Ed's Knob

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

leadguy

Ed's Knob

Post by leadguy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:10 am

Ed's knob does not seem to have a slot in the end of the white shaft for a screwdriver or whatever and the knob appears to have a rounded shaft end and the sticker right near the knob appears to be torn so maybe the sticker was not that new.

What the knob is, who knows.

"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

jds22

Re: Ed's Knob

Post by jds22 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:38 am

Ed's knob is none of my business.

Star*Guitar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Star*Guitar » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:11 am

jds22 wrote:Ed's knob is none of my business.
If you didn't say that I would have... :lol: :twisted:
Star*Guitar

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 pm

Wait, are we talking about Ed's knob or Ed's shaft? I'm confused.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

jcm800nut

Post by jcm800nut » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:45 pm

HAA! Now that's a funny thread title....

You guys crack me up!

Grosh_Guitars
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Grosh_Guitars » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:15 pm

plus that would hurt if you stuck a screw driver in your shaft...
Sound Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

psychodave

Post by psychodave » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Who knows... some of those old plastic knobs were only knurled and had no split...since the plastic would break easily. For all we know, that could be an up/middle/down switch.

I always wondered if there are stickers to the left of the knob with settings listed.

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:12 pm

I always thought that was the ARCO Electronics sticker that Jose would use. 'Only speculation though. I always doubted that his head was mod’ed while Rose Palace owned it. Why would they?
~guitar007

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:08 am

guitar007 wrote:I always thought that was the ARCO Electronics sticker that Jose would use. 'Only speculation though. I always doubted that his head was mod’ed while Rose Palace owned it. Why would they?
Wasn't it used as a PA there. Why would you mode, cascade whatever.... to add gain if so.... for a PA?
12000 Metro Kit

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:27 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote: Wasn't it used as a PA there. Why would you mode, cascade whatever.... to add gain if so.... for a PA?
In those days marshall used to make pa amplifiers(model 1963 and others, bass spec , shared cathode, 4 channel)....cascading would give the plexi pa more signal that's for sure. This pasadena place was a pretty big venue so you needed as much gain as possible. Solution an extra preamp stage . For control a volume control....the amp mod probably wasn't even designed with guitar in mind but just simple preamp boost. Remember modern day pa systems were non existant ...they used tube based amps. I'll bet after they sold Ed the amp they went to transistor pa amps. :) The holy grail changeth

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:36 am

GP: What kind of amps are you now using?

EVH: Well, in the studio I use my old Marshall, my precious baby. it gets a slightly different sound. Live I use new Marshalls. I made the mistake of taking my main one out on the road last year and I lost it on the way back from Japan. It was flying around India somewhere and six months later, thank God, I got it back. This is the one I bought when I was a kid. I didn’t even know what I had until now. It’s very old; it has a Plexiglas front. It used to be the house amp at the Pasadena Rose Palace; whoever played there has played through it. It’s a real good amp -- unbelievable balls!

It's not really correct what Ed said as the photos of Led Zep playing at the Rose Palace show Jimmy Page using his own amps. I would expect all the bands that played there used their own amps. The only well known player I can think of that just uses the venues house amp is Chuck Berry.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/image/photos ... may-1969-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/image/photos ... may-1969-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/image/photos ... may-1969-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/image/photos ... may-1969-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there are other Pasadena Rose Palace photos of Jimmy Pages Amps around as well.

A place like the Rose Palace is concerned about volume when Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Ritchie Blackmore etc played there, yeah right.

Ed's knob has nothing to do with the Rose Palace IMO and Ed's had the amp since around 1970.

To find out what Ed's knob is likely to be, the first thing to do is dismiss all the internet BS from people that were supposed to see the amp and all the other crap and start from square one with the early boots up to VHII and use your ears with the early boots and demos and iso's and also use amp tube electronics know how and approach it in a connect the dots way with what is known and what is unknown way and not with some wild theories based on internet BS from people no one really knows.
ROBIN L. could very well be C e r r e m for instance for all we know.

I think I've got a clue as to what the knob was and it isn't anything I've posted before about the knob.

I can't help putting the Rumsfeld quote here even though no one really knew what he was talking about,

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we now know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we do not know we don’t know."

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:58 am

leadguy wrote:
I think I've got a clue as to what the knob was and it isn't anything I've posted before about the knob.
:D Lay it on us. We *can* handle the truth.
~guitar007

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:28 am

After much connecting of the dots I say it's a white knob.

Could this be Ed's amp in May 1969 at the Rose Palace.
It appears to be unused and Page was using a Vox UL4120 at the Rose Palace http://dam.10.forumer.com/a/jimmy-page- ... t1081.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and John Paul Jones was using Acoustic amps at the Rose Palace.

Could also be one of Jimmy's.

"Marshall 1959SLP - Super Leads

The first known stage appearance of the Marshall’s during Led Zeppelin was in March 1969. He would use one up through June '69 along side with the arbiter Power 100 and Vox UL4120. The Marshall’s were likely being used for guitar at times and the theremin."

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:43 pm

If those are shots from the Pasadena Rose palace it's plausible that's the amp. It has the ground switch, and since it's not being used it does seem out of place. But obviously we can't say if it's Jimmy's or the venue's, and there are no shots of the back of the amp from this time period, so it's not a very fruitful search here. I do believe it's a knob, but i think for any of us to declare that it must be one thing or another is somewhat absurd. all we know is that it was there, and that's about it. many people have gotten close to his tone without funky knob mods, so i don't get why we're so hung up on it anyway.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:18 pm

spaceace76 wrote:. many people have gotten close to his tone without funky knob mods, so i don't get why we're so hung up on it anyway.
Maybe because Ed did? ...here is a part of a pic of the supposed amp that was the prototytpe for the Jose /Ed golden amp....notice it has a red sticker covering what probably was hole....and later removed.
Modremoved.jpg