Choosing a Metroamp?

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

maltone
Just the numbers in order: 7

Choosing a Metroamp?

Post by maltone » Tue May 05, 2009 11:08 am

Hi guys, I've been on a few different forums, trying to find an amp to play a Gretsch jet through. I've got it fitted with TV Jones Classic pickups.
http://www.18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; watt.com
http://www.trinityamps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm trying to find an amp that will give me very classic rock n roll crunch, and jangle. — Basically, Malcolm Young's tone. The best examples I can give are the tones from these songs:

1) If you want blood (Highway to Hell)
2) Night Prowler (Highway to Hell)
3) Love Hungry Man (Highway to Hell) - particularly the part right after the chorus:
"don't want no conversation, I need sweet sensation" etc. There are very punchy riffs in this part of the song, all played in A with a few pull offs. This is THE sound I'm talking about, it's not "metal" it's... growling, and very Gretsch.

4) Riff Raff (Powerage), the main riff, chords.

Here's another great example.. a bit lame with the gabbing, but right on the money as far as the tone I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jroPQqp9F4I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (and please don't tell me I need to buy a Wizard)

I was under the impression that I could get those kinds of tones in an 18 watt build, but I've been told probably not. I'd be playing in a basement along with records, I'm not a serious player, but I really love this tone.

As far as Malcolm's tone - which is often cleaner than people think, how can I get this tone at a lower volume, with earlier breakup? I would be able to play it louder at times, but most of the time, I just want that straight ahead tone to play along with records.

Would it be a Metroamp kit with a Master Volume circuit? A plexi 1987 circuit, or a 50 watt bass circuit? Please help, I need some guidance. - I'm talking about Malcolm's tone on Highway to Hell, and Powerage. What would get me closest to that older vintage tone? Much thanks guys.

bulatovic

Re: Choosing a Metroamp?

Post by bulatovic » Tue May 05, 2009 11:25 am

I think that the key for Malcolm's tone is the SuperBass. You could get a 100w superbass kit from Metro and add PPIMV (post phase inverter master volume) which works great! or even get an attenuator such as UltimateAttenuator or THD Hotplate or some other (can't really think of other names) in order to get the sound on lower volumes. I'm no expert really about his tone, but i believe it's a superbass. Do a search on the forum for malcolm's tone and there should be plenty of stuff that will come up.
Metro'd Marshall 1979 Super Bass / '80 1960A G12H30 55Hz
1974x 18w Clone - Trinity/Ceriatone

2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
2005 Fender Stratocaster

maltone

Post by maltone » Tue May 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Hey bulatovic, much thanks. Yeah, I've read about him loving the 50 watt plexi bass amps, and the superbass as well. He used to favor those in the earlier days - I read somewhere. He's used the Marshalls, and also the Wizards. I could NEVER afford a Wizard. I think they're ridiculously overpriced for what the really are.

If I could find a Marshall that has that type of bite, less sag, and that jangle and bark, wow, I'm in. I love the sound of the Wizard 50's and 100's.

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Fri May 08, 2009 9:15 pm

maltone wrote:If I could find a Marshall that has that type of bite, less sag, and that jangle and bark, wow, I'm in.
My gut tells me to say "45/100." +1 to what Bulatovic said, as well. A PPIMV setup costs $8 to try out, a lot less than the $500 attenuators out there. You can decide later if you need to spend more on attenuation.

The 45/100 is the same preamp circuitry as a Super Bass. When you say, bite, jangle, bark, and not much sag, I think....45/100.

If you're in the New York area this weekend, be sure to go to the Amp Show! You can check out these amps from Metro, and more!

http://www.ampshow.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maltone

Hey thousandshirts..

Post by maltone » Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 am

So a JTM 45/100? Wish I could make it to that amp show - but really, I'm not that serious of a player to take "my tone man" all that seriously - except that I'd like to try and get Malcolm's tone on those albums. The cost of building one of these Metro's and the time invested is something I'd really enjoy getting into, just to learn, and have a better amp than a store bought Marshall.

I wish someone with a Gretsch on here could post some clips through one of these amps. I'd like to hear it in context. Everytime I do a search on You Tube for a Marshall amp, it's so..... METAL! or Van Halen, hey I love Van Halen, but it's beyond the tones I'm hoping to hear, it's rarely classic rock n' roll.

You know that sonic clarity, with just a hint of that "jang" - I think of Alright Now by Free. THAT'S the sound, and through a Gretsch, I'm sure it would have even more growl. I might want a hair more gain to that tone, but that's basically it. I always thought of that tone, and Malcolm's for that matter, as pretty clean. Most guys I see on you tube, or friends etc, when they play songs from that 70's era, it's never that sound - it always sounds boxy, or too muted, there's not enough sonic definition, cha-chang, or glang, are silly words I use to describe the treble and top end. It's not shrill, it's defined.

So if there's anyone here who has that sound, and has a Gretsch, man I'd love to hear it. Again, thank you.

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu May 14, 2009 10:33 am

a 45/100 or a superbass. there's no substitute. try the 45/100 and G12Ms (M75s) if you are worired about volume
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39