Anybody use SONAR 8?

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

zrAC/DC
Just the numbers in order: 7

Anybody use SONAR 8?

Post by zrAC/DC » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:07 pm

I just recently acquired Cakewalk SONAR 8 and I have a few questions.

Is it possible to do a simultaneous multi-track recording?

What interface is best recommended? (I am on a bit of a budget on this one)

I am also building a new computer based on an Intel Core i7 processor and any recommendations for sound cards would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Zach
~~Current Amps~~
1.) JTM45

--------Terawatt--------
http://www.reverbnation.com/terawatt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/terawatts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flames1950

Re: Anybody use SONAR 8?

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:34 pm

You can record multiple tracks at once, if that's what you meant -- I have Sonar 6 and usually run each microphone on a guitar cab to its own track to blend as I see fit.
Whatever you use for a recording interface, make sure it handles the monitoring/speakers in a way that you like -- I have nothing but glitch problems when I try to run a sound card and an interface both with Sonar, they just never play nice together. Currently I'm using an Edirol FA-101 (? I think that's the model number) which has a monitor out -- so I get no glitches as long as my laptop's onboard sound is disabled and all networking is also disabled (wireless and wired both!!!) A separate recording hardware profile is essential to shut down all the extra hardware you don't need when recording.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:36 pm

I got the Edirol new for under $300 by the way -- not sure what the budget is for your project.......my only complaint is the lack of software input monitoring, a little trial and error with test tracks is needed to make sure there's no clipping.

zrAC/DC
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by zrAC/DC » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Yes the multiple tracks at once is exactly what I want. I am looking for something around 12 channel recording at once, but 8 will do just fine. I want to record my band in the studio and usually do "live" recording sessions as to me generally sounds closer to what my band actually sounds like.

Maybe I was misinformed about the soundcard, so if I have a USB 2.0 or firewire interface I can monitor directly with that and therefore do not need to spend money on an extra sound card?
~~Current Amps~~
1.) JTM45

--------Terawatt--------
http://www.reverbnation.com/terawatt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/terawatts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:47 pm

It may depend on the interface, but I think a lot of them do have a monitor/headphone output anymore. It was part of the reason I went with the Edirol, as well as up to ten simultaneous inputs (ten simultaneous outs as well) although two ins and two outs are optical which I don't really have a use for.......

I'd been fighting with the combination of an interface for the inputs and a sound card for the outputs for too long though. At best I got rhythmic bursts of static, at worst both playback and mixdown were unusable digital distortion nightmares -- and all the buffer and hardware settings I could find to try weren't helping.