******'s Mod

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: ******'s Mod

Post by mightymike » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Last edited by mightymike on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:38 pm

I get it now. I deleted the other post and all diagrams so no one tries that stuff. :shock:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Seems we are mixing the cerrrem mod with the variac attenuator... they are two different things

The variac attenuator looks like the pic I posted here:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 5&p=335284

NOTE: The variac is NEVER plugged in to the wall here!
The diagram above assumes that if you do a continuity test between the neutral on the variac power cord and the neutral on the variac socket they ARE connected internally.

DF has said categorically the EVH never did this!
Last edited by vh junkie on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:06 pm

So this is what I've come up with according to MightyMike:

Shit, can't upload a diagram now. Seems that if one post has an uploaded file, the quota is reached and no more files can fit. :what:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Weird with the attachments! I did not upload the pic above... I had already uploaded it years ago... just copied the URL to the pic from the existing copy.
- Gunny Highway

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:20 pm

If you remove it, I can post the one I did as I now know that it is correct and really simplified.

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Cannot remove the pic because it would torpedo the thread I created a while back here:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 5&p=335284

VG is trying to move folks to posting pics elsewhere then linking those pics here.
You can dlete one of you old pics by clicking on User Control Panel (top left of screen) and hitting the Manage Attachments tab. This worked if your upload quota was full before the site was relaunched... now there may be a wait time between upload enforced... not sure...
- Gunny Highway

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:42 pm

No but I think you can remove that file from this topic or thread and it would free up the room here. No? :what:

Earlier when I had an incorrect diagram up, I couldn't upload another file. But then I deleted it and was able to upload again.

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 pm

I did not upload that file... I linked to it from an already existing copy... you need to delete one of your files to upload another.
But to humor you I will remove the link... so that you can see this is true...
- Gunny Highway

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:02 pm

My bad bro. It just made me think that these threads have quota's. It's all good. 8)

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:24 pm

No problem... all of these posts should be deleted... this is the ****** mode thread AND we are talking about the variac attenuator... should post all of this in the variac attenuator thread.
- Gunny Highway

plexified

Post by plexified » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:49 pm

actually , you all have always had my wheels turnining . Thanks for the good vibes . And NO I do not have brain injuries or concussions . Although I wish I had a GO PRO on my bike ;) . So the thing is I was not trying to take away from the Transformer / Resistor experiment which is a REAL Frankenstein experiment and thank you MR. Twisity for all the time in the lab . God that kid needs for me to send him a case of whatever ! He tested outside , during practice indoors and oh , btw , on a vintage Marshall . Gawd we love you Twisty !! I was just giving my props to Chris or ****** who winds the best stuff . He gave so much info through the years and I know because I was planning a Ken Fischer of Trainwreck documentary until he passed unexpectedly . Chris has a huge part of the knowledge passed along from Ken , ASIDE from his own huge cavernous mindset of wisdom . In addition he is a player forever and knows tone and has axess to so many cool tools its nutzo . So My experience was just saying yes I loved the mod Twisty made famous , its awesome and VERY dangerous . I loved the Plexi specs he posted . Mine still has exactly that . And the post was to say that hey gang , the variac set on 90 is a very ironic topic . Ed said he loved 90 and it was just on 10 , stock one cab . Done . Welll , Chris told me one day try this ..... Put your variac on 90 in between your plexi on 10 output and period correct cab . Whaa? Chris are you o.k. , yup . So like JNew said , I trust the guy , I know him for a while and he is competent and such . SOOO , I plugged my 67 12 series into a variac set at 110 volts . I then set the speaker output on 16 ohms . I then made my own wires to adapt a plexi output into a variac set at 90 volts . Two blades only and polarity the same in and out . I powered it up and played Push Come Shove . Done . I played that song , because before I could breathe the damn amp was oscillating with this most beautiful harmonic and sucking the air out of my lungs to fund the harmonic . It was nirvana . I swelled the volume knob out to single notes just like the start of the song and was just dumbfounded . So I went with it . OOOOHHHHHHh OOOOhhhO woah , Yeah . Some people ...... blah blah . It was so scary to think I had about 12 grand of guitar gear ready to go up in smoke , I was elated to a new level . One note can change your life . It showed up that day . Man that note was good . So pick left or right on the blade and just make sure its the same way out in your "rigging" . You have to scavenge an extension cord to wire the socket in and out . Its not pretty , its true Frankenstein and its insane sounding . I think of the crazy amount of copper the signal travels through in this set up and I think back to Ken Fischer and his comment about his Ac 30 rig . He said he uses a 30 foot cord of vacuum cleaner cord to connect the amp to the extension cabinet . In the cab its open back with only a bottom 6 inch board . The top is open and he talks magic and jangle and I believe him . Its proven in this experiment . I does not hurt the amp and it just has this , shimmer with attack and decay and LOVE all day long . As far as a new amp , no idea . I just used a 12k rig older than me . Shit 67 makes it wha .... 47 . wow . Pushy set up man . LOVE IT !

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:13 pm

So no tricks or mods to the variac? Just straight out of the head, to the variac's AC power cord's male plug. And then the Variacs AC out to the cab keeping the tip and sleeve, like for like through the power cords and Variac? That's all there is to it? 8)

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Seriously? The variac goes between the head and cab on the main speaker lead??
Set at 90 and instant vh with stock well tuned plexi?
Who has tried this?

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:44 pm

" I then made my own wires to adapt a plexi output into a variac set at 90 volts . Two blades only and polarity the same in and out ."

Chris told me you have to modify the Variac. That you can't just go from the speaker jack on your amp to the male plug on the Variac (hot and Neutral) and then out of the female output plug on the variac to the speaker.

Is this all you did? If so, it sounds as simple as cutting and 8ft extention cord in half, soldering 1/4" jacks on the ends and using these to hook variac between amp and cab.

Chris said this will fry an amp.
:popcorn: