Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP

Post by rgorke » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:57 pm

I don't have much of any experience with the Wolfgang family. Where does this model fall in terms of quality as compared to say the Musicman or Axis or current Wolfgang? I saw one for under $600.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

motrock

Re: Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP

Post by motrock » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:15 am

The EXP's are the worst ones of them all. Made in China and cheap as hell. I had one and it was terrible!

Star*Guitar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Star*Guitar » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:20 am

The Exp were a better guitar than most think. A basswood body, same pup pecs/material as in the USA model. (But wound overseas). The whammy was basically the same too. A lot of people don't realise how soft of a wood basswood is. So the opinion gets skewed by that. The electronics and everything were okay too. They were a good guitar for shredding. It is what it was meant to be. An affordable shredding guitar. I mean it's not a Les Paul...but even some of the Pauls I've played have quality problems. Quality issues with these were usually very minor...a sharp edge on the fretwire etc. Not a bad guitar in my opinion. The tops were veneer, not a cap for the flametop models.
Star*Guitar

Cabbagebreeze

Post by Cabbagebreeze » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:17 am

In the past I have owned 4 of them and never bonded with any of them. I even liked the OLP Axis better!

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:55 am

I had one and drove over it my old green Dodge Neon. Best sound it ever made. "Crack-crack- ka- brang!"
12000 Metro Kit

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Those EXP wolfs are not even close to MIJ EVH wolfs that go for $1500.
The ones that i came across has a crappy floyd,laquered neck,sharp fret ends and just felt cheap? :palm:
You can track down used a USA peavey wolf with a standard gold,white or black finish for $500-$600 in real good shape and these are much better than any EXP i ever came across! :wink:
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks guys. After I posted, I was thinking, as someone mentioned, that these new EVH wolfs are only $1100 or so.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Note also the maple quilt top is actually so thin there is virtually no tonal effect either-its not like 1/4" top pn the ebmm, usa standards, or a l.p. for that matter.
I would consider it a better choice than alot of guitars in its price range. Has no scarf joint at the headstock either, the trem is the same as the usa models. And they are good of a floyd as any. Its set up to dive only which is a nother plus.
I would pick one up cheap if i could. Just replace the pickups.
It all goes back to my 1993 studio les paul vs a new les paul standard. Same stuff just cosmetic differences what it boils down to. And as far as the top thin veneer of maple? The usa ones that are black or white have no maple at all for a top.

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:40 pm

dirtycooter wrote:Note also the maple quilt top is actually so thin there is virtually no tonal effect either-its not like 1/4" top pn the ebmm, usa standards, or a l.p. for that matter.
I would consider it a better choice than alot of guitars in its price range. Has no scarf joint at the headstock either, the trem is the same as the usa models. And they are good of a floyd as any. Its set up to dive only which is a nother plus.
I would pick one up cheap if i could. Just replace the pickups.
It all goes back to my 1993 studio les paul vs a new les paul standard. Same stuff just cosmetic differences what it boils down to. And as far as the top thin veneer of maple? The usa ones that are black or white have no maple at all for a top.
I always liked the Les Paul Studio, but I never liked the fat '59 neck profile, and they don't offer the '60s profile on the Studio model. The lack of binding never bothered me...

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:52 pm

True there on the necks. But it don't cost more to really give the different neck profile either. Gibson would like you to believe it does though Any of the wolf models don't have this issue as all the necks are identical. I have played a exp wolf and they are great bang for the buck. Really no noticeable difference in feel at all except they do have a satin poly finish on the neck. Thats the only thing i would say i would notice blindfolded. Cheaper tuning machines too but hell its a double locker-pretty null issue.

Santi

Post by Santi » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:21 am

I think you should play one and judge yourself. I got one a few years back. Second hand, I had to fix a few things cos the owner had no clue about Floyd rose bridges but the guitar sounds really good now. Of course, it's not like playing the main wolfgang.... but it does a great job.
Last week I had the chance to play the new EVH wolfgang: the main one and the special one;
Same story for me, the main one is a great guitar, the special does a good job.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 am

The main problem I have with any of the Wolfgang models is the hit you take when you drive it off the lot. A $3000 Wolf, you'd do well to get little more than half back on a resale the next day. I don't know why that is, but that's how it is.
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:16 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:The main problem I have with any of the Wolfgang models is the hit you take when you drive it off the lot. A $3000 Wolf, you'd do well to get little more than half back on a resale the next day. I don't know why that is, but that's how it is.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The only thing I buy new is solder.

donnyboiler

Post by donnyboiler » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:01 pm

They are actually made in Korea and most don't have much laquer on the necks, it's a very thin laquer that looks almost matt and feels great. I sanded and oiled the necks on mine.

I've had two and I think they give a helluva bang for the buck. You can get them for £300 - £400 here in the UK and they blow away almost any rock guitar in that price range. The pickups are identical to the USA ones.

No the maple top doesn't add anything to the tone but remember a USA Special doen't have a maple top at all.

Buy cheap, sand and oil the neck, upgrade the Floyd. Killer axe.

Don

jasmeen

Post by jasmeen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:43 am

I mean it's not a Les Paul...but even some of the Pauls I've played have quality problems. Quality issues with these were usually very minor...a sharp edge on the fretwire etc. Not a bad guitar in my opinion.