'Hazard Phaser' does Eruption

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Bainzy
Just the numbers in order: 7

'Hazard Phaser' does Eruption

Post by Bainzy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Thought I'd post a clip of the phaser pedal that's been discussed in the off topic room.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=3492820

The playings rushed and sloppy as I'm too busy to learn the solo properly tonight but hopefully should illustrate the tone of the phaser pedal a bit. I'm not going to bother recording something like Eruption properly until I've got power scaling in my amp, then I'll be able to get some power amp distortion too that'll accurately cop the tone.

The guitar is my VHII equipped custom guitar, into the 'hazard phaser', into the Marshall plexi, everything on 10 except the PPIMV (on 3).

Then it's Greenback G12M reissue speakers > SM57 > preamp > DAW > bit of reverb, delay and home studio magic!
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:40 pm

go bainzy go! :D
sounds good man ;)
Mark

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:48 pm

cheers Mark :D

I hate trying to play other peoples songs/solos though, which is why I end up rushing them or doing them inaccurately as I can't concentrate on it, it's not interesting to me as a player. I'll get some cooler random solo soundclips once I've got some power amp distortion, that are more in my style of playing.

Shred Guitar

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:54 pm

Bainzy wrote:cheers Mark :D

I hate trying to play other peoples songs/solos though, which is why I end up rushing them or doing them inaccurately as I can't concentrate on it, it's not interesting to me as a player. I'll get some cooler random solo soundclips once I've got some power amp distortion, that are more in my style of playing.
i hear ya there bainzy - remember ( i figure you know this) one of the best ways to learn is to emulate - gets you inside that persons playing. and this way you can take the elements of your fav players and make them your own rather than just playing their riffs ;)

Mark

JasonC

Post by JasonC » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:03 pm

Cool Man, nice job!

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:03 pm

Yeah good point Mark. Sometimes I worry though if I try do that too much, I'll end up sounding like a clone of other players and not like 'me'. I'm at the stage where I'm really trying to find my own voicing and style, it's tough but it seems to be working. I'm not at the stage where I play other people's stuff and make it sound like my own, but if I'm playing something I write, you can tell it's me playing and it sounds cool instead of sloppy.

Shred Guitar

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:13 pm

Bainzy wrote:Yeah good point Mark. Sometimes I worry though if I try do that too much, I'll end up sounding like a clone of other players and not like 'me'. I'm at the stage where I'm really trying to find my own voicing and style, it's tough but it seems to be working. I'm not at the stage where I play other people's stuff and make it sound like my own, but if I'm playing something I write, you can tell it's me playing and it sounds cool instead of sloppy.
i hear ya and i think thats a common fear amoungst younger players commin up. i think if you have your heart in it you will sound like you no matter what you do. emulation is the mere stretching out on your technical and musical abilities. eddy did this good, his fav player by his own admition was clapton, his inspiration growing up and he could play most clapton note for note! but ya know what? i dont hear any clapton in his playing. ;)

(i know there have been interviews with ed saying playing in cover bands he never really did play it note for note - but not to mistake this information, he still did spend time emulating to the best of his ability that is ;) )

important to soak in as much music as possible with both playing and listening to it.
Mark

BrownSound1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by BrownSound1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:23 pm

What's funny for me is that I started with EVH, and worked backwards to Clapton, Hendrix, Page, etc. I thought it was important to learn how rock guitar playing evolved to the point that we got an EVH. I never got into Vai and Malmsteen or anyone like that..which is totally different from most guys in my age bracket. I still love early Eddie as much as anything, but if the truth be known I play more like Jimmy Page. Page and Zeppelin really took hold of me musically. I guess that ain't too bad either. LOL
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:46 pm

Good Job Brainzy.
How much did that pedal cost, and is it everything thing you hoped it would be? How would you compare it to the EVH Phaser they sell at Musician Enemy.

BrownSound1

Post by BrownSound1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:20 am

Sounds pretty good Bainzy. I would like to hear that phaser with a lot less reverb, just to hear the little things going on with it.
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:21 am

Ok Bainzy, you just found yourself a new part time job--building Phasers!

Get busy!

Allen

ps--sounds great

texwest

Post by texwest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:13 pm

rockstah wrote:
Bainzy wrote:Yeah good point Mark. Sometimes I worry though if I try do that too much, I'll end up sounding like a clone of other players and not like 'me'. I'm at the stage where I'm really trying to find my own voicing and style, it's tough but it seems to be working. I'm not at the stage where I play other people's stuff and make it sound like my own, but if I'm playing something I write, you can tell it's me playing and it sounds cool instead of sloppy.
i hear ya and i think thats a common fear amoungst younger players commin up. i think if you have your heart in it you will sound like you no matter what you do. emulation is the mere stretching out on your technical and musical abilities. eddy did this good, his fav player by his own admition was clapton, his inspiration growing up and he could play most clapton note for note! but ya know what? i dont hear any clapton in his playing. ;)

(i know there have been interviews with ed saying playing in cover bands he never really did play it note for note - but not to mistake this information, he still did spend time emulating to the best of his ability that is ;) )

important to soak in as much music as possible with both playing and listening to it.
Mark

Mark I agree with this wholeheartedly. If you love a certain solo, learn it note for note, nuance for nuance. Eventually it will be your own and you can use it in your own individual way. Learning from influence and then doing your own thing is the key. John McLaughlin once said to learn as much as you can and then throw it away.

Wes
"'CAUSE IN THE EYES OF GOD
YOU'RE BOTH CHILDREN TO HIM"--Hendrix

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:28 pm

texwest wrote:
rockstah wrote:

Mark

Mark I agree with this wholeheartedly. If you love a certain solo, learn it note for note, nuance for nuance. Eventually it will be your own and you can use it in your own individual way. Learning from influence and then doing your own thing is the key. John McLaughlin once said to learn as much as you can and then throw it away.

Wes
Wes,
i hear ya! it makes sense if we have a screw driver and a hammer we could build a a decent shack in the backyard. but if we had a crew with dump trucks and materials etc.we coiuld build sky scrapers - i look at learning music as that - gaining all the tools i can i get to build whatever i want!

your commnet about John Mclaughlin reminds of when i attented GIT ( many years ago) and sitting with Joe Pass one day... after i had been hammering him with questions he leaned over and said we spend all this time learning all these patterns and all this theory and all these songs to hopefully one day forget it all and just have music poor out of us just as easily as we speak. good times ;)
Mark