mixer / computer / recording

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

dazzlindino
Just the numbers in order: 7

mixer / computer / recording

Post by dazzlindino » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:59 am

Have a mackie 1642 vlz pro mixer. What would i need to interface with a computer for live recording. Or would it be better to just get a firewire style intrface?
Thanks
I want my music waking up the dead...
Dont tell me to turn it down

if its not loud enough you must be really old...huh,what,what did you play?

Jon W

Re: mixer / computer / recording

Post by Jon W » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:27 pm

I'm using a Presonus FP10 with Reaper. It is easy and with Apple, you don't even need to download drivers to get it to all work. With my PC system I did. I can run at about 2ms latency without glitches and pops. The Firepods are FP10 and are firewire which is "suppose" to better than USB.

There is a good thread here on optimizing your computer to run more efficiently.

With your makie, you cad take a line out of each channel or out of the sub groups into the fp10 (or what ever interface you like) and from that into the DAW. That way you get the preamps but not the eq (if your taking the line-outs on each channel) and ep if your running out of the sub-groups. The mackies are suppose to have great preamps. Howver the presonus has great preamps as well.

I suse an old yamaha 2404 console because the preamps are so warm and the console can be had for $200 with a road case. It just takes up about a half an acre of realestate. :roll:

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:49 pm

dazzlindino wrote:Have a mackie 1642 vlz pro mixer. What would i need to interface with a computer for live recording. Or would it be better to just get a firewire style intrface?
Thanks
You can find out for about $10. Head down to Radio Shack or your local equivalent.
Buy a "Y" cable that has two RCA (left and right) on one end and a stereo 1/8" plug
on the other. Hook the RCA's up to the Mackie (you'll find RCA connectors marked
"Tape Out" and "Tape In," connect them to the "Tape Out" terminals), and plug the
1/8" stereo plug into your computer sound card's "line in" jack. Most sound cards,
even those of poor quality, have both "line in" and "microphone" jacks. Be sure to
use "line in." You can control the level of what is sent to the computer by the
"Main Mix" fader on the Mackie.

This will let you record what is going through the Mackie in two channel stereo. You
have to make sure that you have all of your adjustments done on the mixing board
before recording.

If you mean interface 'as in' data is sent to the computer from the mixer as well
as from the computer back to the mixer, you'll need to spend more money. Technically
you could get another Y cable and send it from the soundcard out to the mixer's
"Tape In" terminals. It depends what you want to do.

BUT - for the cost of a $10 y-cable you can decide if this is good enough for you at
the moment or not. Play around with this setup and see if you like it. The good news
is that these $10 y-cables come in handy elsewhere down the line, too, so if you aren't
impressed, it's not exactly burned money.

Personally I intensely dislike the Presonus range. IMO, YMMV, ETC ETC

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:39 pm

Depends what you want to do. Stereo recording? Separate instruments? I use a 1202VLZ in my home set up and since I primarily don't record more than mono/stereo at a time, I'd use the alt outs on the back. Not sure of the 1642 is set up the same but on the 1202, muting a channel sends the signal through these alt outputs. Hook up those outputs to two inputs of an audio interface (Firewire or PCI) and you're good to go. For me, the 1202, as old as it is, started flaking out with regards to this circuitry so now I just use the channel direct outs (plug in the outputs part way)...it's all in the manual. The tape in/tape out mentioned above is the path of least resistance if you just want a no-nonsense stereo recording.

If you're not planning on sub-mixing to a stereo mix and want to separate each instrument to a separate track in the DAW, you're going to need enough direct outs on the mixer and inputs on the audio interface. Depending on budget, there will more than likely have to be some compromises. An RME Fireface 800 and laptop would make for a good live recording rig. The MOTU stuff if you want to go a little cheaper. The midrange gear can be lacking in the i/o area and converter quality.

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:06 pm

cool replies. What I am trying to do is record a full band into a computer recording program. Board has 8 direct outs with 4 aux sends.
So is there something out there that takes the board out signals / which would be the same as direct mike signals (right?) and goes into the compuer multi track not just stereo. Or would a firewire interface be better and not even use a mixing board.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:29 pm

To record the band on separate tracks you will need an interface. Likely something with minimum 8 channels.

There are lots of FW devices to choose from. Your choice of Mac/PC and software preference may dictate which interface will serve you best.

Maybe look for a used RME Multiface. They are very good, 8 ch in and out, with great drivers for Mac or PC. I used one (and still have it) for years. No mic preamps on these though. You would still use your Mackie.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:43 am

Thanks again for helping out...RMEs or a new Metro hmmm....
Dang even used ones are close to a grand....I am sure they are worth it...
:D

motorhead_6

Post by motorhead_6 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:34 am

If you want to record multi-track (24 track) you need a Mackie 24 x 8 studio console or larger. The pre-amps in it are not the very best you can possibly get but they will work without pretty well without adding mic pre-amps. If you were after the very best sound quality possible you would want to get some good tube pre-amps but the built in ones are pretty good.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:23 pm

why do you dislike the presonus range ?
i have a presonus firepod since .. many years, 10 inputs an outputs, firewire, two preamps, midi in out, phantom alimentation, jack/xlr input combos. well, i didn't compare, because i can't afford top soundcards but , i just wonder why it's not good enough for you. and how good is it compared to the rme multiface that georges is talking about ?
for now, it did the job very well, always working , nothing to adjust, very low latency.
thanks

thousandshirts wrote:
dazzlindino wrote:Have a mackie 1642 vlz pro mixer. What would i need to interface with a computer for live recording. Or would it be better to just get a firewire style intrface?
Thanks
You can find out for about $10. Head down to Radio Shack or your local equivalent.
Buy a "Y" cable that has two RCA (left and right) on one end and a stereo 1/8" plug
on the other. Hook the RCA's up to the Mackie (you'll find RCA connectors marked
"Tape Out" and "Tape In," connect them to the "Tape Out" terminals), and plug the
1/8" stereo plug into your computer sound card's "line in" jack. Most sound cards,
even those of poor quality, have both "line in" and "microphone" jacks. Be sure to
use "line in." You can control the level of what is sent to the computer by the
"Main Mix" fader on the Mackie.

This will let you record what is going through the Mackie in two channel stereo. You
have to make sure that you have all of your adjustments done on the mixing board
before recording.

If you mean interface 'as in' data is sent to the computer from the mixer as well
as from the computer back to the mixer, you'll need to spend more money. Technically
you could get another Y cable and send it from the soundcard out to the mixer's
"Tape In" terminals. It depends what you want to do.

BUT - for the cost of a $10 y-cable you can decide if this is good enough for you at
the moment or not. Play around with this setup and see if you like it. The good news
is that these $10 y-cables come in handy elsewhere down the line, too, so if you aren't
impressed, it's not exactly burned money.

Personally I intensely dislike the Presonus range. IMO, YMMV, ETC ETC