EVH Chassis Layout

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by mightymike » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:15 pm

Ok Try this. These are 3 variations on the 67/68 transitional 12000 series Plexi
or "EVH plexi"

I Fixed the 1.5k resisters, and made 3 small animations.

(Just double left click the links to play the animations in a new window.)

One that shows more stock values with Shared V1, one is Ralle Spec with 4 100uf Caps, and one inline with C errem's description

http://www.markabrahamian.com/mightymik ... mation.gif

Thanks guest. I didn't want to mess anyone up.

Mike

Update:

other than that there are 2 more mistakes

1) Missing Green wire on V3 PIn2 goes to the 1 meg on the board to the left of the 470 ohm resister on the board. I forgot to draw it in.

2)One of the input jacks is wired wrong.
See how I ran the black wire to the wrong terminal on the jack
on the bottom left? The one to the right of it, is how it should look.

Other than that you should be set.

I don't use those 1ohm shunts on the output tubes anymore either, but it doesn't hurt anything if you do. Without looks more vintage.
Last edited by mightymike on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:51 pm

mightymike...really...thanks for taking the time to create these images. It really does help us out a lot.
~guitar007

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:04 am

No Prob, glad to help.
Drawing actually helps me to memorize.

BTW the Stock67.gif is very close to C errem's Description of EVH's amp.
Just change the 47pf to 100pf, and use a single 32uf on the lone chassis mounted cap, and m ake the Dual 20 a dual 16uf.

C errem also has a 67, that is very close to my drawing. Except for the
20uf is a dual 32uf. I'm pretty sure he has dual 50 on the outsude but I have to check. That's why I was calling the drawing ****** spec before.
Because it was based on his amp, not Eddie's.

bob barcus
Just the numbers in order: 7

EVH Amp Lore

Post by bob barcus » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:28 pm

Hi I hear Ed say that he used 2 Marshalls both were boosted But one had less power.He then said he hooked it up to a "thing" that looked like sticks of dynamite. This was in the 1980 GP Hes playing the B&W guitar on the cover.He also said that he went through alot of OPT.And said of a Old guy from Argentina did the work He didn't want people to know who (Jose) was.

BrownSound1

Post by BrownSound1 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:22 am

I also remember that he was buying up old Marshalls as quick as he could. He said that even though not all of them sounded good, that he could make them sound good.

I'll tell you something I find funny, and that is Musicians Friend's description of a JCM800. They say, "The amp responsible for Eddie's famous 'brown sound' from the 1981 to 1990 era." Well, yeah I heard he used new Marshalls live, but every pic I saw of his live setup had old Super Leads. In fact one pic that springs to mind is from the Van Hagar era (yuck), and it was either the 5150 tour or the OU812 tour. Not that it matters, because Ed lost the "brown sound" completely somewhere between 1984 and 5150. ;)
Last edited by BrownSound1 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:30 am

You guys want to know the difference between 5150 and 1984????

3166 ha ha

What's up with the MF quote? Has EVH ever even mentioned a 2203? Strange.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:13 am

Cmon everything in those desriptions at MF or GC or wahtever is total bullshit. Its written by some fuck who probably doesnt know a marshall from his asshole. Especially the evh thing. My favorite fuck up- Line6 PODxt manual. They have a brown sound marshall model complete with variac. According to the manual they played this real marshall setup for hours until they perfected the model of it using a real variac set to 140v! Nice job jackasses. I guess if there was any truth in any way at all to those words and they really scrutinize and capture sounds the way they say you can expect the variac'd marshall model to sound less like evh then the normal marshall model. I expect people here know way more about this stuff then the people that work in those places.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:11 pm

I shouldn't be surprized, you're right. Sometimes I just forget and then get reminded.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:36 pm

I heard a real doozy a while back from some booteek amp builder about getting the evh tone from his 18W clone. I cant remember exactly who it was or what it said. Fargen maybe? Im not sure. Ill try and find it because youll laugh your ass off.

Crunchboy

Re: EVH Amp Lore

Post by Crunchboy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:42 pm

bob barcus wrote:Hi I hear Ed say that he used 2 Marshalls both were boosted But one had less power.He then said he hooked it up to a "thing" that looked like sticks of dynamite. This was in the 1980 GP Hes playing the B&W guitar on the cover.He also said that he went through alot of OPT.And said of a Old guy from Argentina did the work He didn't want people to know who (Jose) was.
Yeah, there's no doubt in my minf that the OT in his old #1 was not original. With all the cranking and crazy experimenting he did, he surely blew it up at some point, probably many times. Most likey when he was experimenting with increasing the volyage to his amp with a variac. Plus I read where he did say Jose beefed up his transformers. He later took that statement back, but he already let the cat out of the bag. Plus, one of his old friends posted somewhere that the amp did indeed have a replaced OT. I believe it was a stock Dagnall 100 watt OT from that era (late 70's).
The Dagnalls after the early 70's sounded more raw and aggresive.

Bluesgeetar

hmmm

Post by Bluesgeetar » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:24 pm

Another very important and amazing note to this is that this is the best EVH sound to hit the forum and it was done with Reissue Speakers!!!! :shock: Not overpriced vintage jobs. I'll never buy a vintage Celestion now. after hearing this I have seen the light on the new Celestions. Of course I'll keep my three 76 black backs. :wink: But they are the first and last of my Vintage celestion hunt. :D

joelap

Post by joelap » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:56 pm

Billy Batz wrote: My favorite fuck up- Line6 PODxt manual. They have a brown sound marshall model complete with variac. According to the manual they played this real marshall setup for hours until they perfected the model of it using a real variac set to 140v! Nice job jackasses. I guess if there was any truth in any way at all to those words and they really scrutinize and capture sounds the way they say you can expect the variac'd marshall model to sound less like evh then the normal marshall model. I expect people here know way more about this stuff then the people that work in those places.
My Line6 Toneport which I bought the additional model packs for has the "Variaced Plexi" setting as well, and you get more drive from turning up the Variac. I always thought the effect was visa-versa, that more drive occured by lowering the voltage since the plate voltage gets lowered.

I'm sure they really spent hours upon hours getting it perfect...

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:08 am

^ Nah that's pretty accurate - if you lower the plate voltage in the power section but keep the plate voltage in the rest of the amp and the bias current constant, you'll get more distortion as you turn down.

However, if you use a variac like Eddie did, you'll actually be limiting distortion as you turn down because you're reducing plate voltage throughout the amp.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

bobtec

What is that screw on the back left side

Post by bobtec » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:00 pm

I know that Mr Ed did use 2 marshalls to get his sound.But I saw pix of this sloted screw thing on the far left rear side of his #1 baby.What is it for or do

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:31 pm

Ask Mark Cameron.....it was the Jose MV mod.
MARC34