Hear About it Later Intro and Verse - DSD, MA 12000

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

nitro

Re: Hear About it Later Intro and Verse - DSD, MA 12000

Post by nitro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:19 am

Jimi22812,you came to this site because you have some interest in Eds sound,you came here to learn if its old news or what ever,(news that you probably didnt know until you came here) not to be argumentative and childish thats the way you come across so im going to come across to you that way,then in your last comment you tell me to use spell check this is what you said,"and try to use the quote button it will SAME you some time" "Same me some time"you mean SAVE me some time,and I need to use spell check.. :scratch:.Anyway believe what you want and use what you want it doesnt matter to me,so enjoy your day, need to move on to something more interesting.. :roll:

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 am

maaaaan...

do you hear how HARD that tone is? there is some squish up top but everything from like 1K on down is hard as nails! KNOCK!

like if i thought I was dialing in a convincing VH tone and had that much KNOCK and unbending stiffness - FENDER-ISH in that way - if i had that, i'd be thinking, ah... i can't get the right tone with this amp! haha!

it's hard! hard hard hard! ed's tone does not SQUISH like we think it does when it's layered into the mix.

seeeee.... those live tones we hear from 81 Oakland and 82 Largo aren't so much of an anomoly when you put them next to this tone right here from the friggin' STUDIO!

that's where ed was headed - b/c his chops could support it so why sound like all the immitators chasing behind him!?
Last edited by rgalpin on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:22 am

here is a great example that did not use one magical amp. this is a different amp that when we do hear the squish.

sounds like a 2203 to me. with stock high filtering and maybe even , dare i say it, 6550's :shock:

my 2cents.
Mark

StuntDouble

Post by StuntDouble » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:20 am

Fair Warning sounds like it has a 50 watter, and a few different 100 watters. I hear people say all of the time that they love his tone on that album the most, but to me, his tone changes pretty drastically from song to song...more so than any other VH album up to that point.

jimi22812

Post by jimi22812 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:28 am

nitro wrote:Jimi22812,you came to this site because you have some interest in Eds sound,you came here to learn if its old news or what ever,(news that you probably didnt know until you came here) not to be argumentative and childish thats the way you come across so im going to come across to you that way,then in your last comment you tell me to use spell check this is what you said,"and try to use the quote button it will SAME you some time" "Same me some time"you mean SAVE me some time,and I need to use spell check.. :scratch:.Anyway believe what you want and use what you want it doesnt matter to me,so enjoy your day, need to move on to something more interesting.. :roll:
:lol:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 90#p226590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:29 am

That's some unforgiving tone there. You can hear even Ed with his amazing chops is struggling on some of the tapping to get every note to come out evenly.
I didn't realize how much punch-ins there were on that album, compared with the first album, which sounds almost like a single take. There are a lot of different tones also. You can't nail down one single tone, you can hear some tracks have effects, some dry, some sound more distant and some more in-your-face.
I agree with Ben about there being different amps. I don't think there's any "one" definitive amp. I mean, there was probably one amp for the first album, but after that? All bets are off.
rgalpin wrote:
maaaaan...

do you hear how HARD that tone is? there is some squish up top but everything from like 1K on down is hard as nails! KNOCK!

like if i thought I was dialing in a convincing VH tone and had that much KNOCK and unbending stiffness - FENDER-ISH in that way - if i had that, i'd be thinking, ah... i can't get the right tone with this amp! haha!

it's hard! hard hard hard! ed's tone does not SQUISH like we think it does when it's layered into the mix.

seeeee.... those live tones we hear from 81 Oakland and 82 Largo aren't so much of an anomoly when you put them next to this tone right here from the friggin' STUDIO!

that's where ed was headed - b/c his chops could support it so why sound like all the immitators chasing behind him!?

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:44 am

StuntDouble wrote:his tone changes pretty drastically from song to song...more so than any other VH album up to that point.
Another reason FW is my favorite. To be honest, I didn't appreciate how many different sounds there were on FW until these isolated tracks came out.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:51 pm

with regards to timing on these ISO tracks - i think there digital artifacts left from the process that brought this clip to the version we are hearing in the youtube clip - and part of that is the resultant weird timing issues with the playing, entire notes dropped out etc... i know ed is not a perfectionist with what ends up on record - that's easy to tell - he chooses feel over perfection - but some of the stuff you hear i these iso tracks is just artifacts of weirdness - not ed's playing. immho. :)

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:30 pm

The other thing to remember with Fair Warning and all the albums is that there are different guitars being used, most especially with Fair Warning with it's many punch-ins and layered guitars. People often scratch their heads and wonder why they can't achieve the tones on "Hear About It Later" with a Frankenstein-clone guitar. Because Ed used a standard strat and the Frankenstein. Doesn't matter what kind of amp with what kind of crossover or capacitor or attenuator or lack thereof...

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:33 pm

rgalpin wrote:with regards to timing on these ISO tracks - i think there digital artifacts left from the process that brought this clip to the version we are hearing in the youtube clip - and part of that is the resultant weird timing issues with the playing, entire notes dropped out etc... i know ed is not a perfectionist with what ends up on record - that's easy to tell - he chooses feel over perfection - but some of the stuff you hear i these iso tracks is just artifacts of weirdness - not ed's playing. immho. :)
I think the timing is a result of Ed's playing and not anything to do with the digital artifacts...but that is just my opinion:)

nitro

Post by nitro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Rockstah we have talked about this,6550s have that tight-edge percussive sound,ive been using 6550 for sometime know and they put your tone in the ballpark alot closer then 6ca7s.I remember talking to Doug Roccaforte sometime ago,(doug is friends with Matt bruck Eds tech friend)he has done some work for Ed and he explained to me that when he was at 5150 studios there were cases of 6550 tubes there.I like 6550 tubes for Eds early sound.

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:58 pm

garbeaj wrote:I think the timing is a result of Ed's playing and not anything to do with the digital artifacts...but that is just my opinion:)
I'm trying to find the article talking about the process of creating these tracks for GH but coming up empty, but they do squeeze some sections to fit the files together for the game. There are imperfections in the isolated tracks as a result of syncing them for the game.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

max1230

Post by max1230 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 am

I definitely hear dropouts in those tracks.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 am

I'm sure there are some things that are askew because of the process, but I still believe that Ed's timing is what most are hearing as being off...When you see and hear him play live, especially when he makes a mistake, you can hear him "cramming" notes in the same way that Page did (and still does)...sometimes he just makes the notes fit. Definitely the opposite of a guy like Malmsteen or Satriani who are players that got where they are by becoming best friends with a metronome :P

spcv

Post by spcv » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:32 am

nitro wrote:[...],(news that you probably didnt know until you came here) [...]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:palm: