spazowsky
Just the numbers in order: 7

Kemper Profiling Amplifier

Post by spazowsky » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:39 am

http://kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang ... fined.html
Sounds too good to be true on paper.

Profiling a Soldano Amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZfk5sz82A

Makes you wonder how this would play when given the 0:36 sample of "Mean Street".

vanhalen5150

Re: Kemper Profiling Amplifier

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:59 am

They need to make it look uglier.....
12000 Metro Kit

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:50 am

I was waiting for someone to bring this up! LOL I have been eyeing it for a while now. I am thinking about buying one. Still need to do more research. This thing would be great for someone like me that can't crank all the time. I want to profile my cranked Plexi and Friedman Brown Eye. I have a friend that has super expensive Ribbon Mic's and high quality mic pre's that is going to help me out with the Profiling.

You guys that can't crank all the time need to look in to this!

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:They need to make it look uglier.....
Seriously, who designed that, Doc Emmet?
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:03 am

Rich_D wrote:
vanhalen5150 wrote:They need to make it look uglier.....
Seriously, who designed that, Doc Emmet?
Looks like a heart rate monitor.
12000 Metro Kit

donbarzini

Post by donbarzini » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:24 am

I have one on order, I'll let you men know how it works out. I have to say, the clips I have heard of this ugly box that looks like it was stuck in some old guy's ass for a couple years really sound more realer than any other modeler I have heard.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:31 am

donbarzini wrote:I have one on order, I'll let you men know how it works out. I have to say, the clips I have heard of this ugly box that looks like it was stuck in some old guy's ass for a couple years really sound more realer than any other modeler I have heard.
I looked for the price...how much for one of these breathalyzers?
12000 Metro Kit

donbarzini

Post by donbarzini » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:
donbarzini wrote:I have one on order, I'll let you men know how it works out. I have to say, the clips I have heard of this ugly box that looks like it was stuck in some old guy's ass for a couple years really sound more realer than any other modeler I have heard.
I looked for the price...how much for one of these breathalyzers?
it depends on how much skin you show to your Sweetwater or Full Compass salesmale

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Looks like competition for the fractal audio gizmo.....profiling instead of modelling :palm: @$2000 ...where is my under $300 hd300 and guitar rig 4 :thumbsup:

If this thing had 4- 12ax7's and a multitude of power tubes built in with soaks etc.and provided digital ways of hooking it up and combining it all with digital tone modelling etc etc...and then processed the tone with cab/mic software then it would be somewhat ground breaking ..BUT just another modeller .. :shrug:

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Yeah man, let us know. I want to get one. This will be perfect for recording and playing with headphones... with 100% organic guitar tone. It comes stock with a bunch of profiles.

This is nothing like Modeling BTW

donbarzini

Post by donbarzini » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:04 pm

motrock wrote:
Yeah man, let us know. I want to get one. This will be perfect for recording and playing with headphones... with 100% organic guitar tone. It comes stock with a bunch of profiles.

This is nothing like Modeling BTW
in the meantime, you should check out S-Gear if you have a computer and interface, I'm getting some real good feeling spongy plexi tones from that one and I'm not even using my hands!

jof006
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jof006 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 am

donbarzini wrote:I have one on order, I'll let you men know how it works out.
Well? It's been a while.
Did you get one? Did you like it? Do you still have it/like it?

They now have a head version with built in power amp - much better.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the best profiles will cost extra money.
So for someone wanting a good brown 12xxx plexi with all the good stuff (variac, EP3, etc.), what's the best profile(s) and how much would that cost?
Does that kind of profile even exist for purchase or are people keeping them to themselves?

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:19 pm

It could be a good recording amp and fun to play around with. It's hard to imagine anything SS cutting through the mix in a live scenario without a lot of PA to help, or capturing the dynamics that a spectrum analysis won't translate. I hope it's all it's cracked up to be at that price. You could buy/build a nice tube amp for 2k. Forgive my cynicism; I'll try to keep an open mind, but I've spent a lot of money In the past chasing things like this before finally getting my first plexi.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:29 am

+1
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

jof006

Post by jof006 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:18 am

My personal opinion on this is that most guitarists, even if they could not tell the difference in tone and feel between the Kemper and a "real" valve amp in a blind test, would still prefer to own the "real" amp, for whatever reason.
And they'd probably still do that even if they actually preferred the Kemper blind.

One good reason if favour of the valve amp is that if you know enough, you can quite easily change resistors, capacitors, etc. to experiment. You can't quite do the same with a digital sim.

It kind of reminds me of the old Vinyl vs CD debate. Audiophiles wouldn't go anywhere near CDs originally. How many still feel the same? I've no idea.
We are an odd bunch.