Ed's Knob

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

leadguy

Re: Ed's Knob

Post by leadguy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:42 am

Ed had 0% influence on my guitar playing and I heard VH1 in 82 and by that time my guitar style was set in stone but I did have a go at Spanish Fly around 87 and a few years ago I've been having on/off attempts at Beat It and VH1.

What's interesting about Ed's style is that it seems to be Clapton on the bottom with all this other stuff on the top of it with Ed's own weird hyper blues spin especially in the timing.

I'll sometimes be going through a VH1 solo and think where have I seen that before or something like it and it will be Billy Gibbons or someone but Ed's still got his own thing on the top of it.

To me, I leave Ed's stuff out of the way I play because it's so Ed and I just respect how Ed plays and does his thing.

Anyone that can't play the blues and I don't mean just basic blues but advanced blues with swing elements, cannot in my opinion get hold of the nuances in Ed's playing.

I went through a period around 83 when I thought I had to figure out WTF Django was doing and I got somewhere with it but I had to stop because I didn't want to be a Django clone but I learnt a lot and I think someone can learn a lot from Ed without becoming an Ed clone.

Same thing with anyone really. There is no use trying to be a Holdsworth clone but studying Holdsworth can be interesting.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:13 am

leadguy wrote: and not have schoolboy like personal attacks either.
You need to take your own advice!!

You are still way off on this. Im sorry but the things you post.....I just don't think you get this set up....All you want to do is try to prove me wrong. Look at the guys that try this......I don't think they are proving you right.

All you do is quote stuff....but it seems you have never tried this set up......no one has ever gone after Eds tone using magazines and interviews......we know he says whatever he feels like.....you could come up with a bunch of ideas of what he did...you could put this puzzle together 100 different ways .....if you follow this stuff.....and most of the time you would be off....
Last edited by MarkCameron on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:33 am

MarkCameron wrote:
spaceace76 wrote:There are many problems with the M.C. photos, and the lack of a knob isn't really one of them. First, there's nothing solid to indicate this is THE amp. The photos are heavily cropped and don't show much of the inside walls of the chassis which would help us figure out if it's the right amp. Second, this might not be the original spec of the amp, and if these shots were taken by Cameron himself they would be how the amp is today, not really how it was 30 years ago. Plus, there are no notes to tell us what the values are, so we can't even experiment to see if the specs pictured are any good.

Photos of Bigfoot are nice, but a live Bigfoot would be better. :lol:
Dave F already said it is the same amp. Im not going to give you guys fake info ...whats the point?? :roll: really whats to be gained by that ???? Some where around here I posted the rest of the pics ...with hole for master and s# ..........kind of stock....74 SLP type circuit w/.047 output caps.......not that big of a deal.
I've searched the forums high and low here for some time M.C. Other than the cropped photo, I've never seen the rest. I don't believe anyone here has them.

If you would repost those photos It would be greatly appreciated.
12000 Metro Kit

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 am

MarkCameron wrote:

You are still way off on this.
I think you need to contact Ed and tell him he's full of BS.
I'm not Ed and I don't know for sure WTF Ed did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:10 am

leadguy wrote:
MarkCameron wrote:
leadguy wrote:“I was the only one back then who would just take everything on the amp and turn it full-blast up. And between songs, I would walk back to the amp and go, ‘Why won’t it go up any further?’ I’ve been pretty much known to push everything past the limit, then back it off a little bit, you know? It’s kind of like a finely tuned racecar—they push everything to the limit. It’s gotta scream.”

“In the old club days, I used to take that stuff you tack on the wall in the recording studio—that egg carton foam stuff—I used to have a slab of that and I’d duct-tape it to the from of my cabinet because I felt bad for the people sitting right down front sipping there little Mai Tai, or whatever the hell, with the cabinet three feet away from their heads. I was kind to them.”

“I remember when we played clubs—I had that approach to my playing since about ’74 with the old amps I used to use—people would tell me ‘You can’t use them like that!’ I’d go ‘Really? Watch this!’ There were little tricks that I did to keep it from blowing. All kinds of guitarists used to keep on coming; snooping around; seeing what the hell I was doing, but it was pretty basic, really—just turn it all the way up.”

I work/worked in these clubs...(started doing this stuff at 13...I'm 42 now).........if you really think this stuff is true .......I don't think you have ever played live in a club like these.

"There were little tricks that I did to keep it from blowing"

"In the old club days, I used to take that stuff you tack on the wall in the recording studio—that egg carton foam stuff—I used to have a slab of that and I’d duct-tape it to the from of my cabinet because I felt bad for the people sitting right down front sipping there little Mai Tai, or whatever the hell, with the cabinet three feet away from their heads. I was kind to them.”

This he did do!! but it seemed he did this mostly with the Fender amp from what I understand.

Leadguy you are sooooooooooooooooooo off and coming to wrong conclusions from lack of experience....its :lol:
Whatever, those quotes are from Ed not from me.

FYI I saw and played with Aussie pub bands like Rose Tattoo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6JX5w7HgHI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and AC/DC before they went to England and also unknown bands that were playing Deep Purple or whatever covers and there was no slaving going on just a Marshall turned up.
If anyone says this is impossible well it's BS.
It was loud.
I don't play at pubs/clubs anymore and havn't really since the 80s and a fair few pubs/clubs have shut down or gone DJ.

Personally I'd rather not talk about myself and not have schoolboy like personal attacks either.

I'm sure the Mumps guitarist is slaving at the Whiskey.

There are clubs here too where you can do that ..... BUT thats NOT the Whiskey or most of the LA clubs.....It just would not work.

If you where posting on what AC/DC used......I would listen....that's what you where around.....you where there.....and why are you not!!.. you where there...post what you really know about instead of speculating about something you where not around for.
Last edited by MarkCameron on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:16 am

leadguy wrote:
MarkCameron wrote:

You are still way off on this.
I think you need to contact Ed and tell him he's full of BS.
I'm not Ed and I don't know for sure WTF Ed did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And I could find some mag that will go against this....this way of going about this will get no answers.....nor will you change what Ive seen and know.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:23 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:
MarkCameron wrote:
spaceace76 wrote:There are many problems with the M.C. photos, and the lack of a knob isn't really one of them. First, there's nothing solid to indicate this is THE amp. The photos are heavily cropped and don't show much of the inside walls of the chassis which would help us figure out if it's the right amp. Second, this might not be the original spec of the amp, and if these shots were taken by Cameron himself they would be how the amp is today, not really how it was 30 years ago. Plus, there are no notes to tell us what the values are, so we can't even experiment to see if the specs pictured are any good.

Photos of Bigfoot are nice, but a live Bigfoot would be better. :lol:
Dave F already said it is the same amp. Im not going to give you guys fake info ...whats the point?? :roll: really whats to be gained by that ???? Some where around here I posted the rest of the pics ...with hole for master and s# ..........kind of stock....74 SLP type circuit w/.047 output caps.......not that big of a deal.
I've searched the forums high and low here for some time M.C. Other than the cropped photo, I've never seen the rest. I don't believe anyone here has them.

If you would repost those photos It would be greatly appreciated.
Bump.
12000 Metro Kit

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:31 am

vanhalen5150 wrote: Bump.
Ill look for them.....there on my old hard drive
...again.... its just ...kind of stock....74 SLP type circuit w/.047 output caps

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:35 am

MarkCameron wrote:
vanhalen5150 wrote: Bump.
Ill look for them.....there on my old hard drive
...again.... its just ...kind of stock....74 SLP type circuit w/.047 output caps
Thanks Mark. Appreciated. I'm in the process of building a Metro 12XXX series. Would just be nice to have a visual for the direction I want to go in.
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:28 am

Are these them? I have them labeled as such on my computer. The do not, however, show a hole in the rear panel for the "knob."
Last edited by rgorke on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:53 am

rgorke wrote:Are these them? I have them labeled as such on my computer. The do not, however, show a hole in the rear panel for the "knob."

Thats not the amp

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 pm

that's from a collection of photos of an amp that is supposedly a clone of Ed's #1. not meant to be THE amp. I hope Mark can dig up those photos, we've all been dying to see the rest of them

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:38 pm

MarkCameron wrote:
rgorke wrote:Are these them? I have them labeled as such on my computer. The do not, however, show a hole in the rear panel for the "knob."

Thats not the amp
I didn't think so. I have the pics somewhere but couldn't remember.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:39 pm

spaceace76 wrote:that's from a collection of photos of an amp that is supposedly a clone of Ed's #1. not meant to be THE amp. I hope Mark can dig up those photos, we've all been dying to see the rest of them
I think you are absolutely right.

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:14 pm

rgorke wrote:
spaceace76 wrote:that's from a collection of photos of an amp that is supposedly a clone of Ed's #1. not meant to be THE amp. I hope Mark can dig up those photos, we've all been dying to see the rest of them
I think you are absolutely right.
Its not.