Sag with 6 band EQ?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

dirtycooter

Sag with 6 band EQ?

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Kinda experiencing some sag on hard picked notes runnin a SD Custom and also does it worse with a DSD.
Anyone suppose this is the elusive sag part of the tone we hear in VH1?
Its like it doesn't quite clip but pulls down a bit like on I'm The One particularly at time 3:20 to 3:22 where he really rags on those 2nd and 3rd strings.
Its like a compression type deal.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their 6bands

rgalpin

Re: Sag with 6 band EQ?

Post by rgalpin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:58 pm

at 3:20 to 3:22 i'm not hearing anything right there - he's doing those octave wammy climb things doesn;t sound like it's pushing the amp one way or another right there - but - at 2:46 - man that sounds like maybe v3 is collapsing - to pinpoint what i'm talking about it sounds like he ends the phrase with 3 notes -> B string: 15 fret, G string: 14, 12 - those last three notes before he begins the chromatic climb up to the A for the break. those 3 last high notes in particular just punish the amp - this is that cymbal splash thing to my ears and i think it happens when you take V3 to the point where it kind of collapses on itself. i wonder if you can see the cymbal splash distortion on a scope.

so i wonder what the difference is in the sound of "sag" verses the sound of "splash" ??

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Hmmm.. there is actually a few parts in the song that exhibit similar behavior.
But my 6band seems to dip down and sag on hard attack particularly around the 5-7th 9th frets of strings 2-3.
The 800 band is about a little over +9dB on my sliders with all the others fallin down and away from that.
Like some kind of compressor at extreme settings and I am at the headroom limit. Its the newer griffin modded one with less noise.
I like the sound of it but this is one aspect I am not so sure I like really. Kinda weird.

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:05 pm

I heard it as less pick attack when I had one -- that what you mean or...?
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:22 pm

If you pick light to medium its POWwwwwwwwww
Hard and diggin in its powWWWWWWWWW
I just wonder if its the dynamic of the pickup getting to strong for the eq's ceiling/headroom.
I like it and I don't. The noise level is superb over stock ones-not even slightly bothersome. And its tone seems to exhibit things just fine as one would expect. I don't think its so much the mojo parts here but which frequencies get boosted and phase relations of those bands.
Thinkin of gettin the Whirlwind Perfect Ten. Thats supposed to be over engineered studio quality clean kinda like the Boss GE10. No one has took the plunge yet on this one so I will have to be the one to bite on this first. Same band adjustments as the boss and runs at 18volts for headroom. Which sounds specf'ntacular to me spec wise.
I had mxr 10 newer stock-worked but it was a noisey hissy pile of shit was the only problem.
I have a hard time plunkin down on an old Boss because of the "so old it took a permanent shit factor". I just don't like to invest in ailing stuff.
What I hope for is the seperate adjustable gain/volume slider keeps the e.q. curve but lets me taylor the over all gain and slam to the amps input and maybe gwttin me some VH2 type lesser gain tones. Because I got plenty of low input softer velvetier gain for VH1 but seem to have a hard time dumbin it down to later album levels. Lookin for that nice all around pocket of just rightness. I think this will be key with that volume slider addin a twist. I know what I am after and this seems the exact answer to the jones.