Rockstah humming issues...any advice?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Sean_McFly
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Rockstah humming issues...any advice?

Post by Sean_McFly » Mon May 18, 2015 11:37 pm

Hey guys, my Rockstah Mod 5 (a 1980 2204 with one or two original Transformers and v1 and v2 preamp tubes I believe) is making some serious hum and also making some odd buzzing overtones when the volume is rolled back on the guitar. What do you guys think it could be? I could send an audio clip to you guys of the sounds I'm talking about. Now I'm hesitant about bringing it to a local tech (even though he's apparently amazing with tube amps) mostly because if he messes the tone up, there's no getting that tone back from the original modder, as we all know (R.I.P. Mark). It's a struggle all Rockstah owners share (as well as Jose Arredondo owners). But hey, a great boat to be in nonetheless. So, could anyone shed some light on this, or even give their two cents regarding if I should bring it to a tech or not? :help:
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

stef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Rockstah humming issues...any advice?

Post by stef » Tue May 19, 2015 7:56 am

Preamp tube(s)

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue May 19, 2015 8:38 am

I would recommend making a note on the tubes and any components that Mark used. Take lots of pictures of the amp removed from the chassis. Make sure to tell the tech to keep the circuit the same...I know what you mean about some guy messing with it. One tech that I used screwed something up when I first got the amp from Mark and I had to have Mark call the guy and walk him through what to do. And this was an experienced tech...I've been lucky so far since then and my amp has operated well.

Good call to check with the guys here that Mark got his knowledge from in the first place. Somebody here will be able to help you, I'm confident of that.

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:56 am

This has happened to me before. Before you take it in to a tech, make sure you have put in a fresh set of tubes all around that you know are good and replace all your cables with known, working cables. Hopefully, it is something basic like a bad tube or a weak connection in the signal chain. If not, then it starts to get into the guts of the amp which can get expensive and very frustrating.

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:38 am

Yep, techs do get expensive. I got an idea, why don't we start an amp building forum so we can build and learn about amps. :scratch: We can call it MetroAmp. :peace:

white noise

Post by white noise » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Strat78 wrote:Yep, techs do get expensive. I got an idea, why don't we start an amp building forum so we can build and learn about amps. :scratch: We can call it MetroAmp. :peace:
:clap: :champ:

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:59 pm

white noise wrote:
Strat78 wrote:Yep, techs do get expensive. I got an idea, why don't we start an amp building forum so we can build and learn about amps. :scratch: We can call it MetroAmp. :peace:
:clap: :champ:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:38 am

Nice one Phil :peace:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:28 am

It will NEVER work!!!!!
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:21 am

I needed that laugh.

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Great, he is in the right place. Now what ? I am interested in this too.

Let's say he has ruled out any tubes or external cable issues. He pulls the chassis, flips it upside down onto proper stands,
drains the caps, has out his voltmeter . . . what next ?

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:06 pm

Megaro wrote:Great, he is in the right place. Now what ? I am interested in this too.

Let's say he has ruled out any tubes or external cable issues. He pulls the chassis, flips it upside down onto proper stands,
I get you.. Even though it's an amp builders forum, not all of us are builders (or experienced ones)... on the other hand I laughed my ass out with Phill's joke... anyways

Hum can be many things, including grounding issues. I'd look for that first, I mean, check the star ground (if the amp has one), the chassis and other harware grouding and so on.... Oh, an I'd try to change the place where you are pluging the amp into the walll... maybe it's not in the amp..

Next I'd check the PS filter caps. Assuming that the amp didn't have any hum issues before, I beleave we can discard bad wiring layout and other building errors ... the power supply has many spots that can create hum.... after that I"d go with the coupling caps between the stages and then the PI coupling. The list goes on and I beleave that most lilkely it's a bad tube or a simple grounding issue.

PS: I'm not an experienced builder. just my 2 cents :mrgreen:
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

scriptphase

Post by scriptphase » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Sean_McFly wrote:Hey guys, my Rockstah Mod 5 (a 1980 2204 with one or two original Transformers and v1 and v2 preamp tubes I believe) is making some serious hum and also making some odd buzzing overtones when the volume is rolled back on the guitar. What do you guys think it could be? I could send an audio clip to you guys of the sounds I'm talking about. Now I'm hesitant about bringing it to a local tech (even though he's apparently amazing with tube amps) mostly because if he messes the tone up, there's no getting that tone back from the original modder, as we all know (R.I.P. Mark). It's a struggle all Rockstah owners share (as well as Jose Arredondo owners). But hey, a great boat to be in nonetheless. So, could anyone shed some light on this, or even give their two cents regarding if I should bring it to a tech or not? :help:
I recommend Carl Esparza out of Whittier, CA. He goes by Fusionbear on several gear forums...maybe this one too? Carl does part-time amp repair and custom builds. He worked for Jose Arrendondo back in the day.

A couple of years ago, I sent Carl my Mod 5 due to a white noise issue. He knew the Mod 5 circuit well and was careful not to change anything that would effect the sound of the mod. The work was very affordable with a quick turnaround. Highly recommended.

scriptphase

Post by scriptphase » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:02 pm

Here's Carl's website with some contact info: http://biblefreak.org/fusionbear/

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Megaro wrote:Great, he is in the right place. Now what ? I am interested in this too.

I haven't used a stand in years. :D Could be a ground loop, or even as simple as a bad power bar. It's all pretty easy, but dangerous if you don't do your homework. You can find topics on most any amp problem here by using the search. You can poke around with a chopstick while the amp is on to see if there are any obvious cold solder joints. Push the nfb wire away from other wires (Do all this with your left hand in your pocket as a rule, you don't want to take 375v through your heart). Check to see if the bias has not drifted out of range. Then turn the amp off and drain the caps. Re-flow suspect solder joints. I would take out the old radial silver mica caps (the little black ones) and replace them with Lemco's. These particular radial caps that were widely used back when Mark was modding, seem to go bad with use. Where are the CC resistors in the circuit, they might be causing noise. Posting gut shots always helps too. On another note, the clips of this amp sound a little brittle, anything higher that 100pf for the mix cap seems to emphasis that twangy harshness, but then again the Mod5 can be hard on the ears with out the presence functioning in combo with the cascade.