Maybe Ed IS telling the truth !

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

ROCK€
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Maybe Ed IS telling the truth !

Post by ROCK€ » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:56 pm

leadguy wrote: Ed could have hid the variac in a box backstage if he had wanted to but there is the variac in all the old photos and Ed's not hiding it. Ed could have hid the white knob at the back of the Plexi when Zloz was taking photos or that Japanese cameraman but Ed didn't. There are photos of Ed's trem setup that Ed could have hidden with a backplate but didn't. Ed being highly secretive is just BS to me.
Well said!

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 pm

As far as Ed's basics, he told it like it is. As far as the recorded tones we all know... I really don't think he knows what Don.L did with the raw tracts. Maybe that's why some believe in the slave/reamped theory, but it so far only applies to the albums as we have no proof either.
12000 Metro Kit

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:19 pm

There sure is a lot of cherry picking of what Ed says going on, that's for sure. Ed says plenty of stuff like jose modded this that and the next thing, which means all his effects are or have been modded.

Quoting Rudy is another cherry picking mess. Rudy says Ed's phaser has been modded. If your going to look at everything Ed and Rudy says as gospel then you have to believe it all....which means were all going around in circles just waiting for the next quote.

What of the stick of dynamite..Ed says cap..others claim "The mod" while others claim master volume cap....Ed says it drops down the voltage like a variac..but he doesn't have it in full view like his variac and what is a "boosted amp"? Oh well back to the merry go round... :lol:

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:46 pm

And not to mention the so called photos of "the" amp. Everytime the person resurfaces that "has" them, they are always "stuck on an old hard drive somewhere". I've been hearing that myth for 4 years now. If they show a stock amp, whats the big deal? If it's some special mode why say you have them in the first place, and not be able to produce?
Then again, so does the famous mystical dynamite pic.

You'd think I have other stuff to worry about on a Monday. But I don't. :lol:
12000 Metro Kit

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Strat78 wrote:Thanks Dave! So the question remains: Why is that "Robin L" thread still a sticky. Not much jived in that thread as far as early VH is concerned and this reiterates that. Am I missing something?
ROBIN L has just popped up in another section of the forum
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So clearly he comes on here once in a while. Dunno why he isn't showing up here to join our discussion.

One thing that always bothered me about his info was that we had to take his word on it. I'm sure most here aren't the distrusting type, but in a situation where the facts have to be independently verified, we need more that just "trust me i know this stuff, i was there". especially after 30 years of lost memories and details. The info in that thread has been thoroughly debunked, i think it's time a mod removes it from sticky status

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 pm

spaceace76 wrote:
Strat78 wrote:Thanks Dave! So the question remains: Why is that "Robin L" thread still a sticky. Not much jived in that thread as far as early VH is concerned and this reiterates that. Am I missing something?
ROBIN L has just popped up in another section of the forum
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So clearly he comes on here once in a while. Dunno why he isn't showing up here to join our discussion.

One thing that always bothered me about his info was that we had to take his word on it. I'm sure most here aren't the distrusting type, but in a situation where the facts have to be independently verified, we need more that just "trust me i know this stuff, i was there". especially after 30 years of lost memories and details. The info in that thread has been thoroughly debunked, i think it's time a mod removes it from sticky status
Robin L could have posted a few unseen photos to prove a minimal association. There was absolutely no proof of his identity. Since most of us here try to debug the topic, there is virtually no credibility to anything he has said. Even if it is all actually true. The theory of him not wanting to divulge his identity with Ed's "secrets" is horse hockey.
12000 Metro Kit

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:50 pm

exactly. he made it sound like he burned his bridge with Ed a long time ago, but refused to ID himself. those two just don't make sense together. what would Ed do if he found out? curse and scream at him? that would probably be the worst thing he could do, and according to Robin L he parted ways with Ed after the 1984 tour, so what does he care if someone he knew a quarter of a century ago was pissed at him?

i think Ed's reputation for secrecy is a mixture of misquotes, misleading/uneducated accounts, and his attitude of late regarding gear. remember that video where Sammy is giving a tour of the backstage and as they pass Ed's room, Ed blocks the camera as if to hide some mountainous secret? I kinda got the feeling he wasn't hiding anything, he was just keeping people away from his setup for the sake of keeping them away. if a clumsy reporter knocks something over, or runs in and interrupts your pre-show practice time, you'd probably get defensive the next time the camera crew showed up too.

so why bother with the Robin L stuff, or taking anyone's word for that matter. the sound can be deduced from the available photos and the right playing technique. there are certain tricks to emulate studio magic too. You don't need Ed's strange tech talk or RL's BS, the photos and a bit of tweaking here and there will get you there, provided your hands are working well too

motrock

Post by motrock » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 pm

I think its funny how people try to make 5150 Studio's out to be frickin Area 51! LOL

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:38 pm

There are quite a few players like Ed that had that secrecy thing going on one way or another. Jeff Beck has done it (early days)....I don't think there's anything wrong or funny about that... I look at it like in a form of a patent. It is one's signature sound, right...?
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:35 am

I look at the patent being Ed and different gear makes him sound brighter or darker or more edgy or less edgy but it's always obvious to pick out Ed no matter what he is playing, even when it's a nylon string guitar.

ROBIN L. quote

"I 've owned mine for 18 months now, I picked it up at the Marshall factory in 2008."

So looks like the mysterious ROBIN L. is an English BS Artist?

22/02/2010
Paul Marshall - son of the founder of Marshall amplification, Jim Marshall - takes us on a tour of the Marshall amplifier factory. This very cool video shows you how your Marshall amplifier is made, tested and serviced at the factory in Bletchley, Milton Keynes.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:39 am

FWIW Robin L. did say he spent a lot of time in Europe...

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:51 am

leadguy wrote:
So looks like the mysterious ROBIN L. is an English BS Artist?

He's Master Robin's. Aka "Higgin's"

I realize some of you kids won't get that. :shock:
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 am

:D , Yeah, in real life that dude is a Texan who sounded like Stevie Ray talking.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:28 am

I agree with everything being said here, in regards to Ed's use of equipment back when.

If I had to give my take on what Ed's truthfulness was in those old and new interviews, I'd say he was probably pretty much telling the truth. I think he was really telling the truth about Jose' not modding his stuff (though I dont think he thought a v1 cascade 'one wire' (white knob ?) was really a big thing, nor do I think his Phase 90 (possibly was modded for less modulation ?) was considered by him (Ed) as a big deal.

I dont think Ed really has a 'Skeleton in his closet', but I do think he may have an 'Ankle bone and a few teeth in there' :D .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

SLP1959

Post by SLP1959 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:38 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:Then again, so does the famous mystical dynamite pic.
Exactly, such a crusial thing...., but nobody is able to repost it? :?

(maybe it was confused with some loadbox pics Mark C. posted here a while ago?)
Stock Plexi! Are you deaf????