Stan Spec or Scumback?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Stan Spec or Scumback?

Post by rgorke » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:48 pm

I would say that the "Stan" specs are essentially the M75 Scumbacks with the Scumbacks being better. The Stan Specs were designed to be pre role celestion clones.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

jnew

Post by jnew » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:20 pm

I had the M75's at the same time I had the Weber's Roger. M75's still had better clarity/detail and just a bit more open sounding but were pretty close otherwise. The second quad of Weber's I had sounded better and closer yet, to the M-75's but for some reason, they always had a sort of restricted or choked off thing in comparison. For a while, Weber made Jim's stuff so according to Jim, there was hit and miss going on which is why I believe they are no longer making Jim's stuff. :what:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:11 pm

So, you are confirming what I thought I was trying to say.... :thumbsup:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

jnew

Post by jnew » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Umm........yeah. I think so. :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brad737
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Brad737 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:56 pm

Quick update for you all. I received the pair of used Scumbacks today, and installed them in my 1960 slant cab. It's now loaded with 2 Weber 12-25 "Stan Specs" and the Scumback M75-65 watters with Paper Voice Coils. I loaded them in an X pattern.

The Scums and Stans both sound fantastic and sound VERY similar. But if pressed, I think the M75s might sound just a tiny bit brighter. Maybe not brighter, but I think they have just a little more sizzle. Regardless, they sound spectacular.

I'm VERY happy with the sound of my Mod 5 through my cabinet. But I would still like to try a pair of the Scumback Blackbacks. From Jim's website, he says the BM-75 is his recommendation for early EVH, so I'm going to try them just out of principle. I've been on a tear lately, so I need to let my checking account recover a little before I order,. Hopefully, the sale wont't be over then. But I'm definitely going to have to try them.

Anyway, if I may make a recommendation, if your Plexi is a little dark, I think the M75s are the way to go. If your amp is a little bright, perhaps the Stan Specs might be more your thing. I'll be looking forward to trying the BM75s ASAP.

Thanks,
Brad
Model citizen...Zero discipline