Cabinet Vs. No Cabinet

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Ag_Nathus

Cabinet Vs. No Cabinet

Post by Ag_Nathus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:35 pm

Hey guys, I am looking forward to doing my first super lead kit build but when I select the kit to buy there is no difference in shipping charge if I order it with or without the head cabinet. My bass player has a wood shop and we could build it, but I was just wondering if it would be worth the effort and the price of the wood, tolex, handle, feet and piping if I only save a few bucks. It would certainly be fun to build, but time would be a factor as well. If the shipping was different without the cab it might make a difference.

Thanks for your help, I am looking forward to putting one of these together.

AG

monsterwalley

Re: Cabinet Vs. No Cabinet

Post by monsterwalley » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:35 pm

I did a 4x12 cab from scratch. Actually another member built a raw shell for me. I broke even. :? The job was pretty good, I've never applied tolex before and I think it came out pretty good for a first timer, the s&p grill cloth could have been better.

I know it's not a headcab, but I think the relationship would be the same.

If you were doing a few maybe, or if you wanted to build it to say you built it go for it Thats what I did the first
time, then found out it wasnt as fun as I thought.
jim

bulatovic

Post by bulatovic » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:11 pm

If you don't have to pay for the plywood and you have all the tools to do it properly, i'd say you will save some money. Tolex isn't too expensive, maybe it'd cost you around 50$ with piping if ordered from Mojo Supplies (sorry, not trying to advertize anyone, just giving an example).
It is quite heavy so it might decrease the cost of shipping, but on the other hand it will 99.9% look better than if you do it with your friend for the first time and it will save you a lot of time which you can spend playing...

it's up to you to decide...

hope it helps
Metro'd Marshall 1979 Super Bass / '80 1960A G12H30 55Hz
1974x 18w Clone - Trinity/Ceriatone

2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
2005 Fender Stratocaster

Ag_Nathus

Post by Ag_Nathus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:26 am

Hey, thanks guys. We did do a cabinet before with my 18 watt build:

I just have never worked with tolex, so I was a bit concerned about that. I was debating about doing a blonde version of what I did previously or trying to stick with the more traditional head case for the plexi...

AG

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:45 am

That cab looks very nice.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

62sg
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by 62sg » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:46 am

Ag_Nathus wrote:Hey, thanks guys. We did do a cabinet before with my 18 watt build:

I just have never worked with tolex, so I was a bit concerned about that. I was debating about doing a blonde version of what I did previously or trying to stick with the more traditional head case for the plexi...

AG

Hi AG...I must admit, I am not one that typically goes for the all wood type cabs, but THAT cab is outstanding. Way to go, man, way to go!!
I dig the vent in the front like that, too. Great job.
JOHN

brofoxx

Post by brofoxx » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:04 pm

If I could make a wood box like that I wouldn't even think about Tolex.
Nice job!
JCM800, VM, Shiva, AC30CC, HotRod

Ag_Nathus

Post by Ag_Nathus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:27 pm

Wow, guys,

Thanks for the kind comments! I think I will go without the head cab and see if we can come up with something nice again. The only problem is that it means I will eventually have to do a 4x12 cab to match it!

AG