Kemper Profiling Amplifier

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

mr.twistyneck
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Kemper Profiling Amplifier

Post by mr.twistyneck » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:51 am

I bought one earlier this year, the powered toaster style, with the Kemper remote. I've been using it exclusively for gigging because it weighs a fraction of a Super Lead. Also, some of the goofy sounds lend themselves to the 300+ songs we have to know (I've got a live karaoke band www.karaoke.band).

I haven't profiled anything. Haven't had time. I work full time at my day job, and my youngest daughter has softball 4 days a week. I gig out 1-2 times a week, and have kickball once a week. I have barely scratched the surface - just using the profiles that were on it that the previous owner installed.

90% of the time, i run it like i'm plugged into a tube head, ergo: Dirty sound selected, with volume up and bridge HB. if i want a cleaner sound, i'll roll off the volume and switch to the neck pickup. UNLESS i remember to click the button to switch to a clean sound. First "channel switching" amp I've had in 25+ years, so that's something i still have to get used to.

Soundwise - and this could be the profiles - i can tell that a dirty tube amp profile is digital by doing screechy pinch harmonics. If it normalizes to one overtone, it's digital. if it doesn't, you're playing through a tube amp. On the other hand, when the gain goes over the top - like for the death/thrash/shred tones - the Kemper is awesome for that type of stuff (none of which I have a chance to use LOL). but i'm not upset at all, this is a really good facsimile, and perhaps if i have time to profile my rig, maybe it will sound more like what i think it should sound like.

Also - i went from a Super Lead to a Kemper. There are more knobs and buttons on a Kemper. My head spins. Then there's a remote with more buttons. wow. #learningcurve

I took my 25w greenback out of my 1x12 and stuck in a 100w Celestion, and that actually sounds a little better. I think the powered Kemper has an obscene power rating, so i needed minimum 100w speaker.

gig wise, i have a bag for the amp and pedal, a 1x12, my guitar, and a backpack (holds my mic stand cup holder, capo, ipad holder, ipad, etc. it's a lightweight setup.

Sound Engineers love it - there's a direct out, so it's one less mic stand to set up.

Great amp. Love it. p.s. I'm not selling my Marshalls. Nope. no way. :-)