EVH Tone - Pickup Roundup

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: EVH Tone - Pickup Roundup

Post by rgorke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:53 pm

rdodson wrote:
rgorke wrote:So glad MY pickup thread is about bodies...that beings said, is there a side by side of #22 and #28 and Franky?
Sorry! Apologies.

its all good.... :thumbsup:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:34 pm

#22 is Alder :D #28 is obviously ash.

Back to pick ups. As far as I'm concerned, the ONE pickup that gets EVH tone in the WIDEST variety of applications (different guitars, amps, etc)is the Wolfgang (Frankenstein) hb'er. Basically a Duncan 'Custom Custom' but very slightly different. Obviously/ultimately its just a variation of the tried and true Duncan 'Custom' minus the ceramic magnet (not a fan of them (ceramic mags) ). A Duncan '78 is much more finnicky about the guitar its in (though excellent when matched to a particular set up).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

vh1tone
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vh1tone » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:#22 is Alder :D #28 is obviously ash.

Back to pick ups. As far as I'm concerned, the ONE pickup that gets EVH tone in the WIDEST variety of applications (different guitars, amps, etc)is the Wolfgang (Frankenstein) hb'er. Basically a Duncan 'Custom Custom' but very slightly different. Obviously/ultimately its just a variation of the tried and true Duncan 'Custom' minus the ceramic magnet (not a fan of them (ceramic mags) ). A Duncan '78 is much more finnicky about the guitar its in (though excellent when matched to a particular set up).
What's the full specs of the Wolfgang pickup ?

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 pm

From what I gather, its simply a Duncan 'Custom'(Ceramic magnet), except, the Wolfgang has an A2 magnet. So, basically the Wolfgang is a Duncan 'Custom Custom'. The actual grade of A2 is different in the Wolfgang though. People who have both the 'CC' and the Wolfgang who have tried them in the same guitar (ejslxplexi I believe) have said they are quite similar. 14kish is the output. Basically all of the Fender Wolfs and Fender EVH striped strats have this pu.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 pm

I got to say,even though I dont like the looks, the Wolfgangs are super comfortable to play and pretty much outperform the competition. I like my thrown togather parts strats best though, just like Ed used to do back in the pre floyd rose days.