Adressing the PT/stock amp threads + clip

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Ralle

Re: Adressing the PT/stock amp threads + clip

Post by Ralle » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:37 am

I think it's shorted out somewhere on one of the primary sides... maybe it's possible to rewind it... guess iy depends on who does that :wink:

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:48 am

You do know that would be, right? :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:37 pm

He he... yeah, but that's not what I mean... I think one of the windings are shorted out somewhere... a leakage between the turns... If my memory serves me right it was the side that goes to v4-5... they redplated, plus it didn't sound as good as it should have been... I switched sides, and the redplating followed the ot, so... :(

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:42 am

Star*Guitar wrote:I just wanted to say this is one of the most fun threads Ive read in awhile. Thanks Ralle!! :) And Jnew, you're killing me with sourcing those hunts death caps!! :scratch: :lol:
These are the ones I'm going with. Close enough for the time being:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/HUNTS-capacitor-A ... nav=SEARCH

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:44 pm

Those correct size NOS hunts are nearly impossible to find. :bang: Ralle, are you using the modded Power Brake in that clip? I'm thinking of switching back to mine.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:25 am

Yep. Nearly impossible on the Hunt's. Where can the info on the modded Power Brake. Something about the way it may be loading his amp. Something is unique about that setup of his.

jape88
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by jape88 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:05 am

one wire mod copy.jpg
one wire mod copy.jpg (73.76 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
jnew, it's the one wire mod.

Ralle are you still using the PB and the second load box on this clip?

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Yes... as allways... that's the only thinhg that ( IMO ) work transparent enough to bring out what's in there... I look at it the other way around; the way the PB is stock, is in a way a mod... I mean having an LC filter ( like a loudness function ) is a mod to me, where its real function is affected in a bad way... the wire bypasses that filter, and lets the PB work as it really should, as a transparent attenuator... I know there's a bunch of stuff out there about attenuators... wich one is more transparent than the other, but for the money I spent for it, it works as a charm. And it's way better than a lot of stuff out there... It was a good friend of mine that showed me it was possible to do this... a long time ago...

Like Iv'e said before, that seccond load box, as you call it, is nothing more than the effect resistors that's in the PB from the factory... same value, only bigger ( more effect ), due to a blown ot many years ago... the resistors in the pb got so hot they melted the solderings... and got dissconnected, thus a blown tranny... So I keep them externally, and at a higher effect rating, but the same value; 8 ohms...

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:36 am

This is good info on the Power Brake. I will save this for if I ever try the attenuation route. I've always avoided it believing it just changed things too much but your tone sounds like "AN AMP". Not a constricted or choked amp.
Speaking of your amp, the two little electrolytics in your bias circuit. Does your amp have 8uF's or 10uF's. I've schematics with both values. And the diode in your bias circuit. 1N4007?

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:40 am

I've stayed with 8uF for quite some time now... gets it a bit rawer :wink:... In the schems, 8u's are for the EL34's, and the 10u's are for the 6550 or MkII amps... But we've all know that's not accurat, most of the 70's amps will most likely be found with 10rs... it's like more time based than model based... The diod is the ones that are in the old ones... they don't look the same as the 40007's... they are cone shaped on one side... I got it from my -69... as well as the bridge diods.
It actually makes a difference, the amp sound a bit thumpier, or chunkier if you know what I mean... don't know that much about diods, but it sounds better :wink:

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:49 am

I do believe these diodes make a difference. The caps too. I've gone with 8Uf's. Do you know the #'s on your diodes. Are they the tophat looking ones?

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:09 pm

tophat? how do you mean?

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:27 pm

The funny little guys that look like this:
http://www.valvestorm.com/Products/Comp ... Rectifiers

BUT, I re-read your post and realized that you described the diode with a cone shape so no, it's not the top hat type. I think the top hat types were before the 68's anyway. Did you see any #'s on yours? 8)