Questions about used mics mics???

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

bdc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Questions about used mics mics???

Post by bdc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:07 am

I've been considering buying some used condenser mics, as well as a Shure SM7b........off e-bay likely....
The mics I'm looking at range from 100-400$....nothing real high dollar-(Audio-Technica AT4040/AKG perception 420)
I just wonder if people refurbish mics with lesser quality parts than what is original.......
Does this practice exist in this price range?
If so is it common?
Am I just being a bit paranoid?
Thanks for any advice here......

I'm considering just buying new, to make sure I get the proper product. The SM7b I see priced reasonably used, and a little pricey for me brand new..... Is there much risk buying one off an E-bay seller with a solid feedback record.....?

Are there any other factors I should be considering here, wear and tear wise or otherwise, regarding used vs new......?

bill bokey
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Questions about used mics mics???

Post by bill bokey » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:19 am

I think it depends on the mic you're looking at buying. A used SM7b should be fine, they're pretty solid and fairly recent. But if you want to buy a vintage Beyer M160 (and you should, it's a brilliant mic !) you ought to try it first, I've heard about a dozen and only one sounded really good.

bdc

Post by bdc » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:59 pm

bill bokey wrote:I think it depends on the mic you're looking at buying. A used SM7b should be fine, they're pretty solid and fairly recent. But if you want to buy a vintage Beyer M160 (and you should, it's a brilliant mic !) you ought to try it first, I've heard about a dozen and only one sounded really good.
What about the newer type condenser mics?

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:09 am

just be careful with the SM57s, there are fakes out there. Usually, local music stores can cut you a deal on a new SM57...I got mine for $75.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:33 pm

I would stick with a 57 and perhaps get 2 because you can play around with different mic techniques, like using one between the speaker's dust cab and cone and use another one off axis. You can also find lower priced ribbon mics that sound quite good and also blending it with a 57 gives you can get really nice tones plus you'll have more options when you're mixing.

The SM7b it's a great mic for guitar, but it's also great for recording Metal singers who like to scream or just regular rock singers.
Suhr PT100SE ,Metro/Friedman 68' Plexi, ,Friedman BE100,EVH 5150iiiS,Fender Vibrolux 68'/Alessandro,VoxAC30,Kemper

rockdude1

Post by rockdude1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi :). Just my 2 cents. An Sm7 would be a good starting point mic. James Hetfield I saw was using one on vocals in the studio on a video. I think when it comes to used mics, it depends on the type when considering buying used. Dynamic mics such as sm57's can take abit of abuse, some condensers can not. You have to question more than anything the possibilities of what a mic has been through, how it was used, and stored. You wouldn't want to buy a mic that was uncared for, where some guy was blowing smoke in it lol jk :). One of my jobs is selling on Ebay, you'll be fine buying there as long as you buy from a seller with 100% feedback. If you buy from someone who commonly sells audio gear, look at their feedback before you consider purchasing. I see your concern as well, and I'd check out some gut shots if your fear is some original parts being replaced. Sometimes the people who sell them are not tech savy at all, and they wouldn't know stock from not stock.

I could see a problem being this:You could be getting a mic that has had several owners, you won't know how the mic has been used or stored. Some people say they keep stuff in smoke free, and pet free environments but that's not always true. A problem would be the seller doesn't know the history of the mic, so if he sells it untested in the present time, and sells on the grounds it worked fine last time he used it 10 years ago, that can be a problem, cause if the seller hasn't tested the mic, what worked 10 years ago will arrive not working. Some people don't like audio technica stuff, but personally I do. But I've not used all their mics only a few over the years, and not familiar with the at mics you mentioned. If your looking for a dynamic mic consider an Audix i5, same price range as sm57s, you will hear the mids that are like an sm57, but with more depth in the low end. Or you could get both an sm57, and audix i5. Sm57's are the go to mic, but some people like the audix I5 more. A personal preference though. I would check out the mics in person. I think when it comes to audio gear regardless of how much an item cost you should check out the item in person. It will save the time, and frustration of doing a return, and ship back dance should the problems I mention above arise. Hope this is helpful :) :rockon: