How many have tried the Plaap/****** speq?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

harddriver

Re: How many have tried the Plaap/****** speq?

Post by harddriver » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:36 pm

I looked back on some older posts from 2007 and Ralle was using Plaap specs then but I swear he had them in like 2004-2005 when he first started posting clips. I remember a layout drawing from then too, I looked for it in my archives and couldn't find it.

I think Ralle was referring to the Pat Badger revelation about Ed supposedly using a Marshall PA as the power amp on VH1 and there is a pic of Badger next 12301 a Marshall PA amp and a 5150 cabinet circa early 90's on the net as was posted here. Now that's the first time I've seen reference to a Marshall PA amp, never saw a PA in one pic from the 78/79 tours so who knows.

I guess the main conclusion is that he cranked the ACV down so low on his main amps he needed to reamp them live either with straight up Superleads, Superbasses(or Jose modded as power amps ala VH2 as Robin claimed), Musicmans or a Marshall PA amp maybe a bassman. I think he changed thing around quite often as he never seemed to be really happy with his tone according to his interviews. :stars:

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by mightymike » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:44 pm

I remember Ralle's original spec back in 2004. I made a gif that went from Ralle Spec, M e rr en Spec, to stock 67. I remember he had the 4- 100uf on the filter board, and the later presence circuit with .68uf, 330uf/.68uf, split cathode, .330uf on v2.. , .1uf output couplers

When it shows all 100uf on the filter board, freeze the animation. That is Ralle spec circa 2004/2005

http://www.mediafire.com/view/i4z59v958 ... mation.gif

plexified

Post by plexified » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:46 am

Hey gang,
as this all sounds so killer, would it be out of line to admit Ed was not out of bounds by saying it was a stock spec head? cause these variances , although quite the variety are all within a stock head spec?
As I mentioned I used these specs too and they kill. My PI was a .022 in the end as opposed to a .1 I had tried as well. The main thing to note with my stock 12 series was that it remained VERY consistant in terms of tone. Maybe the newer builds would be more responsive to the variants. Mine was always in the zone with all the variants. It did kind of blow me away. Being my application was original small power trans and original small OT . My only variant was a small 27k presence resistor on the neg tap.
To be clear , the 330/1.1k on VI and VII with a original 25 watt single cab at 110v and Sylvania 6cA7 tubes was spot on. Twin 100 power dual 32 and dual 16 pre. 27k presence on the neg and .022 on the PI. 47 pie ceramic cap and boom. Does not matter if I drop it on the variac lower like 80 or 90. It tells me that the PT spec and OT spec are very dominant. And this head has had a wide range of all of the above inserted and it all sounds TOTALLY in the zone.
This being said , in a new build , pay attention to the 'range' of tweaking to at least know you are in the zone and these specs need to be tweaked to your liking. I think when you go to the next level like with a re amp or even using the variac in your output speaker loop that these are tools that sound fantastic and are definitely a part of the sound. I think its safe to say we have decoded that they were used and are tools. The re amp is to get more volume and damn it adds more character for sure. And to just use the variac in the speaker loop does give you the chance to turn it down AND get more character.
This is ground breaking stuff and be sure to acknowledge it on its own merit , because Ralle is showing his tone is always killer at every step of the way and these ranges are totally relevant. I think back to Rgalpin and his same re amp and tweaking and its the same killer tone and playing! I say win , win , win , we have the best tones as a result of everyone here just singing and killing it like we could not have imagined. Jnew and Strat78 and Tx and VHjunkie and on and on , you guys are killing it man! We have to celebrate such a vast achievement of tone and knowledge and don't forget twisty! WOW gents , WOW! Thanks for all of it , it totally ROCKS!

jnew

Post by jnew » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm always enthused to think about all that has happened here over the last decade. And being part of it has been a ride I would never have thought of myself involved with, to this extent. An awesome, unexpected gift.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;