Walden re-cones

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Classic 59
Just the numbers in order: 7

Walden re-cones

Post by Classic 59 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:18 pm

What exactly were the Walden re-cones? I have been reading about EVH using them in his early cabs. Thank you very much for your time.

jape88
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Walden re-cones

Post by jape88 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:05 am

Have you any links to where you read about this? EVH's speakers are a bit of a grey area as to what he actually used in all those cabs in the club days and first albums. We all know about the jbl/greenback mix cab but the finer details of the speakers?... maybe the two jbls were Walden recones and not the original 21032 cone?
I've never seen Waldens on greenbacks myself but they were common on jbl/altec?

Out of the 9/10 cabs present in the VH2 studio pics there are more mid 70's cabs than older metal handles so I think his overall set up was a mix of various green/black/grey/creambacks! and various cones to boot. Then there's the, 'he use old 20w greens recording only' and some guy stated that Ed used 30's in some cabs and I've even read he use very early prototype 65's! ... as with most things ED it's a complete guess :(

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm

I believe it's Waldom, and they made some economy recone kits years ago. Not sure if they're still in business, but their cones were kind of bright in the ones I heard.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:54 pm

There's also a rumor that by Fair Warning, V-30 prototypes were in the mix on that album. This is definitely one area we'll probably NEVER know. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;