One amp for Life... What would you choose ?????

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

white noise
Just the numbers in order: 13492

One amp for Life... What would you choose ?????

Post by white noise » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:48 pm

If you could only choose one amp to have for the rest of your life what would you choose and why?

tsma
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: One amp for Life... What would you choose ?????

Post by tsma » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:13 pm

I know this is a Marshall forum (and I have THREE of George's amps) but my JMJ-30 covers a SHIT-TON of tones, sounding gorgeous the whole time. Every guitar I own gels with it, in everything from clean to full-on crunchiness.

Or, can I duck tape all three Metropoulos heads together and call it ONE amp?

;)

-bryan

scriptphase

Post by scriptphase » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:38 pm

One for life would be tough! Would have to have lots of switches...2 stage/one wire...Good Guest's SMAK mod on V1a/b...Jose master w/ switchable zeners...resonance mod... Something that could cover a lot of ground: stock to higher-gain '80s sounds.

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:55 pm

Very tough choice. I'd opt for a '68 spec 100 or 50. Probably the 50 for volume and only two output tubes to replace.
Can tweak the filtering, signal cap(s), and NFB easily to get to '72 screaming metal panel specs.
Personally, more than enough gain for me, and can take pedals. :rockon:
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

Omn

Post by Omn » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:23 am

Landry LS100G3

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:58 am

One of the following

Friedman BE-100
Cameron Atomica
Suhr PT-100
Friedman Steve Stevens

All of the above have nice clean tones ( I don't need jazzy cleans, just a clean that does not sound dull), fx loop and channel switcing that makes life easier. Plus all of them have nice marshall-ish tones that you can vary from a nice crunch to a screaming lead and heavy palm muting riffs in the same pack... I don't need anything else, indeed.

Ok, no amp under 3000k so I think I'm still keeping my MArshall and probably a second cheap higain head anyways LOL

I
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:02 am

I'll say this, it is ONE thing to have the TOTAL control, concerning the band you play in and the gear (tones) you use in that band......but, it is quite another thing to have to 'fit' within the context of other's musical ideas. To be able to own and use only ONE amp, in your lifetime is a tough call. I like lots of different styles, tones and sounds, as well as participating and contributing to lots of projects that really dont need me to FORCE any specific tone at the expense of all others.

So, Short of having a Fender twin and a Plexi and a hopped up JCM 800 all set up and ready ,the amp that I've found that does the best at covering the clean and distorted tones that I find most appealing along with the versatility ( channel switching, volume levels, effects loop, etc)one needs for the widest range of musical endeavors is the Marshall DSL series (Jcm2000 DSL or the DSL100h). Unlike many of the boutique amps that cost two and three times as much, these Marshalls, imo, cover the more 'vintage distorted' tones a bit better. Their voicing and feel is closer......not overly tight, hard and compressed, like alot of those other modern hi gainers, which to me sound as much Mesa/Boogie as they do Marshall.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

donnyboiler

Post by donnyboiler » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:00 am

Good question.

There's only one amp for me that would get "close enough" to every musical style I might ever want to cover, and that's the Bogner 101b. It's not my favourite amp (it's probably my third favourite channel switcher), in fact it's not my favourite in any one discipline at all. But it comes close to the top in every area that counts and it would never be a wildly inappropriate thing to bring along, no matter what the gig. So reluctantly it's my desert island amp. I don't own one at the moment because there are other amps I prefer for the styles I play, but as an all-rounder it's hard to top.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:00 am

12xxx series specs, either 50 or 100 watt.

Or any of the ones that others mentioned. Lots of options, Friedman, Suhr, Bogner, etc....
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:47 am

I have been checking this amp out alot lately at my local GC and SA stores. It is really impressing me more and more. Definately not the same 'feel' and openess of a 2 gain stager, but can come pretty darn close in terms of tone. I dont know what it is exactly, but there is something to the voicing of a MARSHALL that is just more Marshall (in that vintage distorted type sense) than other companies/boutique builders. This amp is basically a JCM2000 DSL, EXCEPT, the layout of the circuit has been improved (like no tube sockets on the board, etc) and the labor has been outsourced to Vietnam. Pretty good value at around $899 new with warranty

Here is a Brazilian fella who very well demonstrates how it sounds at lower volumes sitting in the room right in front of the cab (watch all of the vid cause he really matches the playing with the different tones VERY well :thumbsup: )

http://youtu.be/NGDY1ugyeFg

mikefont

Post by mikefont » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Once I got my Bray 4550 Deluxe, I got the amp of my dreams. So that is the answer for me....this vid is the actual soundclip that David sent me for final approval of the amp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmj2SYcen-Y

Currently in tonal HEAVEN with my Bray 4550 Deluxe!

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:57 pm

For me it might be a plexi 50W with basketweave cab. Either JTM 50 or JMP, I could live with either.

Hard to believe I wouldn't pick a 100 watter.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

AndyK

Post by AndyK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:13 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:For me it might be a plexi 50W with basketweave cab. Either JTM 50 or JMP, I could live with either.

Hard to believe I wouldn't pick a 100 watter.

george
Would it have a nice PEC PPIMV??

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:24 pm

mikefont wrote:Once I got my Bray 4550 Deluxe, I got the amp of my dreams. So that is the answer for me....this vid is the actual soundclip that David sent me for final approval of the amp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmj2SYcen-Y

Killer clip, Killer amp :rock:

mikefont

Post by mikefont » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:
mikefont wrote:Once I got my Bray 4550 Deluxe, I got the amp of my dreams. So that is the answer for me....this vid is the actual soundclip that David sent me for final approval of the amp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmj2SYcen-Y

Killer clip, Killer amp :rock:
Thanks, although I would LOVE ta have a Metro-Friedman head too :rock:
Currently in tonal HEAVEN with my Bray 4550 Deluxe!