Fryette's new load/reamping device

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

eljodon
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Fryette's new load/reamping device

Post by eljodon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:31 pm

dirtycooter wrote:Did he just take the filters completely out? Or changed the crossover points?
Seems it could be a bypass switcheable option possibly. And probably will be in the future if he gets alot of requests for this.
He just took out the low pass filter completely and changed the presence like I described before. I'm sure it could be made into a switchable option but the back panel barely has any space. But I think once you try it, you wouldn't want to go back because if you just plug your amp straight into a cab there's no low pass filter in between so that's why I think it sounds more natural to me.
I also asked him if they were thinking of making a 100 watt version just for curiosity and he said that it's already in the works.
Suhr PT100SE ,Metro/Friedman 68' Plexi, ,Friedman BE100,EVH 5150iiiS,Fender Vibrolux 68'/Alessandro,VoxAC30,Kemper

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:48 am

I dunno what you'd ever want a 100watts for. I was worried the low end whoomph and resonance would be lost with this version at 50watts and its NOT at all. Big fat thunky woody cabinet still there. Just at saner volume.
I have a feeling this will get bastardized and copied. I had this idea a while back. But doin is another thing and he is first to the races here.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:03 am

:palm:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:11 pm

dirtycooter wrote:I dunno what you'd ever want a 100watts for. I was worried the low end whoomph and resonance would be lost with this version at 50watts and its NOT at all. Big fat thunky woody cabinet still there. Just at saner volume.
I have a feeling this will get bastardized and copied. I had this idea a while back. But doin is another thing and he is first to the races here.
I've been also thinking about something like the PS after trying the Reload and the Ultimate attenuator. The Reload's SS power amp was crap and lacked the power which you can hear it struggling to keep up! A tube power amp makes much more sense because as you know it doesn't clip like an SS amp.

I'm happy wight he 50 watt myself, it's plenty for my studio,but a 100 watt version might be useful for live situations were you might need more headroom in bigger venues.
Suhr PT100SE ,Metro/Friedman 68' Plexi, ,Friedman BE100,EVH 5150iiiS,Fender Vibrolux 68'/Alessandro,VoxAC30,Kemper

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:30 pm

I woulda liked a lunch box size head with load box built in. Like a baby head slave with load and true plexi power section.
I am not real cracked about the package other than its compact and light. It just seems like it woulda been more robust in a wood enclosure like a head. Little more roomy. And keepin a vintage look. While the PS is compact and light its not exactly re-assuring to pack up and move with other gear.
Dunno what the forehead slappin is all about. I mentioned it here years ago as a product to be built. Factoid. Dated. Documented. Well before this products debut.
Suprised Dave or George didn't "package" it up before this. Ret to go all in one deal. :what:

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:08 pm

I think the head slapping was about a PS 100 watt version idea, because many people might find it to be stupid thing to do. And I would agree as far as small bar shows and studio. But I've done shows in front of 30 to 45,000 people and if it wasn't for slaving my a Groove Tube Soul'o 150 and a Marshall JCM800 through 2 Carvin FET900 power amps with 4 to 6 Marshall cabs, it would have been difficult to hear myself!But that was in 1995!

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:48 pm

So how much did it brighten things up now that you made the switch? Or is it not so much brightness but definition?
I am thinkin now you may be right, it could be a bit "crisper" is the word I wanna use in a very subtle way.

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:57 pm

It made it brighter, but the cool thing about it is that you can use the switches an the presence to darken it up.But I'm getting better clarity and definition than before. Before when you lower the volume of the guitar I couldn't hear the brightness that I was used to getting. It also made the bright switch more effective that when you change it to a different setting like edge or brite the difference is more noticeable. You can achieve the subtle "crisper" that you want, but you'll have to set the switch to flat and set the presence to taste until you achieve what you want.
I like the fact that with some amps I set the switch to flat and using the presence to add the brightness and with other amps using brite or edge with the presence higher. So I think the unit is more flexible because amps that were to dark before you can add brightness to them, were as before, it wasn't possible to the degree that I can do it now.
I'll try to make some clips if I can. It's a busy weekend with my kids out of school and I'm doing some upgrades in my studio and there's cables everywhere !!

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:36 pm

dirtycooter wrote:I am lovin the Custom. At first it was so damn bright. But I was smart enough to dumb down the signal path with some fat chicks in the back of this big block hot rod. Gettin traction much better traction now. Come on girls put them asses directly over the Ford 9" :lol:
I dunno how this pickup was under the radar for so long. It shits and gits. Exactly the fix I was huntin for.
Feels like I made leaps and bounds between this and the frybaby and a few months ago I started variac'n.
Now the front end is probably much more in spec to deliver some suprises especially with the 6band takin it up a notch.
The mid drive area is pretty touchy and maybe later I will try the wolfgang p/u. I see these two maybe neck and neck in the mid dept with the Custom just bein hotter from all the collateral info out there I have gathered and clips. I can definitly tell where this custom will be honky in the 5153 like the wolfgang evh pickups withoit even pluggin in yet. I refuse to puss out and go on the A2 crack diet for my mid needs. Or maybe it will be the SSV next. But it will be a while before I move on again.

Fryette musta needed a beercation from probably what is and has been slam donky city orders.
I was pleased with my lead time though. It was rather quick for comin outta the gate just a few months ago.
Do you mean the Duncan Custom? It has been my VH pickup for the past 2-4 years!!
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:41 pm

Yep Duncan Custom. 8)

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:54 am

Just got one last week. I really like it so far. The tone switches and knobs on the front panel really make it easy to dial in the right frequencies for the sound you want. And the effects loop works great. I haven't felt the need to throw my mxr 6 band in there to adjust the sound. I don't think it's needed with this device.

And I must say that guy is loud! I had it turned up pretty loud for about a minute and it was too much for the room I was playing in. But it was good to know that it will torch your ears if you are into that sort of thing. It retained the sound of my 68 superbass very well. I didn't hear any weird coloration or compression while using it. I'm still tweeking it but so far I am really pleased with it. :champ:

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:19 am

Seems very cool!! What's the sound and performance difference between running your amp full up and using the Fryette?
~guitar007

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:58 am

To be honest I've never had this superbass full up for too long to really know the sound unattenuated. I've always had an attenuator in line to tame the volume. Always paranoid that I'm going to blow the voice coils in my greenbacks :shock: To the best of my knowledge and experience with attenuators/loads/poweramps, this does everything I need to attenuate the superbass in a nice convenient little package. Never tried the Aracom attenuator, but that was 2nd on my list to look at and try out. I think I'll stick with the Fryette for a while. :D

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 pm

I spoke with Steve from Fryette and he's going to add a switch so you can have the option to bypass the low pass filter to the PS! Plus he's going to add other of cool upgrades. I asked him to consider doing it when he modified my PS awhile ago because I felt it made a huge difference adding some "air" and sparkle to my tone. I think many players are going to love this new upgrade!

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:44 pm

eljodon wrote:I spoke with Steve from Fryette and he's going to add a switch so you can have the option to bypass the low pass filter to the PS! Plus he's going to add other of cool upgrades. I asked him to consider doing it when he modified my PS awhile ago because I felt it made a huge difference adding some "air" and sparkle to my tone. I think many players are going to love this new upgrade!
Did he say if this will be the "power station mk2"? Will it be more expensive?