I'm moving to Nuendo from Logic

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

I'm moving to Nuendo from Logic

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:58 pm

I've been stuck at version 5.5 of Logic ever since Apple bought them and stopped updating for Windose. I got away from recording for a while, but now I'm into it again.

I've been looking for DAW software that lets me work like a board and tape machine. Also let's me edit multitrack drums and buss anything anywhere.
I looked at every sequencer software while at NAMM. I gotta admit, I would almost buy a MAC to use Logic 7. But I don't have the cash, so I needed a solution for my dual Athlon machine.

I've chose Nuendo 2. I hope to recieve it next week some time (and hopefully install it before the baby is born).
It should integrate perfectly with my RME Multiface. It has very flexable routing. Full delay compensation, very important with my UAD-1 card.
Allow multitrack drum editing, without alot of extra mouse and key commands. And seems to be stable and bug free.
I may upgrade to version 3 later.

Just curious if anyone else is using Nuendo. I've been reading though their forum too.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:00 pm

nuendo rocks but why 2 and not the latest nuendo 3?

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Stability for one, but more practically the price. I was able to make a trade and some cash for a new retail version of 2.

I checked and the upgrade will be $500 when I decide to move up to V3.

George

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:26 pm

I love bartering.
I want to trade a HW for a Neve.

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:40 pm

George, I did the same thing. Actually, I went from Cubase VST > Logic 5 > Nuendo 2. Nuendo is very cool but can be a bit frustrating at first because the workflow doesn't follow the traditional setting up a mixer with effects, like Logic or VST. You have an Effects track in the arrangement window where your effects get placed....it's just weird as you have to go to a few different places to get it working....not as user intuitive. That being said, once you do get the hang of it, it's very robust as far as having control over things and the setup. Very nice being able to export audio mixdowns as mp3 straight from Nuendo as well.

I still use both Logic and Nuendo on the same machine....I've done some taste tests using the same miking/recording/guitar setup and have found some differences. Nuendo is definitely crisper and clearer but Logic has a nice organic sound to it which I find myself going back to every so often...not to mention the soft instruments it comes with (the B3 and Rhodes)...better than others I've tried.

Nuendo is a bit more stable though...if I clip a signal the whole recording doesn't give me an asio error and stop :roll: like Logic does. Anyway, in the end, both will get the jobs done... Logic 5.5 is still fantastic software....it's just that if you're using things like Reason with rewire and newer VST plugins and whatnot, that's where it fails. Works with My Waves bundle and Kontakt 2, though.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:35 pm

I have some initial impressions of Nuendo and they are all fantastic!

It definately sounds different than Logic. I prefer it, but these things can grow on you so you love them or hate them. Time will tell.

The performance difference is stunning. The RME integrates seemlessly. My latency is cut in half. The UAD-1 card works flawlessly.

Full delay compensation is a blessing.

More to come....

VG

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:32 pm

Well George, now you have made the switch, you need to start dabbling in what Nuendo was originally written for. Video and Audio integration :D .

I love Nuendo. You are using two monitors which is a benefit that I do not have yet. Assign all the effects racks and transports to one and the main project pane in the other. I also really enjoy that Nuendo is a scalable program. The more HP you have in your computer, the more you can run in Nuendo.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:19 pm

We actually picked up a camcorder a while ago for baby stuff. But I keep thinking I could shoot amp kit instructions and stuff on there, then edit in Nuendo.
I've only just scatched the surface of what's possible so far.

I have a dual Athlon computer in a rack case. Bt I have only had one processor installed for a while now. It was too loud having both just to send email!
I did pick up some quieter fans at one point. I'll probably put the second CPU and new fans in soon. I also picked up a dual head DVI out graphics card, used on Ebay. So I need to spend some time on my comp. Maybe Sunday.

george

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:40 pm

I remember Graydon had toyed with doing an amp building series via video from the basics to a full build...never came to fruition, though. You could do up some DVDs and sell 'em in the store. I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes. As an aside, I'm actually a moderator on forum for the 3D animation software, Maya. The site sells video tutorials on CD/DVD for stuff like character Modeling, effects, animation, etc....vid is really an apt way to teach/learn if it's done up right.