Parallel wiring humbucker.

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Ruben

Parallel wiring humbucker.

Post by Ruben » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:16 am

Anybody tried wiring his bridge humbucker parallel instead of series?

The reason I ask is because Ed's pickup mostly have a lot of single coil sounding tones. Like some sort of single coil on steroids (P90's twang) while preserving that fat humbucker sound. So perhaps he actually used some sort of push-pull volume knob to switch between series / parallel wiring.

Some say a parellel wired humbucker indeed sounds somewhat more single coil like.

Here's what I found on the net:

PARALLEL WIRING
Parallel wiring connects the coils of a humbucker like two independently functioning single coils. The result is a brighter, more single-coil like tone but without losing hum-canceling. A humbucker wired in parallel has about 30% less output of the same pickup wired in series.

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Parallel wiring humbucker.

Post by 908ssp » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:01 pm

I have done it. Depending on the guitar and humbucker it can sound very good. I especially like Duncan P-rail in the parallel mode. I often use a series/parallel swtch instead of splut switch as I find it much more usable than the split humbucker.

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:00 pm

I use a series/para switch as well and agree that it's more useful than the split coil mode IMO. In my HSS guitars I use a 5 way switch and find pos 2 ie br and mid to be very good, mostly I use that position with the hummer in series mode, I don't use the para mode much but it's useful to have the switch but more useful I reckon is the hummer in series plus the middle single coil. I often wonder why Ed had the single coil in the neck position yet reckons it wasn't wired up? Hmm, I wonder.

hiwatt72

Post by hiwatt72 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:56 pm

I've done it with the sd little '59s. It sounds pretty good. My 2 cents though, I don't think EVH did.

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:50 am

Stupid question perhaps but is it possible to wire a 1 conductor SD 59 series parallel?

Quess you really need 4 conductor wiring, right?

Staalhoofd

Post by Staalhoofd » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:01 am

You'd have to unsolder all four wires to make it a 4 conductor. In other words, yes you can, but it takes some time and effort.

A Dimarzio Super Distortion in parallel is also a great sounding pickup. Listen to Paul Gilbert's early years with Racer X.
Marshall 73 50W
Marshall 74 100W
Marshall 81 JCM800 100W / SIR#34
Metroamp 100W SIR#36
Randall RG100ES
Marshall EL34 50/50
ADA MP1 3TM
Marshall JMP1

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 am

Ed was using 2 lead pickups in the early days (PAF's Super 70s) so Parallel wiring is not it IMO and neither is a P-90 because Ed would need to have a P-90 with a Tremolo and a P-90 in a Strat body is not in the early photos and highly unlikely.
In fact there is a photo of Ed with his P-90 Goldtop Les Paul from around 1974/75 or so when they had a Keyboard player and Ed has taken out the stock P-90 in the bridge and replaced it with a Humbucker.

Ed used/uses a thin pick and it gives a slapply feel and the Strat Tremolo has a bit of a twang to it no matter what pickup is used and a Strat body routing and springs give a bit of a twang and the Phase is a bit twangy as well.

Ed's early gear is just humbuckers (Mighty Mite, PAF's, Super 70s) in a Strat or the Destroyer IMO and from what Ed has said and early photos.

And the Ed pickup with one coil not working is from way past the early days and even if one coil doesn't measure properly with DC, the pickup can still function as a normal AC signal Humbucker and I have had a humbucker like this in a Fender Lead 1guitar and one coil didn't measure properly (DC) but the pickup worked normally (AC).

Coils are tightly wrapped wire and they work with induced electromagnetic AC fields and DC current going through a coil wire is a different thing.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

ROCK€

Post by ROCK€ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 am

leadguy wrote: Ed used/uses a thin pick
I've got a Van Halen pick from the backstage of a concert, year 1980. That pick is a new one and no one has ever played with it, neither Ed. It feels like medium size, but there is not written "medium" on it. It says "Van Halen" there and there is the Van Halen logo on it. This pick is from the backstage and I have no idea if it has been given by Ed or the staff. A friend of mine got it then. So, this thing doesn't have necessarily anything to do what size of picks Ed has used. I just mentioned this for curiosity.

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:43 am

The size of Ed's pick is interesting.

http://www.ceciliasmusic.com/product_p/022-0351-001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like they are around .60 mm or so and on the first album there is no way that Ed could play the ATBL Am to G with a chuka chuka rhythm using a hard pick IMO.

The ATBL Am to G chuka chuka rhythm is a thing that I've never heard anyone play right because it's a chuka chuka picking rhythm in between more sustaining pick strokes. The ATBL rhythm is in the official VH1 transcription book and it's there on the ATBL Ed iso track, it's really a flamenco like rhythm.

A thin pick is needed to get the slappy chuka chuka rhythm feel and it's a piece of gear that's often overlooked about Ed's style.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:50 am

Keep in mind though the thickness of a pick can be a little tricky in terms of what it does. The thickness as well as the material combines to give many variances. Every tried one of those stainless steel's?
12000 Metro Kit

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:57 am

Brian May plays with a coin but he doesn't get those sweeping sounding chords that Ed and other light pick players can get as the thinner pick tends to brush the strings and as the pick passes over each string in a chord, a thinner pick gets more bent one way by the time the chord is played and then springs back to being straight after the chord is played and this does not happen much with a rigid heavy pick. Same thing goes for notes as well as chords.

Ed's thin pick is also a part of the bloom of the note that some people describe as well as the amp etc.
A thin pick hits the strings in a different more looser way than a rigid pick and plus you can really play hard with a thin pick and really dig in and slap the strings which Ed does.

Staalhoofd

Post by Staalhoofd » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:25 am

I once caught a pic from Dimebag at a Pantera show. After the show I met Dimebag and thanked him for the pic. He told me that the pic I had was crap, and he only used them to throw at the audience. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a totally different pic and gave it to me. He said that was the pic he used during the show. Then we drank beer :D

IOW, who knows which pics he REALLY uses?
Marshall 73 50W
Marshall 74 100W
Marshall 81 JCM800 100W / SIR#34
Metroamp 100W SIR#36
Randall RG100ES
Marshall EL34 50/50
ADA MP1 3TM
Marshall JMP1

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:27 am

Eddie claims to have gotten cancer from the brass pick he used all these years by holding it in his mouth.

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:33 am

The general consensus is that Ed uses thin picks and IMO VH1 has to be a thin pick because of how Ed is getting a boingy bouncy quality to his playing and because of the pick slides as well http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 4&p=276638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some players don't like thin picks and some do.

Check this out, this shows how different sound frequencies can be produced by the attack of the pick.

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/herdim.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:11 pm

"Eddie claimed that holding a metal pick in his mouth 12–14 hours per day while immersed in the electromagnetic radiation of his music studio caused his tongue cancer."

Wiki taken from an interview he gave to Hoard Stern.