One amp for Life... What would you choose ?????

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Santi
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: One amp for Life... What would you choose ?????

Post by Santi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:00 am

I'd say a Marshall JVM 410H. I have one among other amps I have. I had a few mods done and I can do anything from Clean to Heavy distorted sounds. But the 4 channels and the 3 modes per channel give you lots of options.
Also, I can get a decent VH sound out of it. There was a clip on youtube of a guy doing lots of Van Halen with the JVM 410HJS. I think the guy posts here as well

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 pm

mikefont wrote:Once I got my Bray 4550 Deluxe, I got the amp of my dreams. So that is the answer for me....this vid is the actual soundclip that David sent me for final approval of the amp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmj2SYcen-Y
Dang!
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:For me it might be a plexi 50W with basketweave cab. Either JTM 50 or JMP, I could live with either.

Hard to believe I wouldn't pick a 100 watter.

george
Why a 50 George?
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

donnyboiler
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by donnyboiler » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Santi wrote:I'd say a Marshall JVM 410H. I have one among other amps I have. I had a few mods done and I can do anything from Clean to Heavy distorted sounds. But the 4 channels and the 3 modes per channel give you lots of options.
Also, I can get a decent VH sound out of it. There was a clip on youtube of a guy doing lots of Van Halen with the JVM 410HJS. I think the guy posts here as well

C'est moi :wink: Great amp...

http://youtu.be/pXmP9VA7uxw

Santi

Post by Santi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:20 am

donnyboiler wrote:
Santi wrote:I'd say a Marshall JVM 410H. I have one among other amps I have. I had a few mods done and I can do anything from Clean to Heavy distorted sounds. But the 4 channels and the 3 modes per channel give you lots of options.

Absolutely stunning work my friend! It sounds awesome! :hairband:

donnyboiler

Post by donnyboiler » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Santi wrote:
donnyboiler wrote:

Absolutely stunning work my friend! It sounds awesome! :hairband:
Thanks bud. Just wish I'd used Greenbacks...

bamajohn

Post by bamajohn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:13 am

donnyboiler wrote:Thanks bud. Just wish I'd used Greenbacks...
What do you think those would have given better than the G12T75's in the Marshall cab? I mean, I understand that EVH used greenbacks and the newer 5150 III cabs are loaded with them, but the 410HJS was "designed" to go with G12T75's and your clip sounds mind-blowing with them. I can't get over how deep that "chug chug chug" in the beginning of Unchained sounds in your clip. I have not heard very many amp+cab combos get that right...it's usually missing the touch of upper mid that gives it a springy / stringy flavor, or it's so muddy and indistinct on the low end that it could just as well be coming out of the miserable PODxt I used to own.

Don't get me wrong--I had myself convinced I *hated* G12T75's after having a 2x12 "1936" cab with them connected to a Lee Jackson XLS-1000 amp. That combo, and the guitar I was playing, had such a nasal honk it sounded like the guitar was channeling Fran Drescher. ICK.

donnyboiler

Post by donnyboiler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:32 pm

wow, thanks man!

No, don't get me wrong, I love the 75s. Massively underrated speaker and great with the HJS. I like the way GBs sweeten the mids though. The HJS has plenty of chunk, it had resonance on 0 here and IIRC bass was a half, so I think GBs will be fine.

I've got another HJS coming on Sat so I'll do a GB demo asap! Excited...

bamajohn

Post by bamajohn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:40 pm

:rock: Wicked!!! Looking forward to plenty of :vh: from you on the HJS again, I've teetered around between almost buying a Landry LS100G3, a 5150 III 50-watt with 2x12, or the JVM 410HJS. There is something about the upper mids on the Marshall, like you said in another thread, that somehow rings more authentic to me than the 5150 III. Judging by your own experience and the number of threads / videos about them, though, the 5150 III is far more popular. That's at least partially due to the price, and the fact it's been on the market longer...

The JVM Satriani model suffers in comparison because there are so many videos of it that sound terrible, whereas yours and a few others rock :listen: . It makes me wonder if it's just hard to dial in well, and you've got it squared where most do not. So many variables--speakers, guitar, pickups, effects, even the cables used have an effect.

I would love to be able to have six or seven amps and ten or twenty guitars to play with, but I need to make a really good decision on my next amp and guitar(s) to get out of the tone hole I'm in... Started with a Crate 60 combo, moved up to a Line6 AX2 2x12 modeling combo, then a PODxt because I hadn't punished myself enough :palm: and then the Lee Jackson I mentioned. All are retired or sold now.

donnyboiler

Post by donnyboiler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:29 pm

I think you'd be happy with any of those three. The HJS isn't difficult to dial, you can point everything straight up and it sounds amazing. I'll do that on my next demo. Same with the 5153, 100w and 50w, they sound amazing straight out of the box. The channel switching is a compromise on the 50w but it's every bit the amp the HJS is. It just comes down to taste in my opinion. The 5153 gives you that rich, snarling saturation so easily on the blue channel whereas the HJS can feel like hard work but it's more dynamic and more touch sensitive. The 5153 does clean and ultra high gain better too but if it's the real Marshall stuff you're after, get a Marshall. The 5153 is incredible, it's my favourite amp right now, but if I'm in a Marshall mood it's not always close enough.

I haven't tried the Landry, demos sound ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm pleased you liked the vid. I think the Pete Lucasz one and the Danny Gill one are excellent if you want an overview of the amp.

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:01 am

pick one amp for life?
this one, http://www.marshallamps.com/artists/j/joe-satriani/
There is NOTHING this amp cant do :champ:

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:57 am

So what is in the JS Marshall????

Hard to even begin to know what the f is inside the amp circuit wise. I imagine there is a lot of green card real estate all over the place.

Smart move separating the trannys to each opposite end of the chassis. It is stated Josephine wanted it more "open" sounding. Well... sounds like he wanted it even more "vintage authentic/non MV" sounding in this regard. Boiler really got my attention with his clips. For a MV amp this is pretty interesting. Its like I wished my 5153 was voiced this way. I am sure its the tubes but the organicness of it is pretty sweet sounding. Gain is very similar yet not as over the top like channel 3 of a 5153.
I really like the layout of its business end for a channel switcher. Makes total complete sense really to do it this way.
You really generally want 1 cean tone, maybe a crunch, but 2 leads? 2 variable identical leads is pretty awesome concept. SO many amps divorce themselves between channels completely-the other channel sounds like the milk mans kid-this one sounds kinda like the 5153-more like shades of incremental gain advancement in this regard.
The footswitch for a channel switcher sounds better and not as dicked up as EVH's complete "wtf?! design you cannot work around".It would be nice to have the channels assigned to one midi controller that controls the fx and everything than having to be stuck with a extra footswitch no matter what-this makes sense. EVH totally sucks balls here. BAD ED! BAD! VERY BAD! :evil:

And as far as authentic VH tone-from what I can tell its spot on for a MV amp class and especially a mass produced deal. The only place the 5153 gets it is in the bottom end tightness/punch. But then that is one of the things that make the 5153 sound too modern really. The 34's in the marshall carry some of the "hollowness" of the mids while still having the mids it needs. IMHO it shits on the Bogner here for brown tones. And probably ahead a cunt hair or two on the 5153 for real brown'ness.
One other point-there is the NMV cranked old school guys that wrangle and wrestle volume in many different ways/or they are really manly men that have huge volume tolerances, and then there is the guys fine with MV amps.
Here the MV guys have the advantage-if not running full wide open those 34's will suffice a lot of the time. While they would need to bump to a beefier 6c for cranked tone that holds together better when stressed out. MV is not really stressing it out here so it kinda negates the need for output tube worry so much in this tribe of beliefs.

But I would love to know what a handwired spec would look like of the VH sounding channels of this marshall applied to a 12series build style. What do they have going on in those first couple of gain stages?
I think marshall was tired of getting robbed of its own heritage for the last 20 years finally and did something about it here. 8)
It really does have a nice layout that is logical and all channels sound good in their own right. It really takes on the character of some generations of incarnations they produced. I am intrigued with a NEW production marshall finally. VM almost had me but failed-this is different.

jnew

Post by jnew » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:59 pm

My answer would be either of the two plexi's that I built. Because they sound good, I built them and I can do anything I want for tone with them. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:17 pm

exactly, just give me a good set of drake or dagnall type tranny's and I can put something together that will rival the best marshall hiwatt or laney ever put out. Even the resistors and caps are not that important. All I need is basic carbon film and some mustard type or orange drops. It's all in the circuit the tubes and how it's all tuned. I see the metroamp as a DIY mod'ing forum not so much a buy this off the shelf product forum. That's the gear page

STEINBERGER

Post by STEINBERGER » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:48 am

And the correct answer to this question is i would be content with (not trying to be too greedy)
well obviously,
bit shy now but ill spit it out,

Ralles amp. :drool:

Now why didnt anybody else think of that ?