A real 1200 series sound clip from the archives

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

plexified
Just the numbers in order: 13492

A real 1200 series sound clip from the archives

Post by plexified » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:56 am

I just blew my own mind finding a lost clip I posted here many years ago in the ww web . Here ya go a origional 12 series I still own with vintage G12m speakers direct with a sm58 and a simple alder strat body with a maple neck capped with an ebony board and a Duncan custom. close to ten but into sony sound forge with a bit of verb. Was struggling with the input and it was a total abort recording, but , I posted it back then to be real and here ya go.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=890505

axeman
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: A real 1200 series sound clip from the archives

Post by axeman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:53 pm

:P Excellent

Dunkmop

Post by Dunkmop » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:06 am

Love it Plexified!

Did you mean Custom Custom?

I bought a real early Ducan Custom with a blue square sticker on it. I fancy trying it in my LP,. but never have got round to fitting it. Got the Duncan Frakenstein in my RWB copy, but doesn't have quite enough bite for me.
Metroamp 12000
EVH 4X12 + Marshall 1960AX 6402
Gibson Les Paul
VH RWB Strat in Progress

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:02 am

That is such a great tone. Sounds so much like early VH, but it is also a classic tone and the reason we all love those amps. It is a treat to hear that amp sing after I have read many of your posts on the way to get there. Keep that amp dancing !

plexified

Post by plexified » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
I googled myself to find it , I thought it was gone, but yeah I made a mistake its a custom custom and the Duncan custom has more bite for sure an absolutely dynomite pick up. Is a snippet from a four minute cut that had the mike way out on the outer rib cause the volume was so hot into my DW. In the room alot more high end but the core is their.

funny story , my girlfriend at the time who was a guitar player also and a nasa engineer was wanting to write a few patches into her ADA preamp to get a plexi sound. So she came over and we had the pre amp on top of my Ampeg V4 halfstack which is a beautiful reverb monster . When I fired up the plexi to start she curled up in an upright fetal position and ran away from the volume. It was so funny , we did get a convincing patch assortment for her ADA but it was epic. When she realized it wasn't going to hurt the sound was very appealing despite your head was resonating :D

She was funny though, a great player , but what was funny in hindsight was that she was an adrenalyn junkie, we went kayaking in the Loxahachee river in Jupiter Florida one time in a two man thirteen footer where you sit on top of , and as we came to a bend in the river and got washed to the shore we had to push off with our oars and she pushed off the bank in front of a seven foot gator and didn't realize it , me either until I put my oar in front of its face. Wasn't happy , it peeled off the shore behind us! we both shit and worst of all got stuck a few yards ahead on a submerged stump. Fucking stuck in the middle of the river! We eventually rocked off but that gator was pure adrenalyn man. whew.

we launched in the intracoastal one time heading out of the Jupiter inlet one time and on the cusp of exiting into the ocean we had the sky go super dark and out of no where twelve foot sloshing took over the inlet and our kayak was bobbing up and down for a good twenty feet up and down. no water under the boat just the bow and stern , of course we capsized , but the boaters coming in from the ocean and storm out of no where stopped us having capsized and yanked us out cause they said the saw ten foot tiger sharks near by! I lost my favorite hat that day , but what an endless adrenalyn rush that chik was! :rockon:

jnew

Post by jnew » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:53 pm

That is one fantastic sound amp you got there. It has all the goods that the finest plexi amps offer. LOVE IT. Is this with your variac at around 110VAC? 8)

Love those Florida alligators. Grew up there as stupid teenagers and used to go out and catch them with our bare hands. 5 foot is about as big as I would go and even when you have them by the snout, they beat the snot out of you with their wicked tails. And if you're wrestling one in the water, their claws will tear up too. Stupid teenage adrenaline. :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plexified

Post by plexified » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:33 pm

Yeah I was paddling to NOT lose limbs fingers , girlfriend or future guitar riffs. Thats cool though J , I can envision it for sure , I see a camo guitar in your future, at least a strap or pickgaurd.
But that beast was at 110volts for sure.Even variaced down it still retained the core tone. A bit of volume reduction, maybe enough to keep a snotty singer at bay. Ten foot 12 gauge speaker cord and V2 was a 330 and the feedback resistor was 27k stock. I have had this thing modded to Kashmere and back and the core tone was always there. SO , I have alot of theories on this tone as you know and will find out down the road. Their is more to building a new amp or a clone then realized, I just got done figuring it all out. Some things just lay right in front of us in plain daylight. Most of which I have shared, but the builders I figured out corroborate the findings. They were not just playing with parts. Some brilliant minds left to come out from behind the scenes.

dnatronic

Post by dnatronic » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:47 am

Hey Plexified,

Great tone! It's interesting that your feedback resistor was 27k as I've heard that the feedback resistor is more commonly 47k or even 100k when Ed used 6CA7s. What are your thoughts on the 27k and how it affects your sound?

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:29 pm

That is SICK pfied!!!!! Wow! What tubes are in there? What's happening? Can you bottle that secret sauce? etc?
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

plexified

Post by plexified » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:50 am

Hey guys and gals ,
yeah that 27k is a stock spec. BUT , I have to say it does add alot of feedback which controls the way the bottom responds here and in theory it tells us it controls the cone more so less flub. But in contrast that bottom is like RGalpin says 'like prime rib' and its true , butter man.
I have had this amp all over the place and the constant is the power trans and the output trans. So your dealing with exactly that.
If I took the mic towards the cone , more high end and bite. But this was just an experiment to keep the feed low enought to capture , its just pure tone regardless of components within a stock spec. A larger resistor would make it louder and more insane sounding , and in doing so just backing off the volume would give the same tone.
Tubes, they are Sylvania 6ca7 and even with EL34's it sounds very similar. If it was too warm with 34's , I would put a JB in their and back to the same.
This amp platform has a core tone that is exactly VH. Be it any album. I've given all the goods already regarding why . Its the transformers and the 3D chassis theory. In fact the Power transformer can be as important if not more important than the output transformer would be the conclusion reading all my work here.
Lastly , the speakers make a difference. I told a story of the best amp I have ever heard. I wanted to buy it so I drove the seller to my house with the 69 Super Trem I wanted to buy , pure stock and when played through my cabs the seller re niged on the sale. On the best head EVER. Sucks to this day. But, thats another story.