Dummy Loads

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:00 am

Yea that's what the Mass is supposed to do, but mine didn't live up to expectations. It sounded worse then a Load Dump on my Bassman, AC-30 and JTM45. It uses a speaker motor which is a coil glued down around a magnet core as only part of the load and as you turn down more of the load becomes none reactive (you can see the big gold resistor sitting there next to the coil) so the impedances changes across the frequency range as you turn down changing the tone as you go. I am not sure of this as I didn't test the impedances changes but the sound when turned down was buzzy and coarse and sounded nothing like the sound of the Bassman without the Mass attenuator.

The Richter doesn't sound like that the tone simple stays the same whether you're going through it or not.

Let me repeat this I have no affiliation with Richter they didn't do me any favors. I wish someone had been able to turn me on to Richter before I had bought a half dozen attenuators.

DELANEY

Post by DELANEY » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:33 pm

908ssp wrote:Yea that's what the Mass is supposed to do, but mine didn't live up to expectations. It sounded worse then a Load Dump on my Bassman, AC-30 and JTM45. It uses a speaker motor which is a coil glued down around a magnet core as only part of the load and as you turn down more of the load becomes none reactive (you can see the big gold resistor sitting there next to the coil) so the impedances changes across the frequency range as you turn down changing the tone as you go. I am not sure of this as I didn't test the impedances changes but the sound when turned down was buzzy and coarse and sounded nothing like the sound of the Bassman without the Mass attenuator.

The Richter doesn't sound like that the tone simple stays the same whether you're going through it or not.

Let me repeat this I have no affiliation with Richter they didn't do me any favors. I wish someone had been able to turn me on to Richter before I had bought a half dozen attenuators.

No problem Alex, you like what you like.

About This Richter attenuator....

I looked at the motherload literature, and it seemed like the same kind of marketting BS and so forth. What makes this attenuator unique besides the specialy made components and "endless" research they did?

OK here are more "enlightening" tidbits
Richter Motherload History from their Site wrote:"I pondered and rummaged in my workshop, my head full of valve amps and speakers, calculator and soldering iron set to solve the problem. Numbers, ideas and components seemed to come together so I took the 1st attempt round to Daves' room of guitars and amps. It sounded pretty awful so back to the drawing board. I realised my error and soon had another attempt to test. This one was right, with firm deep bass, warm natural mids and clear open treble. Dave was impressed. It was the best dummy load he had heard. At that time I had never heard a speaker simulator so I could not compare it, but it sounded nice. Further tests with bulbs as variable elements did not match the performance, so we did not pursue that direction.

"Back at the workshop investigation revealed that the 'grunt' was coming from certain power resistors. Calls to manufacturers led to the conclusion that the resistance winding construction used by some makers caused the problem, so I have used only one brand ever since."
$869 bucks? Are you kidding me?...... I could make another JTM45 with mullards and mustards... Doesn't it bother you that after his second attempt at "rummaging" he had the basis for the motherload? The rolloff filter came later.

Maybe I stumbled onto some power resistors that sound good too? I bought them for 75 cents a piece, I hope he did too, because he's gonna make a hell of a profit. I may have to buy my source out of their blue Sprauge 16 Ohm 35watt resistors.

Saw vent holes on the top, its not rocket science, he's using power resistors.... He's just got a good combination in a 1U, and good product marketting.

hmmmm my $25 dollar attenuator....$869 for another uber-attenuator....

No Thanks :wink:
DEL

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:49 pm

Hell thats just marketing bs. Who knows how the thign was designed but I certainly dont buy that fairy tale. Not the way its stated anyway. But hell a load/DI is the last thing I would ever have a use for. Especially for $870 dollars :shock: The first time someone linked to it a few months back I nearly fell out of my seat. You could buy or build a simple load+Line out and buy a top notch speaker sim for less then half that.

DELANEY

Post by DELANEY » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:04 pm

Billy Batz wrote:Hell thats just marketing bs. Who knows how the thign was designed but I certainly dont buy that fairy tale. Not the way its stated anyway. But hell a load/DI is the last thing I would ever have a use for. Especially for $870 dollars :shock: The first time someone linked to it a few months back I nearly fell out of my seat. You could buy or build a simple load+Line out and buy a top notch speaker sim for less then half that.
Here is the abosulte kicker DAN,

really this is soooooo painfull I'm crying. Look at the Motherloads attenuator control knob on this link. (by the attenuator out on the back)

http://www.motherloadusa.com/motherload ... oducts.asp

Now... take a look at my attenuator's knob on the AT-100 :shock:

http://www.starkelectronic.com/12.htm#7row

LOOK FAMILLIAR? :lol:

yeah there's something about the shaft that makes the knob unseparatable. Look at the output... 8 Ohms... geez I wonder why...(snickering)

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA...... hOOOooOOOooOO

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
DEL

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:29 pm

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:48 pm

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:35 pm

Hey Alex that 'output to mother load' is just a -20db line out right? To even consider trying one Id need it to handle a 100W amrshall, be able to act as load, and have a line out.

Any chance of seeing some gut shots?

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:56 pm

So the Richter is only available as an 8ohm load? That kind of blows.

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:14 pm

Billy I am not sure about the line out. I don't use it. Unlike some other attenuators it sounds good straight through which is all I really need. You can very easily increase the power handling of the Richter by running a parallel load you only need a 3db load to cut your amps output in half. A 3db load has a very slight influence on tone many people can't hear a 3db parallel load it is when you get to 9, 12 or 16db that the tone goes south.

The 8 ohm is the amp out. It is safe to run a 16 ohm cab just leave the amp at 8 ohms.

I heard from Sequis (Motherload) a couple days ago they are doing a 2nd generation I have no idea what changes they will make they wanted suggestions. I mentioned variable impedance both in and out.

erigm

Post by erigm » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:26 pm

Has anyone tried Aiken's speaker attenuator? I only ask because whenever these dummy load threads come up his site gets quoted alot.
erigm

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:08 am

I was not aware he sold one other then those he builds into his amps?

erigm

Post by erigm » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:33 pm

I think he took it off his site when he updated, but back when he was making the Invader he had an attenuator called the "gold brick". Just wondered how his stacked up to the rest.
erigm