Fryette's new load/reamping device

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Fryette's new load/reamping device

Post by Roe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:50 pm

initial report, comparing with alex attenuator (aka Scumback db limiter) at low volume with comet 60, hamer korina special and 1x12".
The response is more different than the sound. The alex sounds somewhat compressed and has a slower response compared to the PS. The PS is simply more punchy, dynamic and lively at low volume. The voicing is a little different as well but they can be made to sound roughly similar with some tweaking (the PS have more eq options than the Alex). The PS sounds slightly brighter at low volume than the Alex (corresponding roughly to the Alex bright switch in the 1 - i.e. second darkest - setting)
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

bobtec
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by bobtec » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:52 pm

No 100 watt,No rack mount,Why use tubes? SS.would be fine like the H&H....Even my 40 yr old Altair PL-5 Toasterattenuator sounds good with a low watt Fender amp....I am sure it is a good Attenuator....My 23 yr old PS Systems Power Tool Reactive load still works pretty good,It was based on the Marshall SE-100 and the one Aspen Pittman(Groove Tubes) made in the early 1990's

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:12 am

bobtec wrote:No 100 watt,No rack mount,Why use tubes? SS.would be fine like the H&H....Even my 40 yr old Altair PL-5 Toasterattenuator sounds good with a low watt Fender amp....I am sure it is a good Attenuator....My 23 yr old PS Systems Power Tool Reactive load still works pretty good,It was based on the Marshall SE-100 and the one Aspen Pittman(Groove Tubes) made in the early 1990's
the badcat unleash uses a SS poweramp instead of tubes. So far people seem to prefer the tone and response of the fryette to the unleash
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pasian4life
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Pasian4life » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:19 pm

Interesting. I've been using the unleash since it released. I preferred boosting 1watt amps vs taming the plexi and the loop is great. VS my metro 2203 Browneye with metro loop I like the metro better.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:20 am

I am stavin off. My variac got me where I wanted to be volume wise. So this would be redundant to add and I am in the train of thought here less is more with this whole part.
I already have the wdw thing down cold so it wouldn't even help there either.
Still lookin for bodaciously killer brown clips of this thing though. Always gotta stay on the open and in the know.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:26 am

Hey Roe, how is the 'feel' and reactance different from reamping with this (Power Station) as opposed to just lone amp or attenuating. My exp. is that there is a feel difference when running seperate preamps to poweramps. A lone head has a feel to it that is unique.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Roe

Post by Roe » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:17 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Hey Roe, how is the 'feel' and reactance different from reamping with this (Power Station) as opposed to just lone amp or attenuating. My exp. is that there is a feel difference when running seperate preamps to poweramps. A lone head has a feel to it that is unique.
I have only been able to do low volume testing at home. the feel of the power station is better than anything I've tried at low volume. It's punchy, aggressive, detailed and a tad unforgiving. you hear and feel nuanses better

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Tue May 19, 2015 12:24 am

Bump

Any further reports now that some have probably been past the honeymoon stage?????

Roe

Post by Roe » Wed May 20, 2015 4:33 am

I'm using mine every second day or so - works great

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Wed May 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Just pulled the trigger. Can't stand it. Just had to do it with all those glorious reamped tones out there it sent me over the edge. Variac works great for volume reduction but where it sounds best is kinda not good for hearing health. So the anxiety laden wait is on :D

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:52 pm

I love mine
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Thu May 21, 2015 9:00 pm

I run a pretty standard vintage EVH chain:
MXR Flanger -> MXR Phaser -> Echoplex -> Plexi -> Cab

When I tried to do this:
MXR Flanger -> MXR Phaser -> Echoplex -> Plexi -> PS (with reverb unit in loop) -> Cab
The plexi would squeal like a pig if you turned it past 5

Turned out this went away if I took the MXR Flanger and the Echoplex out from in front of the amp.
This also went away if I took the reverb out of the PS loop.

I would be curious to know if anyone else can reproduce this problem.
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Fri May 22, 2015 9:24 am

vh junkie wrote:I run a pretty standard vintage EVH chain:

When I tried to do this:
MXR Flanger -> MXR Phaser -> Echoplex -> Plexi -> PS (with reverb unit in loop) -> Cab

Turned out this went away if I took the MXR Flanger and the Echoplex out from in front of the amp.

Did you try Mr. Beasty's solution on the last page?
Star*Guitar

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri May 22, 2015 11:55 am

OK
Maybe a question I shoulda asked BEFORE I made the drunk impulse buy... :palm:

Is anyone getting natural "feedback" through this thing???

as in Jimi Hendrix induced normal rolling into feedback thing??
Or is it dead as Elvis in this dept???

My douche built homemade dummy load and the matrix couldn't do it and it TOTALLY f'd up the feel for me. :? I like the verge of runaway feedback but still barely in control feel. That tells me its ALIVE . and when you got the exact tone you want and are in that zone and surfin on the edge?? THAT IS THE SHIT RIGHT THERE 8)

Because I have yet to hear anyone do this in a demo. All the rest of the stuff sounds killer from what I seen.
Said mine is set to ship already out the door so maybe I can get my puss pokers and booger pickers on it next week :what: .

I await the goodies to get here-I am so hard the cat can't scratch it :mrgreen:

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Fri May 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Star*Guitar wrote:
vh junkie wrote:I run a pretty standard vintage EVH chain:

When I tried to do this:

Did you try Mr. Beasty's solution on the last page?
That idea did not work:
The solution is just be to cut the ground on one side of the instrument cable that runs from the Hotplate to the fx.
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway