Judas Priest Tone

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Judas Priest Tone

Post by flemingmras » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:25 am

OK how many people are familiar with the Judas album Unleashed In The East? Well while fuckin' around yesterday I was running my Marshall JMP-1-->SL Power Amp-->1973 Marshall cab w/G12H-30s(date coded FF13Z=June 13th, 1973) and I perfectly NAILED their tone from that album...without even trying. Matter of fact it was always there, I just never noticed it until yesterday.

I'll be posting clips tomorrow of this...I couldn't believe it myself. I was playing some of the songs from that album and just happened to notice it.

This is a perfect example of not TRYING to nail a specific tone. If you'd step back, play and really listen to what you're playing, you'd be surprised how close you come to nailing tones naturally. If you're TRYING to nail a tone, you'll never get it exact because you'll never be happy with it.

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

Tatosh

Post by Tatosh » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:53 pm

Well, that is the preamp they sell, isn´t it? I am curious as to how you managed to get that tone with modern gear, since I would have tought they used vintage gear in that album (1979). I wonder if I could get that tone with a standard Superlead and the g12h30s. :D What guitar were you using?

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:59 pm

*looks at name of this section* EDDIE VAN HALEN *clears throat* :D

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:24 pm

I was using a Les Paul w/EMG pickups(Zakk Wylde set).

The trick is...it's not so much in the equipment as it is in the playing. True, the equipment DOES voice what you play, however the root tone comes from your technique.

Also, the cab I have has actual 1973 Celestion G12H-30s(55Hz Version), which are exactly the same as Pre-Rola Celestions since everything pre-'74 was all made the same. The cab is original 1973 as well.

The JMP-1 is voiced VERY VERY similar to the old Marshall SLs in OD1 mode. OD2 mode is just plain overkill...don't see why anyone would want to use that mode, but again it all depends on what you're trying to do...what tone you're trying to achieve. Ace Frehley did a tone test on the JMP-1 when Marshall first released it. They A/B'ed him through a vintage SL(can't remember what year) and the JMP-1, but he couldn't actually SEE which amp they had him going through. And he got it wrong everytime he tried to guess which one they had him running through.

The point of this post was to show that too many people listen with their eyes. Like how Rockstah freaked out because the power tranny George sold him is aparently 1/4-1/2" taller than the one used in EVH's amp.

Listen with your ears and not your eyes. You'd be surprised how you can come up with the same exact tone using completely different pieces of gear. It's all in the hands and technique.

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

Tatosh

Post by Tatosh » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:30 pm

flemingmras wrote:I was using a Les Paul w/EMG pickups(Zakk Wylde set).

The trick is...it's not so much in the equipment as it is in the playing. True, the equipment DOES voice what you play, however the root tone comes from your technique.

Also, the cab I have has actual 1973 Celestion G12H-30s(55Hz Version), which are exactly the same as Pre-Rola Celestions since everything pre-'74 was all made the same. The cab is original 1973 as well.

The JMP-1 is voiced VERY VERY similar to the old Marshall SLs in OD1 mode. OD2 mode is just plain overkill...don't see why anyone would want to use that mode, but again it all depends on what you're trying to do...what tone you're trying to achieve. Ace Frehley did a tone test on the JMP-1 when Marshall first released it. They A/B'ed him through a vintage SL(can't remember what year) and the JMP-1, but he couldn't actually SEE which amp they had him going through. And he got it wrong everytime he tried to guess which one they had him running through.

The point of this post was to show that too many people listen with their eyes. Like how Rockstah freaked out because the power tranny George sold him is aparently 1/4-1/2" taller than the one used in EVH's amp.

Listen with your ears and not your eyes. You'd be surprised how you can come up with the same exact tone using completely different pieces of gear. It's all in the hands and technique.

Jon
Quite true. I can get convincing Maiden sounds from a cheap Peavey practice amp. it´s all in the way you play. A friend of mine (huge EVH fan ) can sound pretty Van Halenish playing my Strat in his fender twin. I have seen him play eruption in this set up and he nails it. I can´t play like that to save my life, but I can get close to Blackmore, Priest, Maiden or Malmsteen in pretty much any set up.

Tatosh

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:35 pm

priest...maiden...zack...blackmore.. peavey...fender twin? y'all are in the wrong thread here! :lol:

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:39 pm

The point of this post was to show that too many people listen with their eyes. Like how Rockstah freaked out because the power tranny George sold him is aparently 1/4-1/2" taller than the one used in EVH's amp
didnt freak - fyi i have been researching this project like a madman and i have heard a few things on taller pt's versus shorter like the one in the evh amp - and im trying to build an evh amp- it was a question and still is.. and believe me my ears are the final in all!

would you put chevy wheels on your vw? they look and perform differntly. but it depends on how much you want to give in one way or the other. if it drives good its one thing if it looks good its another iw ant the best of both worlds i want the sound first and look second... but its a very close second

Tatosh

Post by Tatosh » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:55 pm

rockstah wrote:priest...maiden...zack...blackmore.. peavey...fender twin? y'all are in the wrong thread here! :lol:
Well, I did mention EVH in that post, too, didn´t I? :wink:

Tatosh.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:57 pm

Tatosh wrote:
rockstah wrote:priest...maiden...zack...blackmore.. peavey...fender twin? y'all are in the wrong thread here! :lol:
Well, I did mention EVH in that post, too, didn´t I? :wink:

Tatosh.
:lol:

kt77

Re:

Post by kt77 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:40 pm

rockstah wrote:*looks at name of this section* EDDIE VAN HALEN *clears throat* :D
i beg to differ Mark.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mua4s7q ... ua4s7qyu-k

Star*Guitar

Re: Judas Priest Tone

Post by Star*Guitar » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks for that link!! No really thank you!! Mark would have really enjoyed it!! (RIP) It smokes!! Love "Baby Metal"!!
Star*Guitar

mr.twistyneck

Re: Judas Priest Tone

Post by mr.twistyneck » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:44 am

I'm still partial to "Chocolate" but "Karate" is a good tune. :-)