Matched tubes?

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

LPDlx

Matched tubes?

Post by LPDlx » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:16 am

So, I bought the 50W Plexi kit and assembled it over the holiday...
Went through the testing steps...
Was good thru the preamp tubes (voltages were reading about 5% high, but nothing alarming)
Walked over to pick up the E34Ls...
and dropped one. D'oh! Shattered glass everywhere. :( Now I'm in the market for new tubes. I'm probably going to stick with the JJ E34Ls for now, just to get a baseline on how the amp sounds. Here's my question, does Metro match their tubes in-house, or do they just get matched pairs from other suppliers? If they are matched, is it just for idle current, mutual conductance, both, or something else? In my disgust, I threw out the old tube boxes (adding the leftover single to my stash...I've got an SE amp to feed as well)-I noticed there were some numbers written down on it, and I'm assuming it was the matching criteria. I've been reading the forums for a long time, and you're all a fiercely loyal group of folks and for good reason. I'm certainly glad I went with the Metro kit. Now it's a question of whether or not I get the 2203 or the JTM45 kit next...

I don't have a problem, I can stop at any time! :wink:

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Matched tubes?

Post by novosibir » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:48 pm

You only have one common bias adjust trim pot, not individual adjusters for each tube, hence you need matched output tubes. A duet for a JTM45, a quad for a 2203

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:57 pm

If you're in North America, a good EL34 to get is from Terry, the Tube Tramp. He doesn't stock many new production tubes, but he carries both the Shuguang KT66 and the Shuguang EL34. I have had excellent luck with both Terry and his products. They are burned in beforehand. I have had no bias drift issues with any of his tubes. And Terry stands behind his customers 100%. The Shuguang EL34 is a great choice. It might not have the extremely long life of the JJ EL34, but it blows the pants off the JJ EL34's in terms of sound. The Shuguangs sound way better to my ears. What is more, the Shuguang EL34 are cheap! If I wanted to spend any more than the cost of the Shuguangs on power tubes, then I'd be buying NOS stuff! Nothing against Metro. But Terry is a truly wonderful supplier of quality NOS (pre and power) and reliable new production power tubes.

joshwilson3

Post by joshwilson3 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:48 pm

I've heard some say the amp sounds better if the tubes are'nt matched. Just within a certain range. Any info on this?

I'll be going with 6550 for my 2203 build.

LPDlx

Post by LPDlx » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Maybe I wasn't clear about my question. I know the amplifier needs matched tubes. Different suppliers use different criteria to match tubes. Which is best? Also, what criteria is used to match the tubes included in the Metro kits? Thanks.

I realize that I could just buy the same tubes every time, and that would certainly cut down my need for biasing. However, I didn't want a Mes@ B00gie. Marshall designs are kind of like air-cooled VWs...they need regular maintenance :lol:

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 pm

LPDlx wrote:Maybe I wasn't clear about my question.
Oh, ok, nevermind.