My MXR 6 Band with VariPlex!

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

motrock

Re: My MXR 6 Band with VariPlex!

Post by motrock » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:49 pm

cary chilton wrote:Twaang thanks for the spectrum read out, I was about too call the nay-sayers stoned baffoons because that tone for Eruption was DEADNUTS. Like I said, I love it. It is closer to Eruption than anyone here has EVER gotten, period. That said, as learned from tweaking in Eleven to match 34 VH songs they are all very different. Good news for Motrock, the VH 1 tones are generally all variations from YRGM, Eruption and I'm The One. If Motrock experiements he should be able to dial any album tone.

The hairiness some talked about is simply too much signal with the pedals... probably the EP-PRE. Ed's sound was hairy but he controlled the hair. ;) So Motrock, Keep the EP-pre for coloration, but if using the MXR with it's boost, keep the EP's level down. ;)

The Darkburst, changed won't get it's sound anymore, so don't mess with it. ;)

Motrock, you hit Eruption GOLD here so you now need ( should?) get the complete specs and work DAVE F did and changed on the vari-plex. You said it is a totally different amp... well I think that might be a bit much, but what do you mean, specifically?

If you want more VINTAGE might might or VINTAGE DSD if your answer.

I have listed what my ear hears for the possible pu per album tone in past threads.... should be made a sticky! ;) My ear told me that Motrock's Eruption tone was dead nuts immediately. ...easy to discern. I think I am correct about my pu ideas. Ask Ralle if he thinks I was on the money with suggesting to him, several times, to give the vintage DSD a try again. ;)
I have to agree on the EP-Pre... I need to back down on it. I had it up a little bit. I will agree with you on that. As far as the Variplex... the character of the amp changed with the OT change and filtering change. It sounds like a different amp, and not so much a VariPlex anymore. Its beefier and has more aggression. Its hard to dial in Van Halen tones, because you are right... every song is different on every album. Its amazing how many different tones Eddie has. I guess I am going to experiment and hear what tones I can get of Eddies. VHI is getting to be close to NAILED... I am still hearing something different then what I have going on. But hey... I am picky! LOL

Thanks for the compliments!

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 am

It isn't perfect, but look at the spectrum graph, it is close enough to create inspiration to play guitar huh? no? If you don't want that sound, then put a different pickup or 100's more or buy my TC Integrated pre amp or Boss GE-10 ;)for more sounds within a theme. IF none of that helps, then you should be looking for a different body wood for your sound. Or start using od or dist pedal or a different amp.

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:13 am

This leads to an interesting point about our ears.

Everyone has different ears just like fingerprints I suppose.

Good Guest seems to like hairy things and others do too but some others don't like so much hair.

The hair would be coming mostly from the distortion characteristics of the harmonics and also the upper frequency harmonic content.

Some peoples ears might be picking up the distortion characteristics of the harmonics and upper frequency harmonic content more than others because different peoples hearing varies.

Some people might just like odd harmonic distortion and upper harmonics more than others.

Maybe we should all have hearing tests done before we post any comments :D
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

TWANGGG
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by TWANGGG » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:30 am

leadguy wrote:This leads to an interesting point about our ears.

Good Guest seems to like hairy things and others do too but some others don't like so much hair.

The hair would be coming mostly from the distortion characteristics of the harmonics and also the upper frequency harmonic content.

Some peoples ears might be picking up the distortion characteristics of the harmonics and upper frequency harmonic content more than others because different peoples hearing varies.

Some people might just like odd harmonic distortion and upper harmonics more than others.

Absolutely leadguy, there is no doubt our ears hear things differently. Combine that with our varied tastes and it's easy to see why one fella's nasty fizzy guitar tone may be another man's hallowed "brown sound".

Considering where this discussion is taking place though we can generally agree on being in to a certain guitar tone I would think. :vh: We do know that even Eddie himself thought his guitar was mixed too bright on VH1.

I'll add that in my case, and likely the case for many others too, there is even a very slight difference between the way I perceive sounds with my own left and right ears. I blame this wholly on Landee and Templeman for hard panning Eddie's blasting guitar track in to my left ear, of course :listen: !!

Motrock, are you happy with the sound you hear coming out of your rig as is?

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:08 am

Also Age as well.

You're all going deaf and that's why you all need too much hair :mrgreen:

Ed's new album tone will probably be like a fuzzball.

Men

Women (are there any Women on this forum?)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/age-s ... _1474.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sound and Tone interpretation reminds me of witnesses to an accident who can give wildly differing accounts of the accident and many accounts turn out to be just plain wrong.

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:50 am

If you have a sex change then your hearing will improve, especially for the high end.

Edwina Van Halen :shock:

motrock

Post by motrock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:00 am

TWANGGG wrote:

Absolutely leadguy, there is no doubt our ears hear things differently. Combine that with our varied tastes and it's easy to see why one fella's nasty fizzy guitar tone may be another man's hallowed "brown sound".

Considering where this discussion is taking place though we can generally agree on being in to a certain guitar tone I would think. :vh: We do know that even Eddie himself thought his guitar was mixed too bright on VH1.

I'll add that in my case, and likely the case for many others too, there is even a very slight difference between the way I perceive sounds with my own left and right ears. I blame this wholly on Landee and Templeman for hard panning Eddie's blasting guitar track in to my left ear, of course :listen: !!

Motrock, are you happy with the sound you hear coming out of your rig as is?
I am extremely happy with what I am hearing. As you can hear from the clip... I am getting closer. But...I have to agree with what Goodguest said. Ralle, Rockstah, and I are all missing something from the tone. He calls it 600hz. What I am hear; and this is my terminology, is a lack of chewiness. I hear the crunch, but its missing the chewy thing that Eddie has going on. I can't really describe it. Does that make sense?

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:12 am

Are you using 2 mics? :scratch:
12000 Metro Kit

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 am

This all very true...and here's a neat tidbit...It's not listening to high frequency's for extended periods that causes high frequency loss but low frequencies. So EVH if he is suffering it probabl;y isn't from his guitar pkaying but the bass and drums....saying that ...it is also true that the older you get the more hearing loss , usually the high end that one suffers...so we should be just listening to the tonal opinions from those under 30. :listen:

Anyways here is a link to a site I have place on here before ,when someone shows si gns of bad hearing.

http://www.freehearingtest.com/test.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well I passed :champ: Your turn Leadguy.......pass or fail

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 am

God that was hard to take.

The Test Tone was bad enough.

I heard the whole lot up to 8 kHz, unfortunately.

TWANGGG

Post by TWANGGG » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:48 am

I found another one, and this one goes to 22khz... :stars: My poor dog, sorry girl! Have your pets leave the room before you start playing these! :lol:
http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can ... ring-test/

I could hear the 16k well, but not 17k. How about you guys?

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am

I just could hear the 15K. Really needs to to be done with isolation headphones I guess.
12000 Metro Kit

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:58 am

I ain't no teenager, that's for sure.

The higher you go, the harder it will be for the speakers, especially some laptop inbuilt speakers that just manage to sort of function at the lower frequencies.

TWANGGG

Post by TWANGGG » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:Are you using 2 mics? :scratch:
+1

motrock, adding another mic in to the mix will help bridge some of those frequency gaps that you hear. You can see them too in the "motrock vs VH1" comparison spectrum pic I posted.
Last edited by TWANGGG on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 pm

leadguy wrote:I ain't no teenager, that's for sure.

The higher you go, the harder it will be for the speakers, especially some laptop inbuilt speakers that just manage to sort of function at the lower frequencies.
I think your right. I had trouble with the low end from GG's link. Background noise can creep in pretty easy without headphones.
12000 Metro Kit