Trying for the Balance tone with my plexi.

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Trying for the Balance tone with my plexi.

Post by jnew » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:17 pm

I don't have an Eventide harmonizer but I do have an old Chorus Ensemble pedal that does that digital sort of treble bite thing pretty good. And I did this on an old Orville Les Paul with PU's that only measure around 7.9K or so. So I used the old blue MXR just to barely thump it up to what a 14K ish PU might do. I think Ed used Soldano's on that album but this amp is my super authentic :lol: 68 100 watt plexi build with all the real deal goodies. Everything on 10 except VOL I. That's on 6. Amp running on variac at 80VAC and then the head going thru a 2nd variac, a la plexified's gift to me. (and a gift it is if you haven't tried it) The usual so so playing, at best, and some parts I haven't quite figured out yet but you get the idea. Oh, and the delay is in front of the amp. :hide:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=13428726

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garbeaj

Re: Trying for the Balance tone with my plexi.

Post by garbeaj » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:51 pm

I'm not a fan of any Van Halen after the 0U812 album and live shows, but that sounds good to me! The chorus sounds good, but I have noticed that the H3000 Micropitch algorithm on my H9 IS the Balance sound. No tweaking required. If you really like the Van Halen Harmonizer detune chorus sounds, especially the later periods, I highly recommend getting an H9. Sounds very good with just the chorus you are using, but if you want to get closer to the bone, Eventide H9 or Pitchfactor all the way!

jnew

Post by jnew » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:26 am

No, I'm not really going down this rabbit hole. It just kind of caught my ear when I was putzin around with it. There's a sort of Steel-ish, harder brightness thing that happens with digital effects, that account for how things ultimately sound even if not using the same gear. And digital recording too I suppose. It's was just interesting is all. I love all the genius in Ed regardless of what record or who sang but as far as my amp/s, up to and including Fair Warning is my cutoff. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:03 am

jnew wrote:No, I'm not really going down this rabbit hole. It just kind of caught my ear when I was putzin around with it. There's a sort of Steel-ish, harder brightness thing that happens with digital effects, that account for how things ultimately sound even if not using the same gear. And digital recording too I suppose. It's was just interesting is all. I love all the genius in Ed regardless of what record or who sang but as far as my amp/s, up to and including Fair Warning is my cutoff. 8)
Gotcha! We all have our favorites and Fair Warning is definitely one of mine.

I was screwing around with my H9 and vintage MXR Flanger the other day trying to get the sound on the little overdubbed lead toward the end of "So This Is Love?" and this is what I came up with:

This is the setting called "3OctaveRange" on the H9 and my flanger with the normal Van Halen settings. Definitely one of the instances where the sound of the Eventide is so strong that the instrument and amp are practically irrelevant...you could plug anything into this setting and it sounds the same. I might try messing around with the octave sounds from "Unchained" too.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:42 am

That's pretty cool for those little fillers. :thumbsup:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:27 pm

jnew wrote:That's pretty cool for those little fillers. :thumbsup:
Yep, Eddie and Donn were getting very creative on Fair Warning with little bits like this and all the Harmonizer goodies. Yet the core relatively dry tone is still dominant on the album as a whole. I think it's their best album!

plexified

Post by plexified » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:00 pm

Push comes shove ,
some punk goes underground , builds his own studio and re records all the guitar tracks at the late night slash early morning hours powered by wild turkey and marlboro red box , cocaine and sunkist rainbows.
J , it sounds good man , your playing big drums and bass and lil guitar game here. You can have a big guitar or a bit drum but you can;t really have both.
Despite goal nailed , I would suggest you take a digital challenge and go rig up a delay wit a milisecond control and walk it through. You got to remember you have wet and dry. Walk one milisecond up to say 20 and learn how you prefer the blend and sprinkle it with chorus. The Eventide d tue is the next step as its an auto sprinkle with unicorns and more rainbows. But Their is some tough 'Expletive' sounds when you find a good millisecond that thumps your cab , your skull and you blend in the dry with the wet. You find shovels and darkness with pick axes and fog and broken stuff.
Otherwise , Balance approved for this song ONLY.

plexified

Post by plexified » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:24 pm

What this leads to is an insane pallete of tones and the best way to get them to tape is after you mike your cab you send it to the processor either real time or after to process it. Its hard to just throw a rack mount in a loop or in front or after unless you process it first to get the best results. '

That is not to say you cannot do it or it won't sound killer . You can send a signal our from a source and get natural milimeters of lag time too and this is analog stuff , like the distance of a mike or the length of a chord. But it has to sound right to you and fit the narrative. Its usually organic/digital or robot. I can go robot all day and find crazy sounds , but I have to 'learn to use this shit' . OR I can plug into what I know and shape it accordingly. Use smart organic solutions and just see how the tape tell the story . If your not using tape your using ONES AND ZEROS , Be a HERO or HEROIESS and not a zero. Just a spoof , but its all reall good . check out my notes on the root frequency of 7.83 hertz . If your a musician it will blow your mind , if your a robot you'll complain its not in tune with your shit.
Plexified wins here . A good friend nails tone and he gets a backstrapp 'expletive' to take it WWW and you get amused with my endless info , just ask man we can get great music again if we work together . JNEW first album is due in a few. I can't wait , I pre paid my way into this treasure trove and here we go working out tone nuances. J let me know when you need the plexi and the arsenal. I must comply for the future of music endeavors. We need more plexis and enthusiasts to just put it out their , for us they may not bite but they will cling. Hear that tone once and you wanna know how to get it . Ralle , RGalpin, and on and on . For now Balance is bettered and humanity lives to grind another day. ........... ............ ........ ............. .......... ..............Scotty

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:10 am

Love your post's. Electric guitars need plexi's. That's all there is to it. 8)