For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

white noise
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Real Mod 5 pics

Post by white noise » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:42 pm

mightymike wrote:No prob. :-)

Same amp as in the sticky VH Style Mod thread
Mark's first Aluminum 12000 build. Looks like he took the M err en PT out too.

Signed chassis
http://www.mediafire.com/view/vxadtj3bw ... CN0001.JPG

More gut shots
http://www.mediafire.com/view/n1zoo2414 ... CN0004.JPG

http://www.mediafire.com/view/1ulslty5l ... CN0005.JPG

Very nice! I had never seen the picture where it was signed before.

thank you for sharing!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Have White Noise or any other owners of Mark modded Mod 5 amps experienced microphonic feedback problems? As most of you know, I'm no tech...which is why I got Mark to do the work on my 2x12 Marshall combo. I've been plagued with microphonic feedback...I can't turn up past 2 or 3 on the master volume without ear splitting microphonic feedback. I've tried several guitars, all of which have wax potted pickups, and I always get this feedback. It seems to be worst on my Flying V, but the bad feedback is there regardless of which guitar I'm using.

I've basically had this problem from Day 1 and Mark was trying to help me figure it out along with my own tech in Lake Charles. Now that I've moved back to Houston, I'll probably bring it to my longtime tech and see what he can make of it. I know there is a laundry list of possible causes, but I thought I'd take a shot in the dark and see if anyone has had a similar problem? I'd like to preserve the integrity of what Mark did and I want to avoid changing any parts or values unless they would be identical to what Mark used in my build. PM me please to avoid a further de-rail of this thread:) Thanks in advance!

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:34 pm

Have you tried changing preamp tubes? Try lightly tapping each tube with a chop stick. You might be able to tell which one it is by that method.

white noise

Post by white noise » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:38 am

garbeaj wrote:Have White Noise or any other owners of Mark modded Mod 5 amps experienced microphonic feedback problems? As most of you know, I'm no tech...which is why I got Mark to do the work on my 2x12 Marshall combo. I've been plagued with microphonic feedback...I can't turn up past 2 or 3 on the master volume without ear splitting microphonic feedback. I've tried several guitars, all of which have wax potted pickups, and I always get this feedback. It seems to be worst on my Flying V, but the bad feedback is there regardless of which guitar I'm using.

I've basically had this problem from Day 1 and Mark was trying to help me figure it out along with my own tech in Lake Charles. Now that I've moved back to Houston, I'll probably bring it to my longtime tech and see what he can make of it. I know there is a laundry list of possible causes, but I thought I'd take a shot in the dark and see if anyone has had a similar problem? I'd like to preserve the integrity of what Mark did and I want to avoid changing any parts or values unless they would be identical to what Mark used in my build. PM me please to avoid a further de-rail of this thread:) Thanks in advance!

Never had any Microphonic Feedback issues with any of my Mod 5's, I would definitely try what mightymike said about checking the preamp tubes with a chopstick.

Do you ever get up to San Antonio? - its not that far from Houston. would be happy to take a look at it for you.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:16 am

Actually I'm going to San Antonio tomorrow on 10-03-15...but my wife would kill me! I'm going to take it to my tech and have him check it out. I will try the chopstick test on the tubes (now I finally have a use for those things!)...but I think I'll just make sure my tech checks everything thoroughly and I'm going to make extra sure that he sources identical replacement parts if necessary.

I love the amp and it does sound great...I think Mark could get a variety of sounds from it, but for me it is a bit of a one trick pony. It would be cool if I could have channel switching to go from the Mod 5 channel to the cleaner channel that Mark left untouched. It would help when trying to do something like the "Women In Love" strat intro to the ballsy Franky sound on the rest of "Women In Love". I'm always having a personality crisis when it comes to amps...maybe I need a Fractal or one of the "multi-voiced" Marshall tones in the newer Bogner amps?

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by chrisom » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Unhook it from it's onboard combo speakers and run cable to an external cabinet to see if it's caused by speaker vibrating the combo chassis/cab/tubes?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:30 pm

chrisom wrote:Unhook it from it's onboard combo speakers and run cable to an external cabinet to see if it's caused by speaker vibrating the combo chassis/cab/tubes?
Tried that...not it. The feedback is excruciating even when the master volume is on 2.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Good news...had a bad power tube. Cost a shitload of money, but that was the main problem. I should be picking up my Rockstah Marshall combo on Friday and I'll putz around with it...I hope everything works-it has been a hell of a long time since it has been working properly!

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:59 am

garbeaj wrote:
Good news...had a bad power tube. Cost a shitload of money, but that was the main problem. I should be picking up my Rockstah Marshall combo on Friday and I'll putz around with it...I hope everything works-it has been a hell of a long time since it has been working properly!
So garbeaj, how does she sound? Was your problem eliminated?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:42 pm

garbeaj wrote:Good news...had a bad power tube. Cost a shitload of money, but that was the main problem. I should be picking up my Rockstah Marshall combo on Friday and I'll putz around with it...I hope everything works-it has been a hell of a long time since it has been working properly!
echoplexi1974 wrote:So garbeaj, how does she sound? Was your problem eliminated?
Yep! Sounds pretty fantastic...I'm screwing around with it a little now when time permits. I recently got an H9 Core and I've been using the Harmonizer settings on that to get some 1984 album sounds from it, though I'm really shooting in the dark to a degree with that.

I've of course been using my '78 B&W Frankenstein replica (which is essentially the same guitar that Mark used for his VH demos except mine has a maple neck) and that sounds incredible. I use the settings that Mark gave me that he used on all his VH demo clips and it sounds great...just as the amp did when I first got it from him! Super happy! It cost me $200 to fix, but I'm glad I did it.

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:15 pm

Awesome! :hairband: That amp is a keeper :vh:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:55 pm

I'm really digging it...here is a pic of my amp at Mark's house with his guitar and the setup he used to record his clip of him playing through my finished amp:

And here is Mark's clip with my amp...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=11294718

I'll make a clip soon, but without the production (reverb) that Mark had on the above clip...

Lbrown3743

Post by Lbrown3743 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:52 am

His clips are awesome.

roylfuchs

Post by roylfuchs » Wed May 25, 2016 8:32 pm

mightymike wrote:No prob. :-)

Same amp as in the sticky VH Style Mod thread
Mark's first Aluminum 12000 build. Looks like he took the M err en PT out too.

Signed chassis
http://www.mediafire.com/view/vxadtj3bw ... CN0001.JPG

More gut shots
http://www.mediafire.com/view/n1zoo2414 ... CN0004.JPG

http://www.mediafire.com/view/1ulslty5l ... CN0005.JPG
Could you tell me what the value is for the Sprague Atom on V2A...it looks smaller than a 25uf.
"This country's goin' to tha dog's!"

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:10 am

Sorry for the long time to reply. That V2a cap is confirmed to be a 25uf. Flames repaired that amp for Mark.