Hear About it Later Intro and Verse - DSD, MA 12000

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Krinkle

Re: Hear About it Later Intro and Verse - DSD, MA 12000

Post by Krinkle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:53 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:Got a pitchfactor rental for the week.$14. Your right about that Krinkle. I have Fair Warning coming out of my cab. Your ear really gets use to it and when you shut it off your tone really diminishes. Time to dig through some old pedals to cash in on one of these units. Going for $540 here. Yikes! :dlr:
I know that CL can be dicey but sometimes if you do your homework you can really score. I try to get phone numbers and actually talk to people, I find you can tell most of the time if a seller is for real or not. If I'm not 100% sure or have any doubt at all, I don't pull the trigger. I ask a ton of questions and bug for pictures, all the while telling them that I am ready to buy immediately as long as everything is fine. I know that I don't need to explain CL buyer etiquette to you, it's just a prelude to the link below, $350, tough to beat as long as there are no issues and pedal is not mangled.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/2181906204.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got mine used from ILMM for $400 about a year ago, in perfect shape, a pretty good deal from a fellow forumite. Haven't seen him around in a while, that's a shame, he's always good for some upbeat banter.

Ed Hunter
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Ed Hunter » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:36 pm

on that oakland HAIL clip his pu sounds very single coilish? :what:

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Ed Hunter wrote:on that oakland HAIL clip his pu sounds very single coilish? :what:
Many say one of the magnets went bad and that is why he started having a single coilish sound...the Harmonizer became a BIG part of the sound on record and live and I think that made his sound thinner,particularly live. You hear the Harmonizer on that live version of "Hear About It Later" from Oakland. To me the Harmonizer sounds great in a controlled studio environment, but maybe not so hot live...just my opinion.
Of course many think the thinnest tones he got were on Diver Down and 1984 on the tracks where he used the Frankenstein like "Panama". To me the thinnest sounds were on the Diver Down tour, particularly the US Festival show in January of 1983...

Ed Hunter

Post by Ed Hunter » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:25 pm

garbeaj wrote:
Ed Hunter wrote:on that oakland HAIL clip his pu sounds very single coilish? :what:
Many say one of the magnets went bad and that is why he started having a single coilish sound...the Harmonizer became a BIG part of the sound on record and live and I think that made his sound thinner,particularly live. You hear the Harmonizer on that live version of "Hear About It Later" from Oakland. To me the Harmonizer sounds great in a controlled studio environment, but maybe not so hot live...just my opinion.
Of course many think the thinnest tones he got were on Diver Down and 1984 on the tracks where he used the Frankenstein like "Panama". To me the thinnest sounds were on the Diver Down tour, particularly the US Festival show in January of 1983...
does the EVH frankenstein pu that he sells sound like that?

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:52 am

Ed Hunter wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
does the EVH frankenstein pu that he sells sound like that?
Not to my ears...I spent about an hour playing the Fender replica at my guitar tech's store when it first came out. The guitar wasn't set up properly right out of the box intonation-wise, but as far as the pickup goes it sounded like any other pickup. I have to say that I am no esoteric pickup connoiseur so any number of people on this and other forums will tell you all about the differences...the pickup sounded like my SD '59 from the 80s to me-but what do I know...

nitro

Post by nitro » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:09 am

The EVH Replica Frankenstrat pickup is a copy of the Seymour Duncan custom custom,same alnico II magnet and DC resistance of 14k.The EVH replica pickup is just a money maker for Ed,Seymour Duncan makes the pickup but they cant say that due to its marketed for Fender and EVH,thats a fact.

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:59 pm

nitro wrote:The EVH Replica Frankenstrat pickup is a copy of the Seymour Duncan custom custom,same alnico II magnet and DC resistance of 14k.
I own both pick-ups and they are not the same. For starters, the "slugs" are smaller on the Frankenstein and it has a "degaussed" A2 magnet.

nitro

Post by nitro » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Jimi22812,so how drastic is the tone change between both to you,ive compared both and to me I couldnt here the difference,same alnico II magnet same dc resistance of 14k,the rest is all gimic and marketing,the reason they through in the gimics(smaller slugs-degaussed magnet) is to make people believe that its a different pickup,sales BS.

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:30 pm

nitro wrote:Jimi22812,so how drastic is the tone change between both to you,ive compared both and to me I couldnt here the difference,same alnico II magnet same dc resistance of 14k,the rest is all gimic and marketing,the reason they through in the gimics(smaller slugs-degaussed magnet) is to make people believe that its a different pickup,sales BS.
So, in other words, I'm not capable of discerning any difference between the two? :lol: I know you think you have it all figured out, but just so you know: I've installed both pick-ups (Frankenstein left, CC sh-11 right)...

...in the same Northern Ash, Swamp Ash, Alder and Poplar bodies (I have yet to try Basswood, but really, what''s the point) and in every case, they sounded different from each other. Drastically different? No, but the Frankenstein always sounded warmer, smoother and just had that certain something that distinguished it from my 1984 Custom Custom. I love both pick-ups, but to say they are the same is not accurate. Similar? Yes, but same? No.
Last edited by jimi22812 on Mon May 30, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

nitro

Post by nitro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:34 am

Jimi22812,im not saying your not capable,your assuming and argumentative, and then you come back with a remark,"I know you think you have it all figured out",OK so what is your point............ :scratch: If you and others want to spend more money for basicly the same pickup thats fine with me,buy and play what you want,if you feel that the EVH Replica is warmer sounding then the custom custom,then wouldnt you go with the custom custom, because Eds early sound(van halen 1 sound) is not warm,its bright and edgy.Dont forget its all about marketing when it comes to Ed,I noticed you purchased the autograph EVH Replica $400 to $500....... :shock:

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:34 pm

nitro wrote: Jimi22812,im not saying your not capable,your assuming and argumentative, and then you come back with a remark,"I know you think you have it all figured out",OK so what is your point............ :scratch:
Like I said, I installed and compared both pick-ups in the same bodies and, to my ears, there was always a difference between the two. That's good enough for me to conclude that they are not the same pick-ups.
nitro wrote: If you and others want to spend more money for basicly the same pickup thats fine with me,buy and play what you want,
Thanks, I didn't realize we needed your blessing. :roll:
nitro wrote:if you feel that the EVH Replica is warmer sounding then the custom custom,then wouldnt you go with the custom custom, because Eds early sound(van halen 1 sound) is not warm,its bright and edgy.
Meh, that's debatable and a matter of samantics and personal preference...but you should know that the EVH Frankenstein is not based on the pick-up that Ed had in the Franky back in the VH I days, it's based on the humbucker that's in there today. Big difference.
nitro wrote: Dont forget its all about marketing when it comes to Ed,
Yeah, and don't forget "it's all about marketing" when it comes to Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Slash, Yngwie, Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter, Shaq etc. so, please... Ed isn't doing anything that those celebrtities and thousands of others aren't doing. It's simple: if you don't like it don't buy it.
nitro wrote: I noticed you purchased the autograph EVH Replica $400 to $500....... :shock:
Easy there, big guy, how could you possibly know the circumstances under which I got that particular pick up? :lol:

nitro

Post by nitro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:54 pm

"I didnt realize we needed you blessing" again your very argumentative,I basicly said to buy what you want and as for the EVH pickup you said, "its based on the pickup thats in there today",well its based on a overwound PAF thats it,Ed used many pickups........ :roll:

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:41 pm

nitro wrote:Ed used many pickups........ :roll:
Yeah, and?...

nitro

Post by nitro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 pm

"yeah and"yeah and what,that to most people the EVH Replica pickup is a copy of the Duncan custom custom(same specs),and you fall into the group that believes the BS about degaussed magnet and smaller slugs,as for Eds EVH replica pickup is the pickup he's using today ,so,the pickup that Ed had in the original franky was a paf pickup out of a 1961 gibson es335 guitar which he took to seymour duncan to have wound to Eds liking,more likey wound hotter,hhmm overwound PAF,heres another tip,Ed took dimarzio super distortion pickup took the ceramic magnet out and replaced it with a PAF magnet,hhmmm overwound PAF sound... :shock:As for your circumstances on how you obtained your EVH replica autographed pickup,I know how you obtained it you bought it,now you feel you got rip off and you dont want to say you purchased it,you fell weird now huh....

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:15 pm

nitro wrote: "yeah and"yeah and what,that to most people the EVH Replica pickup is a copy of the Duncan custom custom(same specs),and you fall into the group that believes the BS about degaussed magnet and smaller slugs,as for Eds EVH replica pickup is the pickup he's using today ,so,the pickup that Ed had in the original franky was a paf pickup out of a 1961 gibson es335 guitar which he took to seymour duncan to have wound to Eds liking,more likey wound hotter,hhmm overwound PAF,heres another tip,Ed took dimarzio super distortion pickup took the ceramic magnet out and replaced it with a PAF magnet,hhmmm overwound PAF sound... :shock:
I told you you had it all figured out... even way back when:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=22408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In any event, all of it is old news.
nitro wrote:As for your circumstances on how you obtained your EVH replica autographed pickup,I know how you obtained it you bought it,now you feel you got rip off and you dont want to say you purchased it,you fell weird now huh....
:lol: Yeah... okay... :stars:
And try to use the quote button, it will same you some time... spell check wouldn't hurt either. :wink: