Ed's Early Pedalboard and EP3s

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

wjamflan
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Ed's Early Pedalboard and EP3s

Post by wjamflan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:48 am

leadguy wrote:There is a RWTD DLR iso vocal track around on the net and DLR's vocals are very isolated with no or hardly any bleedover from Ed, Mike and Al.

DLR must be in an iso booth doing the vocals.

The VHII photos showing Dave karaoke singing right next to Ed's amp are a staged joke.

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/DG/runnin_wit ... _devil.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LG - I understand what your saying here and it makes sense. However, I have read in the past where Ed said they did all play together on the basic track and Dave did sing at that time, but that they had to re-do the vocals b/c of mic bleed. I'll see if I can find the quote. If true, they could've had the live experience and the iso vocal setup.

jape88

Post by jape88 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:03 am

halen wrote:That is VH recording VHII at sunset sound.Thats the same equipment that Ed used on the road(effects)for the 79 tour.Ed didnt take is main plexi on the road during that tour he did use late 70s superleads for that tour(79).What publicity...... :palm:
I think you're getting the wrong end of things here, these pics have been discussed many times in the past here and again when Zloz's put out both of his books. No one is saying it's not Sunset, no one is saying it's not Ed's gear what everyone (to a degree) is saying is that Zloz got them together for a photo shoot whilst they were there and tried to capture that 'crazy kids rockin in the studio' :palm: thing littered the studio with the cans etc. closing the rigs tighter in shot would add to a better pic, maybe a quick clothing change, dunno but in essence a 'staged publicity shot'. I do firmly believe that the band would NOT be that tightly packed into what in reality is a big room to record, so baffles etc. would have been used to some degree even if the band recorded a one take.

:)

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:04 am

halen wrote:So what's the publicity...
Are we really discussing this?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:32 pm

it proves that the setup from those photos is not necessarily creed. its not really inaccurate, but it's just slapped together for a photo shoot. we don't know enough about what was and wasn't staged to say that it's a perfect representation of his setup. as opposed to a live shot, where Ed is using the gear as the photo is taken, this photo has the band throw around garbage to create a false atmosphere. it's entirely likely that they just picked everything up as it was during recording, but we don't know for sure. that's the point. the photo and Zloz's comments prove that we just don't know for certain.

hozmoney

Post by hozmoney » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:59 pm

FrankenMatt wrote:I agree on the board placement but I really can't think of anything else it might be, particularly with a jack arrangement like that. I don't see the rectangular cutout in the pic, just tape with a circle(which I presumed being a jack) :what:

I was just scrolling through some more pics to see if I could find more pics of the pedalboard in that arrangement but managed to stumble across this...

Anyone else catch Box 2 in this pic before? It's interesting it shows up in a VHII "recording session" shot

Is that a Schaffer Vega Diversity System (the magic box that SoloDallas uses to get those Angus tones) in the hole where the cabinet is turned towards Alex?

~Mark

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:13 pm

[quote="hozmoneyIs that a Schaffer Vega Diversity System (the magic box that SoloDallas uses to get those Angus tones) in the hole where the cabinet is turned towards Alex?

~Mark[/quote]

That's exactly what that is and there was a discussion a while back on Ed's compressors..think it dwindleed away to the compressor in the echoplex thread....but yeah if you read interviews Eddy did have lots to say about them and had favourites....gain and compression ..things some believe only an amp can attain...so it should be interesting to hear the purists take on them...

Of course it's in staged pic so it was just there for show..heheh :lol: ....Eddy did say that he prefers beldon cable in the studio and his wireless on stage....hmm just like the staged pic shows. :shock:

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Wonder when Ed got his Vega.
Obviously sometime before VHII.

Angus got his in 1977, I think.

"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:00 pm

the Vega could certainly be part of the early sound. SoloDallas is the only person I've seen on the net with a solid working unit. perhaps with some coaxing we could get him to try some clips in VH style. worth a look anyway.

motorhead

Post by motorhead » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 am

I have been in Electric Ladyland more than once observing mind you and before pro tools. You would be suprised at the process if never actually seen it go down. The VH pics are just that pictures.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Check out this thread over in the Marshall section.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Solodallas shows how the SVDS acts as a compressor. This could be a nugget worth exploring.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 pm

rgorke wrote:Check out this thread over in the Marshall section.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Solodallas shows how the SVDS acts as a compressor. This could be a nugget worth exploring.
I read that a while back. Interesting. I see another ''this is it" pedal coming. Angus and Ed.
12000 Metro Kit

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:56 am

Yep incoming shortly, a few months still to go for the replica.
We got already a prototype down, reverse engineering of one of the three originals systems I now have.

I became I friend of Mr. Schaffer's - though I still call him "Mr. Schaffer Sir" ( :D ) and a lot has happened.
My replica will be a 1:1 - audio wise - no compromise. However, no wireless will be there. Too much un-needed technology for us audiophile guys with a guitar (or more). We just (I thought) need the AUDIO circuit of it. A complete extract of the audio systems of the SVDS.

This is what we did. You have to understand that this system is PACKED with components inside. 1976-1977 technology, and a breakthrough at that for the time!

There is a compressor inside the transmitter (X10) and a clean boost in the receiver (EX63). Both DO act strongly on the resulting signal.

I SUCK at EVH stuff. However, if someone close to me (I'm in Rome) wants to come over here and USE one of my units, he is welcome.

Another original unit will be soon in Austria for production reasons. Feel free to contact me at solodallas@gmail.com if you want to try one original, record yourself with it and distribute results in the community.

I am also open to suggestions and requests from you guys. Such as: "Fil, set the amp so and so, and record a short clip/video with the SVDS". Can do. But don't ask me to play Eruption, don't think I'm suited for it? :lol:

At your service

Fil :)

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:56 am

But don't ask me to play Eruption, don't think I'm suited for it?

Join the queue :lol:
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:53 am

leadguy wrote:
But don't ask me to play Eruption, don't think I'm suited for it?

Join the queue :lol:
Hahahah... willingly!!! :peace: :D

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:39 am

SoloDallas wrote:Yep incoming shortly, a few months still to go for the replica.
We got already a prototype down, reverse engineering of one of the three originals systems I now have.

I became I friend of Mr. Schaffer's - though I still call him "Mr. Schaffer Sir" ( :D ) and a lot has happened.
My replica will be a 1:1 - audio wise - no compromise. However, no wireless will be there. Too much un-needed technology for us audiophile guys with a guitar (or more). We just (I thought) need the AUDIO circuit of it. A complete extract of the audio systems of the SVDS.

This is what we did. You have to understand that this system is PACKED with components inside. 1976-1977 technology, and a breakthrough at that for the time!

There is a compressor inside the transmitter (X10) and a clean boost in the receiver (EX63). Both DO act strongly on the resulting signal.

I SUCK at EVH stuff. However, if someone close to me (I'm in Rome) wants to come over here and USE one of my units, he is welcome.

Another original unit will be soon in Austria for production reasons. Feel free to contact me at solodallas@gmail.com if you want to try one original, record yourself with it and distribute results in the community.

I am also open to suggestions and requests from you guys. Such as: "Fil, set the amp so and so, and record a short clip/video with the SVDS". Can do. But don't ask me to play Eruption, don't think I'm suited for it? :lol:

At your service

Fil :)
I, for one, am excited about this. I have thought about a wireless system so I didn't have to be in the same room as my cabinet. :rock:

We do have a member who is relatively close or at least closer than me. Ralle in Sweden. But still not real close but has some of the best EVH chops.

Please keep us poseted.