Variac questions

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

jnew
Senior Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Front Row Seat From the Outer Continental Shelf

Re: Variac questions

Post by jnew » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:49 pm

:lol:
Last edited by jnew on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
________________________________
I SEE THINGS BETTER, WHEN I LISTEN


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jnew
Senior Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Front Row Seat From the Outer Continental Shelf

Re: Variac questions

Post by jnew » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:08 pm

:shred:
Last edited by jnew on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
________________________________
I SEE THINGS BETTER, WHEN I LISTEN


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jnew
Senior Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Front Row Seat From the Outer Continental Shelf

Re: Variac questions

Post by jnew » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:00 am

:rockon:
Last edited by jnew on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
________________________________
I SEE THINGS BETTER, WHEN I LISTEN


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

charles anthony
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:22 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Variac questions

Post by charles anthony » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:26 pm

I used to look forward to my infrequent visits. The few questions I asked were answered generously and greatfully. I am a novice computer user and was glad to locate this forum. I purchased and built a 45 kit thanks to the help and encouragement here. After I learned a lesson in expensive amp buying........ a Peacemaker. I never figured out who is who and am sad to see this place get so lonely. I do not know where else to go. I am only responding because this shit is pathetic . Someone post some clips please. I only own guitars and amps. No recording equipment. Help a brother out , some inspiration is welcome.
:shred:
I am going to play, way to loud , after a way too long day at work on a Sunday, and hopefully piss off my dick neighbors.
Be well

jnew
Senior Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Front Row Seat From the Outer Continental Shelf

Re: Variac questions

Post by jnew » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:55 am

charles anthony wrote:I used to look forward to my infrequent visits. The few questions I asked were answered generously and greatfully. I am a novice computer user and was glad to locate this forum. I purchased and built a 45 kit thanks to the help and encouragement here. After I learned a lesson in expensive amp buying........ a Peacemaker. I never figured out who is who and am sad to see this place get so lonely. I do not know where else to go. I am only responding because this shit is pathetic . Someone post some clips please. I only own guitars and amps. No recording equipment. Help a brother out , some inspiration is welcome.
:shred:
I am going to play, way to loud , after a way too long day at work on a Sunday, and hopefully piss off my dick neighbors.
Be well
That's the spirit. And as far as recording, all you need is a mic and an interface. There are free software programs for your computer. You can make clips and share for little $. :thumbsup:
________________________________
I SEE THINGS BETTER, WHEN I LISTEN


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnnybgoood
Senior Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Variac questions

Post by johnnybgoood » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Back on topic. I have played for over seven years with a variac connected to the mains of my amps. I have had no issues and I have played mostly with the voltage hovering around 70 volts. I also haven't messed with constant rebiasing. Tubes were biased at 70% plate dissipation and have been there ever since. If there are issues playing with a variac, I haven't experienced them.

I've read RCA's report on the acute reduction of tube life due to starved heaters. I'm here to testify that my EH and JJ tubes are close to a decade old and are still going strong.

jnew
Senior Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Front Row Seat From the Outer Continental Shelf

Re: Variac questions

Post by jnew » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:56 pm

johnnybgoood wrote:Back on topic. I have played for over seven years with a variac connected to the mains of my amps. I have had no issues and I have played mostly with the voltage hovering around 70 volts. I also haven't messed with constant rebiasing. Tubes were biased at 70% plate dissipation and have been there ever since. If there are issues playing with a variac, I haven't experienced them.

I've read RCA's report on the acute reduction of tube life due to starved heaters. I'm here to testify that my EH and JJ tubes are close to a decade old and are still going strong.
+1. 10 years on my first 50 watt build and the same tubes still testing strong. I variac it back up to 110 or 115 every so often just to set the bias again and dial back down to desired volume. No issues. My first 100 watt build had George's dual B+ PT. In my opinion, it has a function and makes a difference. And a nice difference for sure. Does it sound the same? It does not. And it definitely doesn't feel and respond the same. I confirmed this by selecting the 460V tap and running it down to 400V's on the plates using a variac. I don't remember where the heater voltages ended up but it was well below 6.3Vs. Bias of course goes colder and I left it that way. Then I plugged it into the wall and selected the 400V plate option. This left the heater voltages alone and I made sure the bias was at 70%. I did this to determine whether or not to keep that PT, or sell it and get a straight up 460V PT from Chris as my mind was made up to go full vintage spec rebuild. I chose the variac route. In addition to the sound and feel benefit, it also made the amp a little more decibel friendly this way. The suggestion here is that there are lots of combinations to tune an amp in respect to plate voltages, heater voltages and bias with absolutely no right or wrong about it. Comes down to the individual to decide their own sweet spot.
________________________________
I SEE THINGS BETTER, WHEN I LISTEN


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnnybgoood
Senior Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Variac questions

Post by johnnybgoood » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:20 pm

charles anthony wrote:Someone post some clips please... Help a brother out , some inspiration is welcome...I am going to play, way to loud , after a way too long day at work on a Sunday..
Be well
Here's a clip brother I uploaded now. Just placed a SM57 in front of a 1x12 cab (Creamback) straight on cap. Amp/Slave amp setup. I doubt if the loudness is over 1 watt. Dry signal on left.
You Be Well Too!
http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/play ... 08724&q=hi

jnew
Senior Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Front Row Seat From the Outer Continental Shelf

Re: Variac questions

Post by jnew » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:43 pm

johnnybgoood wrote:
charles anthony wrote:Someone post some clips please... Help a brother out , some inspiration is welcome...I am going to play, way to loud , after a way too long day at work on a Sunday..
Be well
Here's a clip brother I uploaded now. Just placed a SM57 in front of a 1x12 cab (Creamback) straight on cap. Amp/Slave amp setup. I doubt if the loudness is over 1 watt. Dry signal on left.
You Be Well Too!
http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/play ... 08724&q=hi
:thumbsup: Lots of sustain going on. Just going take a guess here. That Creamback is an H magnet type.
________________________________
I SEE THINGS BETTER, WHEN I LISTEN


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
mightymike
Senior Member
Posts: 3754
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:53 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Contact:

Re: Variac questions

Post by mightymike » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:33 pm

jnew wrote:
johnnybgoood wrote:Back on topic. I have played for over seven years with a variac connected to the mains of my amps. I have had no issues and I have played mostly with the voltage hovering around 70 volts. I also haven't messed with constant rebiasing. Tubes were biased at 70% plate dissipation and have been there ever since. If there are issues playing with a variac, I haven't experienced them.

I've read RCA's report on the acute reduction of tube life due to starved heaters. I'm here to testify that my EH and JJ tubes are close to a decade old and are still going strong.
+1. 10 years on my first 50 watt build and the same tubes still testing strong. I variac it back up to 110 or 115 every so often just to set the bias again and dial back down to desired volume. No issues. My first 100 watt build had George's dual B+ PT. In my opinion, it has a function and makes a difference. And a nice difference for sure. Does it sound the same? It does not. And it definitely doesn't feel and respond the same. I confirmed this by selecting the 460V tap and running it down to 400V's on the plates using a variac. I don't remember where the heater voltages ended up but it was well below 6.3Vs. Bias of course goes colder and I left it that way. Then I plugged it into the wall and selected the 400V plate option. This left the heater voltages alone and I made sure the bias was at 70%. I did this to determine whether or not to keep that PT, or sell it and get a straight up 460V PT from Chris as my mind was made up to go full vintage spec rebuild. I chose the variac route. In addition to the sound and feel benefit, it also made the amp a little more decibel friendly this way. The suggestion here is that there are lots of combinations to tune an amp in respect to plate voltages, heater voltages and bias with absolutely no right or wrong about it. Comes down to the individual to decide their own sweet spot.
That pretty much sums up my results as well, but I still have 2 of my builds with the dual tap and virtual variac switch.

As far as the OP asking about using the Variac on higher European or U.K. voltage, 140 would be maxed out on the typical variac, and as low as I would want to go with that higher voltage amp. Not much to play with in that setup. If I was going to go that route, I would want a higher rated Variac so that you could dial in the sweet spot because you might not like it that low.

my .02

johnnybgoood
Senior Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Variac questions

Post by johnnybgoood » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:59 pm

jnew wrote: Just going take a guess here. That Creamback is an H magnet type.
The speaker is the M-65 type. Not the Heavy magnet H version.

jnew
Senior Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Front Row Seat From the Outer Continental Shelf

Re: Variac questions

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 pm

DOH! :bang: :lol:
________________________________
I SEE THINGS BETTER, WHEN I LISTEN


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply