnership that continues to this day".

I mean if they first met in 1970, they've had a plenty of time to do many things to Ed's gear.
The same way Ed has his frankenstrat maybe he has his frankenplexi....if they were such good friends it's quite possible he did unique things to his amp....as well as effects.

plexified
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by plexified » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:17 pm

I think a good experiment is to take the raw tracks and put your own reverb on it . You'll soon hear that on the first few albums the depth of Verb is what has a huge hand in his changing tone . He moved from wet reverb to tens of milliseconds of delay with the micro pitch shift in stero . The big plate reverb tends to add highs and put the mids further 'away' .

T.J.Fuller

Post by T.J.Fuller » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:45 pm

bortz wrote:Maybe Ted Weber could whip up something with the 4" voice coil, aluminum dust cover and a nice low end. I don't know how receptive he would be to a one off production run just for our purposes or if he would give us a price break. Over a hundred bucks is a bad investment just for an experiment, if it doesn't work :)
Everyone keeps mentioning the Weber California

this Weber speaker has the alum dust cover and 4" voice coil

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

go to the NeoMag 12
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beaulieu

Post by beaulieu » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:25 pm

I think it is so fuuny that Rudy Leiren can tell how it was done and there will still be some that don't believe it because of a picture they say???You have to remember that just because theres a picture of say VH 2 being recorded in the studio and these the bomb with gear in it with cords plugged into it means only that it there in the picture for 100% sure. Dosent mean it was being used at all!! I would tend to believe what Rudy told Dave Freedman cause there would be NO reason to keep anything secret!!
69 SuperBass Plexi
12000 Series Bulid
73 1987
68 Nos 50 build
2554 Combo
2550 Silver Jub stack
71 LesPaul Deluxe
68,71,73 4x12

spaceace76
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by spaceace76 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:20 pm

beaulieu wrote:there would be NO reason to keep anything secret!!
are you kidding?
keeping EVH's tone in a cloud of ambiguity is great marketing. it makes it easier to come out with products that people will snatch up in hopes of capturing that elusive tone. "Magic boxes" are all over the boutique pedal market.

Think about it, no matter what Ed says in an interview about former/current/future members, we'll be talking about and buying things in the spirit of recreating his tone. Granted, we're a bit more hardcore (or just bent on accuracy) than the average 6 stringer, but I bet as soon as the EVH90 came out, tons of people went out and bought it. Why? Because those people wish they could play and sound like Ed. That's why we're here, and it's why George has a '68 spec kit. There's a market for this sort of thing, and the mystique of the brown sound draws people in. Nothing wrong with capitalism man, EVH is a small part of the reason George is making such great, accurate, awesome sounding repro's and kits. If the mystique wasn't there, if he just spelled it out from his hands to his speakers and the recording method on the first interview, it wouldn't be as interesting.

In other words, it's all part of the fun. 8)

beaulieu

Post by beaulieu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 pm

Sure I agree. But I don't think that Rudy telling Dave Freedman about what Ed used and that he would mislead or leave out details so Ed could sell products now. I honesty think there was not as much to that mysterious sound as everyone make it out to be. Don't think Ed had any magical mystery box although Im sure he could market one now. :lol: I still honestly think it was just an outstanding sounding Marshall head and the way he had his pedals etc hooked up and they way it happend to be recorded.Most of all it was him. Just look at Ralle or Rockstah,Ragalpin. They don't have a secret special box and they can do it quite well.They are just using the same thing anyone of us can buy and or probally already have.Hell I have a 1969 Plexi SuperBass,1971 SuperLead and a bunch of 25 and 30 watt loaded cabinets.MXR pedal etc. I don't think I sound like VH but I bet if Ralle came over to my house he could play thru my stuff and come real close!!
69 SuperBass Plexi
12000 Series Bulid
73 1987
68 Nos 50 build
2554 Combo
2550 Silver Jub stack
71 LesPaul Deluxe
68,71,73 4x12

bortz

Post by bortz » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:19 pm

T.J.Fuller wrote:
bortz wrote:Maybe Ted Weber could whip up something with the 4" voice coil, aluminum dust cover and a nice low end. I don't know how receptive he would be to a one off production run just for our purposes or if he would give us a price break. Over a hundred bucks is a bad investment just for an experiment, if it doesn't work :)
Everyone keeps mentioning the Weber California

this Weber speaker has the alum dust cover and 4" voice coil

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

go to the NeoMag 12
I've heard that the Weber speakers aren't really true to the D120 sound. The d120's were originally Hi-Fi speakers with a broad frequency range and very sensitive. Like around 100db sensitive.
The D120F didn't have that same range, as they were a specifically designed guitar amp speaker. There doesn't appear to be anything available in today's market that has that full range, high sensitivity.
You could get the range with a crossover and a midrange combo but that wouldn't give you the same thing as a D120.

whopperplate

Post by whopperplate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:12 pm

bortz wrote:I've heard that the Weber speakers aren't really true to the D120 sound. The d120's were originally Hi-Fi speakers with a broad frequency range and very sensitive. Like around 100db sensitive.
The D120F didn't have that same range, as they were a specifically designed guitar amp speaker. There doesn't appear to be anything available in today's market that has that full range, high sensitivity.
You could get the range with a crossover and a midrange combo but that wouldn't give you the same thing as a D120.
I remember reading that the only difference between a D120 and a D120F is that the D120F surround was doped so that it could be driven harder. Dick Dale apparently influenced this change because of his loud playing. Other than that the two speakers are identical as far as magnet assembly.

I have D120's and Altec 12's of some kind in a 412 and it is very bright indeed. You don't even need to turn up the presence to get a brilliant, cutting EVH type tone.
Musicians are like a bowl of cereal
If they aren't Fruits or Nuts they're Flakes

uiovbged332

Post by uiovbged332 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:16 pm

Jordan 11
Adidas NMD R1
GGDB
Golden Goose Outlet
Ferragamo Outlet
Air Jordan 12 Retro
Christian Louboutin Shoes
Moncler Outlet Online
Jordan 8
Nike Air Force 1 High
Cheap Jordan Shoes For Men