Ed's Phase 90 help

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Robocop101985
Just the numbers in order: 7

Ed's Phase 90 help

Post by Robocop101985 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Guys,

I'm trying to achieve Ed's phase effect as heard in the eruption solo of '76 (I'm sure you all are familiar with this version of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr7nXIzwqJg

The phaser I'm using in the whirlwind orange box phaser, which the design is suppose to be the exact schematic of the original script. It was designed by Michael Laiacona, one of the co-founders of the original MXR pedals if my memory serves me right.

So to get to my point, I'm looking to get that deep mix of the phaser without any signal loss. If I put this effect in the FX loop in my Metro, I can get the heavy mix of the phaser like in the solo, only thing is I feel some loss of the highs and some volume cuts during certain points of the 'swooshing' aspect of the effect. I've tried placing my badgerplex behind and in front of the effect while in the loop, which does help with the signal loss but the heavy mix isn't there anymore and I prefer the badger in front of my amp for tonal reasons.

I was wondering if any of you guys had some insight on achieving this tone of the effect as heard in the clip. I know there is a lot of speculation on what mods Ed had done to his phaser but who knows whats true. I've heard a lot of people try certain things and have had mods done to their pedal and most agree the work that was done wasn't as good as it being stocked.

I'm contemplating on trying to use the Whirlwind Bomb boost pedal, which promises a clean boost, on the phaser in the loop but sort of hesitant due to already having that badgerplex pre-amp boost in front of the amp. Was thinking having too many boost effects would just destroy the current tone I've achieved.

I already have the setup from my guitar to the badgerplex into a GE-10 EQ (set to Ed's specs) into a Whirlwind Distortion + pedal with the output on 10 and the distortion on 0. (Everyone catch that theme yet? Whirlwind being a favorite of mine :lol: )

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks for your time.

Also a side topic...always wondered how Ed got the backwards horn effect for house of pain and running with the devil. I remember hearing he hooked it up to a car battery? Anyone know how he did that...just wondering out of curiosity... Thanks again! :hairband:

guitar007

Re: Ed's Phase 90 help

Post by guitar007 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:15 pm

I know you've likely heard this before but if you want Ed's early tone you have to use what he was using (and how he was using it) back in the day. It doesn't necessarily need to be vintage but close. Your Whirlwind is fine. You'll need a plexi style NMV amp and your effects out front...forget the effects loop. Speakers will play a big role so better have some 20 watt celestions (or copies) on hand. Finally, one of the most crucial elements is volume. You have to push your speakers. I have to run my plexi with everything on 10. Bedroom volumes won't work...not for that sound. Attenuators just get in the way of tone and response. The only thing I found that works to control volume is a variac. I've spent 25 years trying alternatives and been disappointed.

This is my opinion only and I hope this helps. Try it...then tell my I'm wrong. 8) Good luck! :toast:
~guitar007

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:47 pm

Absolutely. Also Ed basically had boost out the ying yang with pedals and Echoplex(s) which also had compression. Be curious to hear boosted, compressed pedals.
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:36 am

Don't know anything about the Whirlwind Phasers but if you're looking for those proper phasers, you can either spring for the original script or find some original PT-900's or PT-999's. I have one of each and they do it. These were made by Maxon and distributed by Maxon, Ibanez, Greco, Footworks and Pax. They are out there to be had for less than an original script. Other than that, as mentioned, you have to have ALL the other stuff lined out or the game is up. Just the way it is. :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robocop101985

Post by Robocop101985 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks for the all the input guys, I appreciate it.

I understand what you all are saying about the gear and all. The only thing that I don't have in my set up currently is the 20 watt celestions in the cab. I have two 25 watt scumbacks and two JBL clones. As Guitar007, I know the tone isn't going to be spot on unless your pushing those speakers and getting that "speaker distortion" as well. When Ed was introducing the 5150 III, in his interview talking about his early tone he mentioned that he would use that foam paneling that he saw in the studio and placed it in front of his cab to try to cut the volume down cause of how loud he was in clubs. So I know that everyone that's responding on this forum knows what they are talking about.

The thing about the phase 90 sound in that particular clip is how heavy the mix of the phase shifter is. I've heard other recordings during that time, some clips have that heavy mix in it and in other clips the phaser doesn't sound as pronounced in them. I know he wasn't using an FX loop but with my experience using that effect in the loop will give me that heavy mix of the effect, where as if I place it in front of the amp, it is more subtle and not as pronounced/heavy. I know there is a lot of talk when Ed was starting to slave his amps (thinking maybe that has something to do with how pronounced the effect is) but from what I've read, the general consensus is that during this time he wasn't, but again, there have been others that said he was slaving because of this picture and this setup and so on and so forth. But let's not go down the rabbit hole...

I'm generally just interested in getting that tone out of the phaser. Would anyone mind sharing a clip of them playing that has that tone with the phaser? It would be nice to compare it to my setup. I also would like to record myself playing with the phaser in front and a clip with the phaser in the loop just see how you guys think it matches up to that '76 solo sound. Again, thanks for all the help guys...it goes a long way.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Scumm 25 watters are good. Great choice. I use his 20 watt PVC's exclusively. Lots of options to play with the phase tone stuff. In front is the way to go IMO. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Hmmm...try placing an EQ before then after your phase 90 to help boost the effect. See if this works for you.
~guitar007

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:07 pm

Check out Analogman's offerings. I bought a Phase 90 from him that had a mix pot on the front to help dial in the strength of the phase you want.

Robocop101985

Post by Robocop101985 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Megaro wrote:Check out Analogman's offerings. I bought a Phase 90 from him that had a mix pot on the front to help dial in the strength of the phase you want.
You have any clips of your phaser at different degrees on the mix pot?

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Although Megaro if offering good advice...I'd like to reiterate my original sentiment...wanna sound like Ed...use what he used AND and how he used it.
~guitar007

jape88

Post by jape88 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Also adding to what guitar007 said, try using batteries not mains power or those power clips with the battery style connector. I actually notice things are 'less' pronounced when the battery gets old!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Just by a vintage "Bud" box MXR Phase 90 in front of the amp. It ain't rocket science and they are not that rare or that expensive.