Ed's Knob

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

jnewlyn
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Ed's Knob

Post by jnewlyn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:46 pm

I would think that knob had everything to do with it being the house amp. A master to tame the volume so the sound guy could work with it easier. :what:
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:54 pm

jnewlyn wrote:I would think that knob had everything to do with it being the house amp. A master to tame the volume so the sound guy could work with it easier. :what:
I would agree if there was a pic of that amp before EVH got it with that plastic sticking out..

Marshall SL12301
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:10 pm

jnewlyn wrote:I would think that knob had everything to do with it being the house amp. A master to tame the volume so the sound guy could work with it easier. :what:
ding,ding,ding we have a winner!!! :champ: I have always thought this! :thumbsup:
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Regardless of when it was installed (BE, or AE...before or after Ed)...can we presume it was a Jose install since it had the reported ARRCO sticker under it?
~guitar007

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Well that's the end of that ..Jose installed master volumes with his zener clamp...so zener clamp it is ...over driving it which has been discussed before can only be achieved by increasing the plate resistor as some do ..cascading or boosting from an outboard device...that's why when Rockstash made plexi clips with it they sounded like nothing special and just limited his volume..

If you think about it ..it would make sense from a Pasedena bar perspective to have the volume limited like that....like a governer on truck...so EVH liked what it did and left it in their till VH3...

I think were going around in circles...may as well archive the metro forum and hit replay. :lol:

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 pm

guitar007 wrote:Regardless of when it was installed (BE, or AE...before or after Ed)...can we presume it was a Jose install since it had the reported ARRCO sticker under it?
Not necessarily. If it was before Ed, who's to say Jose did it? The sticker could have been put there at any point, before or after. But yes, maybe Jose did do it and when Ed bought it, was consequently led to Jose from there.
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Hmmmm!

I wouldn't pay attention to all those amp stories too much.

Ed doesn't even seem to have his main Marshall around 1973 http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sticker next to the white knob only seems to be on Ed's main amp and there doesn't seem to be stickers on his other amps probably because they have no white knobs and zener masters.

The sticker is in a place and is of the same size as a Jose sticker.

The signal voltage at the tone stack of a stock 12 series Plexi will vary depending on what's driving the amp.
Also the Zener voltage will clip a stock 12 series Plexi at the tonestack but it depends on what Zener voltage values are used and how much the amp is being driven.

I don't know if Rockstah ever got his zener values and configuration quite right and he seems to have got bored with them pretty quick and moved on to other things from what I can see on older threads.

"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:00 am

Good Guest wrote:Read'em and weep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_JVL91V3OE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
I wanna go play at Zach's house for a while.

He has posted here before but listening to him play, that amp sounds great. I listened to a different youtube that was suppose to be a Jose modded marshall. It sounded good but too much gain for EVH.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:19 pm

leadguy wrote:So it all starts making a bit of sense if Ed got his number 1 Plexi with the knob in 1977.

Ed was supposed to have got his number 1 Plexi in 1970 when he was 14/15 but whatever amp Ed bought from the Pasadena Rose Palace was not the number 1 with the knob.

It explains why Ed's boots from 1974/75 sound like a conventional Marshall with a loose bottom end and nothing special.

It explains why Ed's gear (and it is Ed's gear with a few later overdubs) on the 1976 Gene Simmons demos sounds different.

Ed was collecting heads and probably selling heads right up to VH1 (and after).

Looks like he gets the wooden Plexi after the Gene Simmons demos and his number 1 Plexi with the knob sometime between the start of 1977 and May 1977.

All Plexi heads are not created equal.
Digging up an old thread here. Love this title haha! Leadguy's theory is that Ed may have bought 12301 right before the first record. I'm thinking 12301 might be in this picture below. No logo, looks like 3 switches. Supposedly this photo was taken in late 1973 San Gabriel Valley.

What do you guys think?

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu May 04, 2017 5:07 pm

echoplexi1974 wrote:
leadguy wrote:So it all starts making a bit of sense if Ed got his number 1 Plexi with the knob in 1977.

Ed was supposed to have got his number 1 Plexi in 1970 when he was 14/15 but whatever amp Ed bought from the Pasadena Rose Palace was not the number 1 with the knob.

It explains why Ed's boots from 1974/75 sound like a conventional Marshall with a loose bottom end and nothing special.

It explains why Ed's gear (and it is Ed's gear with a few later overdubs) on the 1976 Gene Simmons demos sounds different.

Ed was collecting heads and probably selling heads right up to VH1 (and after).

Looks like he gets the wooden Plexi after the Gene Simmons demos and his number 1 Plexi with the knob sometime between the start of 1977 and May 1977.

All Plexi heads are not created equal.
Digging up an old thread here. Love this title haha! Leadguy's theory is that Ed may have bought 12301 right before the first record. I'm thinking 12301 might be in this picture below. No logo, looks like 3 switches. Supposedly this photo was taken in late 1973 San Gabriel Valley.

What do you guys think?

Great Picture...looks like Alex is saying..."Dude, turn that down!!!!"
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

FL6

Post by FL6 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:20 pm

I'd say the 2 guys in the back are laughing at Roth. :lol:

Star*Guitar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Star*Guitar » Sat May 06, 2017 1:01 pm

And I say the four girls sitting on the ground want him. I'd take two guys laughing at me, as long as I can have the for 4 girls wanting me anytime. lol :toast:
Star*Guitar

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 pm

"Jose gave the amp an extra preamp tube, as well as a special pull knob. 'When you pulled the knob out, it dropped the volume, but you still had all this gain,' Jay continues. 'It sounded like it was on ten.'"

https://reverb.com/news/how-4-high-gain ... 4-56468129

Scroll down to the Jose section. The myster only deepens.
~guitar007

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 pm

:scratch:
So my question then is this...

(disclaimer; & I could probably scour the forum to see if there are any posts concerning the peavey VTM 120... But)

If this is what Jay is quoted as saying-

"What I basically wanted was that kind of first Van Halen album sound, and he seemed to know exactly what I wanted," Jay says.

Then would that mean (nutshell) that the peavy VTM 120 Has the correct "stuff" - you know, when comparing it to say, ED working with peavy to come up with the 5150... Which I know VHaholic and others have had some great results with their 5150's

Would the VTM's sound any closer to the real deal?... '78 like era? Proper Jose like muscle under the hood so to speak... :lol:
Even though there are still a ton of other key factors in the equation of course-

This would be more of a question of, if one was 'buying' an amp for the closest, correct sounding box to the early stuff... Given what's out there for purchasing- and excluding any... say, 12xxx metros that other wonderfully talented forumites have built that capture the sound in spades more or less...

I just haven't seen or heard any - ehhh really great/good VH like sound clips of the VTM 120/ And or 60...

:popcorn:

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Not quite sure I follow that response?-
-Palm in face? - was that directed at what I have inquired about?
-& the PS- Special thanks to the names mentioned?

I was only asking if anyone has messed with that 120... Being that the amp, according to that Jay quote, was jose'd up to supposedly achieve the early sounds.
I just haven't heard or seen any "VH" clips with that amp.
I know Phil's amp kills hands down- but I'm no builder. Dudes here have had the magic sauce for some time now, obviously...
But like I said, only curious about anyone's take or experience, if any, with that Peavy.

Forgive me for being a little :mrgreen:
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic towards me or not-

:peace: