SOZO Out of Business???

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

white noise
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: SOZO Out of Business???

Post by white noise » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:28 am

RACKSYSTEMS wrote:Wouldn't count on that.
Oh crap..... :bang:
Looks like Dave knows something we don't.... :scratch:

Carbia
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Carbia » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:24 am

There're caps still available in Europe on Tube-town

MUGuy

Post by MUGuy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:06 pm

Yeah, but it is about $25.00 just for shipping to the US. Weber Amps also has some of the Sozos if you are in a hurry. In fact, I just got some .1 and .68 caps today from them in the mail. However, they are out of .022s.
"Oh, gnarly" --Jeff Spicoli

Brian Wallace
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Brian Wallace » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:51 pm

They are going to be sold through Antique Electronics.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/
Patience is a virtue.

Wallace amps

Wallace forum

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:13 pm

motrock wrote:In the next month I will have 2 whole sets of the NextGens to get rid of. I am yankin all of the Sozo out of my amp and putting in Mallorys. Mallorys sound way better and more in your face!

What do you like better about the Mallorys?
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

motrock

Post by motrock » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:27 pm

bmf5150 wrote:
motrock wrote:In the next month I will have 2 whole sets of the NextGens to get rid of. I am yankin all of the Sozo out of my amp and putting in Mallorys. Mallorys sound way better and more in your face!

What do you like better about the Mallorys?
I have not had any experience yet. Still getting my amp worked on. But what I will tell you is that the Sozo Next Gen sucks. I hate them. Sozo's after a year got all muddy and dark. My buddy puts in Mallorys and my amp comes alive. More in your face. Sozo has more of a low mid thing. They went flat after a while.

According to John Suhr the Mallory's are sound to him like the Mustards would have sounded brand new.. back in the day. And hey, its good enough for me.

coldengray

Post by coldengray » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:39 am

I just put a Mallory in my JTM45 to replace a leaky mustard...holy crap is it BRIGHT. So sterile I can't stand it. Definitely more "in your face"!

motrock

Post by motrock » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:55 am

coldengray wrote:I just put a Mallory in my JTM45 to replace a leaky mustard...holy crap is it BRIGHT. So sterile I can't stand it. Definitely more "in your face"!
Takes about a 100 hours to break in. It will loosen up and sound better. Gotta give it time.

coldengray

Post by coldengray » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Based on that info, I think I will leave it in for a while and see how it breaks in.

motrock

Post by motrock » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

coldengray wrote:Based on that info, I think I will leave it in for a while and see how it breaks in.
Yeah, just let em cook for a while. It will still be very much in your face. But it will loosen up. Over time it will continue to get better. They will settle in over time. One of my big complaints with the Sozo was that they started out awesome. But then after a year they turned to mud. They settled in too far. Became super dark and dull and not even close to having that in your face type of thing!

coldengray

Post by coldengray » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:59 pm

What could be a good idea is to flip the Mallory to the Normal channel and put the Mustard in the Bright channel...we shall see. I have some Jupiter caps here too.

motrock

Post by motrock » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:32 pm

coldengray wrote:What could be a good idea is to flip the Mallory to the Normal channel and put the Mustard in the Bright channel...we shall see. I have some Jupiter caps here too.
My friend is always telling me that swapping them in and out to find the right one is key. Maybe the Jupiter Cap will sound better? I would let the Mallory cook in there for a few days. Let the amp run for a couple of hours each day to get it broke in. Thats what my friend does on all of his amps. He has been known to let an amp run all day and night for at least 3 days straight! LOL More guts then me I guess!

coldengray

Post by coldengray » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:34 am

I put a Jupiter in and it sounded great, however I went back to the mustard. I'm troubleshooting a phantom noise and have eliminated the cap.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:49 am

Yeah the mustards i have in my amp where new at time of putting in,but are very warm..I can see why you would want brighter sounding amp ..I'm not sure if mustards over time even being new change tone wise
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:57 am

bmf5150 wrote:Yeah the mustards i have in my amp where new at time of putting in,but are very warm..I can see why you would want brighter sounding amp ..I'm not sure if mustards over time even being new change tone wise
Well I am unaware of new mustards? My understanding is that there are NOS Mustards; which means they have been sitting in a box unused for 40 years. Which means they have been exposed to oxygen and whatever for 40 years. I don't trust old electronics that have been drying out for 30-40 years. Tubes are another story... electronics like caps and resistors... nah! I don't trust them. Its old regardless of being used or not. I would rather buy something new that I know will be reliable.