How Brown is a Peavey VTM-120?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

jnewlyn
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: How Brown is a Peavey VTM-120?

Post by jnewlyn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:43 am

What do the dip switches do? Zener circuits?
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just Mike
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Just Mike » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:53 am

Dip Switches;
1-Gain 1 (R on V1b)
2-Gain 2 (R&C on V1b)
3-Comp (Diodes on V2b)
4-8 are tone filters affecting TMB circuit.

I'll post more this afternoon.

DaveMcLain

Post by DaveMcLain » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 am

The DIP switch thing was a cool idea where you were supposed to use it to find your sound and then screw the cover back on once you found the setting that you liked best, good or bad.

Bore Em at the Forum

Post by Bore Em at the Forum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 am

Yeah, and as you can see from the ones that are still floating around, every guitar player lost the cover after they took it off! LOL

Guitar players aren't the most organized people.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:01 am

Bore Em at the Forum wrote: Guitar players aren't the most organized people.
Hey man, speak for yourself! :fight: All my stuff is in bins in my man cave. Which bin holds what? Well that a different story. :whistle:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Bore Em at the Forum

Post by Bore Em at the Forum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:38 am

BINS? That's not organized.

SHOEBOXES! THAT's organization.

I don't call my guitar project area a "man cave", though - I call it "Dahmer's Refrigerator" - because it's full of necks and bodies, LOL!

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Bore Em at the Forum wrote:BINS? That's not organized.

SHOEBOXES! THAT's organization.

I don't call my guitar project area a "man cave", though - I call it "Dahmer's Refrigerator" - because it's full of necks and bodies, LOL!
OOOOOOoooooooohhhhhhhhhhh. :lol:

Wow, so I'm even more intrigued by these VTM's. I might try and find a VTM 60 for some fun stuff. :)
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just Mike

Post by Just Mike » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:27 pm

I've been looking online for tips & mods and came across this review;

With all knobs at 10, driving 4 quads with Vin 30s it is as Brutal as a chain saw ripping through your scrotum, on the way up to your jugular. Not for opera lovers. Can't play Buddy Holly tunes on it. You want blood spattering mayhem and your ears bloody with detached eardrums-you got it here. Crank it and watch mom and dad clutch their chests and fall into deadly comas-blood pouring from eyes, ears, nose, mouth and anus. Soon the death mask claims their faces and their teeth crack and shatter.

Is that another way of saying "brown"?

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Personally, I can't say. I avoid using the term "BROWN" as it is too subjective and probably has a different definition for every person who would describe it. The description above only tells me that it's loud as hell but that could mean a real mess too, which in most cases, is true IMO. Doesn't say to me if it's balanced and harmonically pleasing in any way, although it could be. 8)
Cheers to the ears.

lordraptor1

Post by lordraptor1 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Bore Em at the Forum wrote:Yeah, and as you can see from the ones that are still floating around, every guitar player lost the cover after they took it off! LOL

Guitar players aren't the most organized people.

sorry for resurrecting this old post but i had to in order to comment to the above poster.

not all people lost their dip covers, i still have mine on my vtm120 ;) also on a side note other than a recent full cap job mine is still factory ( i dont count tube replacement tubes). the molex plugs are still factory and the amp is still working as it did on day one, and i also have the matching 412-MS cab ( which came from the factory with celestion G12k-85 speakers in it). of course i cannot prove it ( wish i could) but i spoke with a guy at peavey to get some info regarding the speakers in the cab cause i was constantly being told the cab should of had "blue marvels" in it ( which i know the later versions did but not the 1987 versions). anyway the guy i spoke with at peavey said that my cab was unique because it was one of a handful that were being developed for soundgarden ( like i said wish i could prove that LOL).