Mighty Mite MFG 8.6k...

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Mighty Mite MFG 8.6k...

Post by jnew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:19 am

DUDE, you are like all over the place. Your mind must be way out there amidst that awesome view while having that coffee. Perhaps it has found some Peyote? I don't see where you have discussed what gear you are running or what you have built, to substantiate your reasoning about ceramic magnets. Then you bring up stuff Allen has referenced in the past and your best is what a stand up guy he was to put people in their place about how pointless pickup discussions are because of how the importance of the amp's being used. All in the "Eddie Van Halen Amp Builders" forum. And I hasten to add that even Allen's statements and video samples fly into your face about ceramic magnets. You need not ponder why we don't get what you're saying. You should instead ponder WHAT you say and why you don't get what others are saying. Including your hero Allen.

Enjoy that coffee. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:52 am

Exactly. So there we have it. Enjoy that view, that cup of coffee and all that pondering. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:17 pm

jnew and 67 Melody Maker...

Guys, I feel like I must repeat that I have NEVER built an amp and never will.

The only thing I've ever done in chasing a reasonable facsimile of the first album tone was to have Mark mod my 2x12 Marshall combo. I've literally done only and exactly what Mark told me to do...I got 6402 cone 90s reissue Greenbacks, I got a Northern Ash strat with standard Fender tremolo and I got a new Dimarzio Super Distortion. Because this is essentially what Mark used in the vast majority of the clips he made, especially towards the end when he was modding for others.

I do know for certain that pickups are only relevant to what amp you are using, so as 67 Melody Maker pointed out, I've always stated that one very true fact. Unless you are playing through the EXACT same amp and preferably the same guitar, pickup recommendations are useless. This has been my experience and I think that this is just a statement of fact.

I've never claimed to be anything but a student and fan of the really great tones and builds I've heard here...I almost always stick to discussing the ACTUAL PLAYING. Learning from wjamflan has been my primary occupation on this site.

I'm really just a student and I only have a few small contributions to make to the overall discussion of Ed's sound and playing in general that came strictly from me and my own research and those contributions are simply finding and notating Eddie's tunings. That's the only thing I can claim that came completely from me and my research. I think I can claim to be an authority on that subject, mostly because no one else has really tried or cared to examine it as I have.

Really, I would be absolutely nowhere if I hadn't learned what I've learned from wjamflan. I have learned and applied so much from him. And Toneslinger has helped me so greatly with improving on keeping my vintage Fender strat tremolo units in tune. msbonta and I discussed the Univox EC-80 A dive at the end of "Eruption" and he NAILED it after a lot of trial and error.

Jnew, you are absolutely right, Eddie DID use Mighty Mite and Dimarzio ceramic magnet pickups...the photographic evidence doesn't lie. Who knows if he used them on the first album? I know Phil has gotten incredible first album tones WITHOUT a ceramic magnet pickup. I know Mark got great first album styled tones by using a brand new Dimarzio Super Distortion, but I think we can all agree that the Mod 5 was not what Eddie had going. Ralle has obviously gotten amazing first album style tones with ceramic pickups. It is a real crap shoot as far as pickups are concerned, just because the critical relationship seems to be amp and pickup, at least as far as I've observed from being on this forum and my own limited experience with different amp circuits, speakers and pickups.

I've learned SO MUCH from being here and I sure hope this forum continues to be a great place to learn...

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:16 pm

garbeaj,
In the same way you see Mark as an authority, 67MelodyMaker seems to see you. The difference is Mark DID stuff. He built and he modded. He's been under the hood and has actual experience with circuits, and where in them that affects tone in different ways. I appreciate your honesty and this is not at all about knocking you. It's about some other sh^t bag who references you as if you are the one with all the experience and authority around here when it comes to amps. ESPECIALLY in an "AMP BUILDERS" forum. Again, no punch on you. By you own admission, there is no building or modding experience. And that's cool. But in all fairness, I gotta say it, you claim to never have been more than a fan or a student. I can argue that MANY have seen you come across as waaayyy more like a person of vast knowledge and experience than a fan or a student. But again, I'm not starting in on you. 8)

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:47 pm

So teach me something. Say something intelligent. :what:

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:38 pm

67 Melody Maker wrote:You're a great guy, jnew.
Nice edit job. 8)

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:50 pm

My pleasure. 8)

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:11 pm

jnew wrote:garbeaj,
In the same way you see Mark as an authority, 67MelodyMaker seems to see you. The difference is Mark DID stuff. He built and he modded. He's been under the hood and has actual experience with circuits, and where in them that affects tone in different ways. I appreciate your honesty and this is not at all about knocking you. It's about some other sh^t bag who references you as if you are the one with all the experience and authority around here when it comes to amps. ESPECIALLY in an "AMP BUILDERS" forum. Again, no punch on you. By you own admission, there is no building or modding experience. And that's cool. But in all fairness, I gotta say it, you claim to never have been more than a fan or a student. I can argue that MANY have seen you come across as waaayyy more like a person of vast knowledge and experience than a fan or a student. But again, I'm not starting in on you. 8)
I gotcha...there are a lot of people who fit some reason think I'm a know it all and/or an asshole.

I would say that I saw/see Mark as an authority on what Mark did. I think he knew that Eddie didn't have a Mod 5 amp, but he learned from everyone on this board and he put his own spin on the circuit and his own preferred parts and his own preferred speakers and his own preferred pickup to go with it in his own preferred style of guitar.

So I wanted something that could get me a reasonable approximation of an aggregate of first album-esque tones at bedroom and small club volume levels...Mark seemed to have that covered and his clips spoke for themselves. As someone who has always concentrated on playing, I chose to follow Mark's advice for this type of tone, which is great for a non-builder like me. In the same way that I would love a Bray 4550 or a Friedman VH tone approximation geared amp. I'm barely competent as a player and I barely have enough time to play much less build amps. I've got a two year old daughter and I just wish I could get an hour of playing time in a week since she's been born!

I think 67 Melody Maker was just agreeing with the true statement I made about pickup choice being mostly dependent on amp and speaker combinations and to a lesser degree on the guitar and it's construction/style. I think you agree with that.

I would hope we could all get along...I've got lots of respect for you and 67 Melody Maker and so many of the great contributors to this fantastic site!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:02 pm

I hate that we are wasting space in ralle's thread on this stuff.

Let's move on!

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:40 pm

67 Melody Maker wrote:
garbeaj wrote:I think 67 Melody Maker was just agreeing with the true statement I made about pickup choice being mostly dependent on amp and speaker combinations and to a lesser degree on the guitar and it's construction/style. I think you agree with that.

I would hope we could all get along...I've got lots of respect for you and 67 Melody Maker and so many of the great contributors to this fantastic site!
Exactly. I got frustrated when jnew kept claiming not to understand any of this, when it's obvious to anyone with an IQ above 98.6

Allen, you can be a bit pedantic at times, but I get people like you.

You want to put out good info, without distortion. Because that's what you expect in return.

Personally, the problem with Mark A's method was that it's all pre-amp gain - the power tubes are not involved beyond the bare minimum. My take (and it's just like Internet opinions) is a 2203 run wide open into a load box/line out, then into a solid state power amp. That's what I use at home. The power tubes are running wide open. And I can get bedroom volume that way.

That's where Ed's magic tone comes from, in my humble opinion.

And yes, I learned that here. :champ:

Well first off, an Intelligence Quotient of 98.6 falls right in at average. Do you have a problem with people of average intelligence? And what made you come up with such a specific 98.6? Are you confusing IQ with body temperature?

Secondly, what I don't understand is why you reference a guy who, by his own admission, doesn't experiment or build his own circuits, and who blatantly goes against your claims about ceramic magnets. In both writing and a video example. He's being honest. And in doing so, makes you look like a real sh^t bag. In fact, now that you've divulged what you're running, he even goes so far as to prove you waaayyy the f*ck wrong because he's running a circuit similar to yours. Pickup discussions are not pointless regardless of what amp you are running and it's a forgone conclusion that the amp is important in the equation. But as a reminder, this is the "Eddie Van Halen Amp Builders" section. That means the "Mighty Mite MFG 8.6k" topic is quite valid given that Ed used Mighty Mite PU's. It's fine if you have a different opinion but you need not flap your lips and belittle the guys who do this art.

And while we're at it, how about you post a clip and demonstrate for us what works for you. And I say this in an open minded way. I do want to take this in a positive direction. 8)

jape88
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by jape88 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:48 am

jnew wrote:
And while we're at it, how about you post a clip and demonstrate for us what works for you. And I say this in an open minded way. I do want to take this in a positive direction. 8)
I think he did sometime back... then went and set up a site to bash metroamp? could be wrong, but I think it's all the same guy?
http://guitaramped.com/forum/other-forums-f54.html

It's shame the evh sections have lost that magic of getting the tone and ways to do it and have ended up like "who can play like Ed the best" I remember the old days when it was frowned upon to play a long with backing tracks :lol: I just hope all the stuff of substance from the past never gets lost if it closes.

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:56 am

67 Melody Maker is "Che Guitarra" on guitaramped.com. He recently changed his profile picture at guitaramped when people started putting things together about his identity. . That website is bizarre. They seem to know the first and last names of people at metro. A lot of their energy over there is to bash Metro and it's members. Trolls of the highest order. Sad really.... :palm:

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:10 am

Just come clean man. Your location was also Pantera, TX at guitaramped until you changed that too.

Waiting for your clip brah :scratch: I'm guessing you won't post one haha!

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:43 am

:lol: Shit bag 67 Melody Maker appears to have been caught up in his own stupidity. :lol:

It's a shame that he has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to contribute to such an awesome place of VH amp building and knowledge. But it is pretty funny. :lol: Or should I say this place used to be about building and knowledge. I have a feeling we may see something good again here. Let's hope so. It would be refreshing. 8)

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:10 pm

:thumbsup: