Parallel wiring humbucker.

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

leadguy

Re: Parallel wiring humbucker.

Post by leadguy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 am

Metal picks were late 1990s though and he only used them on certain songs. The DLR era is thin picks IMO because I can't see Ed playing what he did with that feel with a thick rigid pick. I will ask Mitch Malloy when I talk to him again, about what picks Ed used when Mitch was with Ed.

Van Halen Encyclopedia page 232

Without You - (Van Halen III [6:28]) Edward employed the use of a quarter on this track, raking it back and forth across the strings to produce a strange scratching effect. He later had some metal picks made up to use when playing the song live. Ed used a prototype Wolfgang with P-90 pickups to record the song. This same guitar appeared in the video for "Without You."
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

sinasl1

Post by sinasl1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 am

leadguy wrote:The size of Ed's pick is interesting.

http://www.ceciliasmusic.com/product_p/022-0351-001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like they are around .60 mm or so and on the first album there is no way that Ed could play the ATBL Am to G with a chuka chuka rhythm using a hard pick IMO.

The ATBL Am to G chuka chuka rhythm is a thing that I've never heard anyone play right because it's a chuka chuka picking rhythm in between more sustaining pick strokes. The ATBL rhythm is in the official VH1 transcription book and it's there on the ATBL Ed iso track, it's really a flamenco like rhythm.

A thin pick is needed to get the slappy chuka chuka rhythm feel and it's a piece of gear that's often overlooked about Ed's style.
the ATBL rhythm thing you speak of- I agree the pick size helps, but you are really hearing the delay slap back there, that's the real important element. To me it sounds like it's either 2 delays at once (one set for 100ms and one for 300ms) or it's just the 300ms delay, set for 1 or 2 repeats. Play the intro real muted and percussive with the above delay settings and you'll see what I mean.

When I did my VH Variplex clip I did it with the eventide time factor delay, set for 100ms and 300ms, mixed real low so the delay just pops out when I puck hard. It sounds almost exactly like the album IMHO.

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:58 am

Yes you might be right.

In the VH book it's got a Am chord with accent, then a palm muted low A note, then a Am chord played from 4th string E, then a palm muted low A note, then a Am chord with accent, then a palm muted low A note, then a Am chord played from 4th string E, then a low E note and finally a G chord with accent.

A total of 9 notes.

Listening to the ATBL iso that amount of notes are there, 9 and some are more muted then others so it's either the delay or Ed's doing a very complex strumming rhythm.

I'll have to listen to it some more.

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:33 am

Ssss.... some guys are hijacking this topic!

:lol:

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:04 am

I slowed it down to half speed and it's definitely delay on the Am chord and not a funky rhythm so the book is wrong in this case but it's pretty good overall.

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 am

i was making picks that i would cut from scraps of broken cymbals in 83 and selling them at GIT.
i remember shortly after the metal picks came around.
it was interesting that people preferred the cymbal picks because they were slightly thicker than the thinner, sharp, cutting metal picks. those metal picks would chew strings in minutes as well.
leadguy wrote:Metal picks were late 1990s though and he only used them on certain songs. The DLR era is thin picks IMO because I can't see Ed playing what he did with that feel with a thick rigid pick. I will ask Mitch Malloy when I talk to him again, about what picks Ed used when Mitch was with Ed.

Van Halen Encyclopedia page 232

Without You - (Van Halen III [6:28]) Edward employed the use of a quarter on this track, raking it back and forth across the strings to produce a strange scratching effect. He later had some metal picks made up to use when playing the song live. Ed used a prototype Wolfgang with P-90 pickups to record the song. This same guitar appeared in the video for "Without You."

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:55 am

Ruben wrote:Ssss.... some guys are hijacking this topic!

:lol:
you made a Dog Whisperer sound!

"Sssss!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm

:roll: :D :D :D

So, back on topic!

Anyone tried this with a SD'59 in a Les Paul type guitar?

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 am

Back around 1980 I had a Fender Lead I (Alder body) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Lead_Series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with a series/parallel/single switching arrangement on the Seth Lover (PAF designer dude) only humbucker which was a bit like a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

I remember that I didn't like the coils in parallel much and just used the coils in series and also used the coil cut single coil as well for some things.

I bought a Fender Lead I about 3 years ago (Hard Ash body) and as I have already posted, one of the humbucker coils wouldn't measure but worked fine (like Ed's later humbucker was supposed to), so I took the pickup apart to have a look at it and fxxcked it up somehow so then I bought a Duncan JB as a replacement and set it up the same way as the Fender Lead I standard one humbucker wiring setup series/parallel/single switching and I still didn't use the coils in parallel and then I added a lace sensor single coil to the neck and just had the switching arrangement for the JB humbucker/single together with the lace sensor on/off and I can get Telecaster to Strat to Les Paul sort of tones and I'm happy with it.

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:43 pm

so a normal humbucker is wired in series right? so, i took a pu that i didn't like because i thought is was too hot with about 16k resistance if i remember correctly. 16k would mean we have 2 8k coils in series right? so 2 8k coils in parallel would be 4k. dang low ay? imagine trying this with a PAF. an 8k pup would be 2 4k winds in series - put those 4k winds in parallel and you have a pup with 2k resistance. am i right? my theory is the parallel config works better with a big ol 16k humbucker. i think i did it with an old SD JB or trembucker or something i had - aren't they about 16k?

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:11 pm

JB's and the Gibson 84T are 16K. Be cool to hear one of those as 2 single 8K's.
12000 Metro Kit

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 pm

This is what I've experienced.

When a humbucker has it's coils connected in parallel it ends up sounding a bit like a Strat and is good for clean funk/disco guitar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Hhqu3frUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Normally all combinations of pickups in a Strat are in parallel.

When a 16k JB has one of it's coils cut it is basically a 8k single coil and like I said above I use a Hard Ash body Maple neck Fender Lead I with a single coil (coil cut) bridge JB wired in parallel with a neck lace sensor to simulate some of the Strat pickup combinations and it works well and just using the bridge single coil (coil cut) JB gives me a sort of Tele sound and just using the bridge JB with both coils in series (standard wiring no coil cut) gives me a sort of Les Paul sound.

The Fender Lead I has strings through the body like a Tele and no tremolo and ends up sounding different to a Tele or a Strat but can simulate a Tele or a Strat or a Les Paul with the right pickup combos.

So I have

neck Lace Sensor in parallel with bridge JB connected in series (standard no coil cut)

neck Lace Sensor in parallel with bridge JB single coil (coil cut)

bridge JB single coil (coil cut)

bridge JB connected in series (standard no coil cut)

and I can also cut out the JB and just have the neck Lace Sensor

I do all this pickup switching with the Fender Lead I's 2 switches.

It ends up being pretty versatile and for some unknown reason the Lace Sensor and the JB combine very well

The reason that I installed a neck Lace sensor (Fender Lead I comes with no neck pickup and just a bridge humbucker) was because I wasn't happy with just the sound of a bridge JB wired in parallel and would rather have one of the bridge JB's coils wired in parallel with the neck Lace Sensor which sounds a lot better and fuller.

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 am

i guess one thing about the lace sensor in combo with the cut coil JB is the different physical positions result in you getting a sum of the two different spots on the string - as compared to the parallel JB coils which are right next to each other.

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:00 am

Yes, both coils are too close to the bridge when a humbucker's coils are connected in parallel IMO.

The parallel coils need to have some distance between them like on a Strat.

uiovbged332
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by uiovbged332 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:17 pm

Moncler Outlet
New Jordan 11
Moncler Jacket
Air Max 270
Fjallraven Kanken
James Harden shoes
Jordan Retro 11 Mens