Lets talk tubes!

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

motrock

Lets talk tubes!

Post by motrock » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:44 am

Ok guys, I need some advice on tubes. I am wanting some new preamp tubes. My Sylvania 12ax7 went bad and the Mullard reissues that I bought lasted a day! LOL So what do you guys suggest? Right now I have some chinese tubes in my 50watt. Not sure what else is good thats out there? And where do I buy tubes at? Who is reliable. I went to ValveQueen for my Mullards. They were bad the moment I got them.

How about 6CA7s? I am hearing that the EH are really close to the old Sylvanias? I still have another set of Sylvania's; however, I would like to put newer tubes in there that sound similar to the Sylvanias. I am going to guess we are splitting hairs here. However, I want something that I won't care about going bad. The old Sylvania's I want to keep good for a while!

motrock

Re: Lets talk tubes!

Post by motrock » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:00 am

Bumping this thread. Anyone have some suggestions?

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:56 am

I find that NOS GE, RCA, and old Tung-Sol 12AX7A are decent sounding valves, and are available throught many outlets. The EH 6CA7's that I have sound basically identical to the Sylvania 6CA7's that I also have. You just have to be careful not overload the plate & screen voltage(s) on the EH 6CA7's.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:19 pm

I would strongly urge you to get three preamp tubes, used, ANOS or NOS if your budget allows.

1) Mullard 12AX7 / ECC83 from England

2) Telefunken 12AX7 / ECC83 from Germany

3) Amperex Bugle Boy or Orange Globe logo 12AX7 / ECC83 from Holland

These three were the most popular preamp tubes back in the 60/70's, and they're still the best sounding preamp tubes you can put in your Marshall / inspired / clone amps today. One of these will be the sound you're looking for.

Probably set you back around $200-250 on eBay used, or ANOS (almost NOS).

They make a much bigger difference than power tubes, IMO.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

motrock

Post by motrock » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:57 am

Scumback Speakers wrote:I would strongly urge you to get three preamp tubes, used, ANOS or NOS if your budget allows.

1) Mullard 12AX7 / ECC83 from England

2) Telefunken 12AX7 / ECC83 from Germany

3) Amperex Bugle Boy or Orange Globe logo 12AX7 / ECC83 from Holland

These three were the most popular preamp tubes back in the 60/70's, and they're still the best sounding preamp tubes you can put in your Marshall / inspired / clone amps today. One of these will be the sound you're looking for.

Probably set you back around $200-250 on eBay used, or ANOS (almost NOS).

They make a much bigger difference than power tubes, IMO.

Thanks Jim! The funny part of it is that I have a bugle boy, but don't know which tube it is. Got it years ago from Terry Kilgore and I have lost it. Its in with a bunch of tubes, but they are all unmarked. And the Bugle Boy is unmarked. I may try to do some searching to see if I can find which one it is. Otherwise, I may see if I can go through Terry again. Would you have Tube Tramps Email? Does he still sell tubes?

motrock

Post by motrock » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 am

Tazin wrote:I find that NOS GE, RCA, and old Tung-Sol 12AX7A are decent sounding valves, and are available throught many outlets. The EH 6CA7's that I have sound basically identical to the Sylvania 6CA7's that I also have. You just have to be careful not overload the plate & screen voltage(s) on the EH 6CA7's.
Ok, thanks! I will look in to that!

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:12 pm

I have Sylvania 12AV7WA in V1, a short plate Sylvanis in V2 and another long Sylvania in V3 on tube tramp's recommendation.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:03 pm

motrock wrote: Thanks Jim! The funny part of it is that I have a bugle boy, but don't know which tube it is. Got it years ago from Terry Kilgore and I have lost it. Its in with a bunch of tubes, but they are all unmarked. And the Bugle Boy is unmarked. I may try to do some searching to see if I can find which one it is. Otherwise, I may see if I can go through Terry again. Would you have Tube Tramps Email? Does he still sell tubes?
I got several tubes from him last December so I'd imagine he's still in the business. Shoot him an email and find out!

Terry Kilgore aka Tube Tramp
terry_kilgore2003@yahoo.com
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 am

Scumback Speakers wrote:
motrock wrote: Thanks Jim! The funny part of it is that I have a bugle boy, but don't know which tube it is. Got it years ago from Terry Kilgore and I have lost it. Its in with a bunch of tubes, but they are all unmarked. And the Bugle Boy is unmarked. I may try to do some searching to see if I can find which one it is. Otherwise, I may see if I can go through Terry again. Would you have Tube Tramps Email? Does he still sell tubes?
I got several tubes from him last December so I'd imagine he's still in the business. Shoot him an email and find out!

Terry Kilgore aka Tube Tramp
terry_kilgore2003@yahoo.com
Thanks Jim. I contracted him. He recommended a Brimar, Sylvania long plate, and a Jap Short Plate.