Ideas for MetroAmp ?

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

aquilarosso
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Ideas for MetroAmp ?

Post by aquilarosso » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:52 am

Funny how people have different tastes. I love the look of the JMP MV, although if I could only ever get one kit, I think the old style would be the one still.

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:56 pm

jimmy_j wrote:I always hated how the JMP MV amps looked (not just yours but the original Marshalls as well). I'd rather put a 2203 or 2204 circuit in a 4 holer and mod it. Especially with the extra preamp tube hole in the chassis already there. That just screams "mod me with a 4th gain stage".
Actually the originals for the first two or three years had gold piping and toggles, and didn't really look any different from the four holers.
But I agree I'd rather not have rockers and white piping myself either.

The slave box sounds like a good idea to me as well, one I would certainly be interested in, not just for slaving large amps into other amps, but also slaving little amps into larger amps for a little more tonal variety.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Woolly Mammoth

Post by Woolly Mammoth » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions !!
I am glad to see you guys care.
I will go over your messages with George over the next few days, (probably come up with some questions for you) and see if we can get some feedback on some of our Metropoulos/MetroAmp ideas and plans.

Thanks again for your feedback !

DAVE

HTH

Post by HTH » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:27 am

demonufo wrote:
The slave box sounds like a good idea to me as well, one I would certainly be interested in, not just for slaving large amps into other amps, but also slaving little amps into larger amps for a little more tonal variety.
^ +1

thats what I'd want to use it for too - I have a 50w stereo Marshall 9005 poweramp. Imagine that with two little amps slaved and running in stereo through the power amp; maybe a Tweed Champ and a AC4 (or even a single ended plexi).
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:49 pm

Cabbagebreeze wrote:There's been a lot of bandwidth spent on the AFD amp. Have the forumites come up with a great AFD amp, - I have Staaf's schematic before it was pulled, I'll have to build it some time. My impression is the market has an appetite for one. Pull the rug out from Marshall!
I am in the process of a SIR#39 at the moment. I have a Mojo/Metro modded head cab, tremelo plexi panel (this one is a Ceriatone). Metro caps up top alloy chassis ('one off' with unfinished front panel that I have drilled for the panel). I have a Metro laydown T2562 PT (need to cut chassis this w/e) I have early 70's Dagnall OT but am still torn between using one of George's or Brian's C1998s :mrgreen: . As with all my latest builds using Brian H's boards, NOS mustards, Castleco black bats etc, etc. Unfortunately progress is slow due to job, family other projects so Marshall might beat me too it :( . For me it has to be switchable between 1959/2203 and extra stage to keep flexibility. Mine will have Steve's loop as well (of course). EL34s vs 6550s/KT88's not decided yet :roll:

I too think the Metro/Marstran collaboration would be a brilliant idea :idea: . I believe that they are both very honest, straight talking Marshall afficianados with huge knowledge of these things with high quality products to offer which would only improve the options and as said before cut down on multiple shipping (and &*%^$£ customs charges :evil: ).

BTW I have used Rich Ms plexi panel toggle 2203/4 panel which would also be a great store option as a 50 or 100watt kit option for one of these could allow you to spec a two or four holer front panel just with the minor front end changes, keeping old school cosmetics.

Very easy very simple very versatile - bit of a no brainer really :wink:
Neil

TwinACStacks

Post by TwinACStacks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:02 am

:shock: Just an Idea, and Its a little Blasphemous, but how about a Metro version of something higher Gain like Oh, I don't know.....say a DSL? Could it even be done with turretboards?

:D :D TWIN
Sittin' in the Blue room, Staring at the wall....

jbzoso2002

Post by jbzoso2002 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:12 am

I think you need to make very clear which items
are in stock and not in stock in the store.

Jimmy 8)
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

admin
Administrator

Post by admin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:11 am

jbzoso2002 wrote:I think you need to make very clear which items

Jimmy 8)
When an item is out of stock (zero quantity in inventory), the store will indicate that with an "out of stock" notice and you won't be able to add the item to your cart.

Some items, like kits, contain many parts. If any parts of the kit are out of stock, we ship the kit with a partial backorder and the out of stock parts are shipped separately when they are back in stock, which is usually not too long of a wait.

Did you have a problem with something being out of stock? Can you let me know the details to see if it's something we can fix?

jbzoso2002

Post by jbzoso2002 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:56 pm

admin wrote:
jbzoso2002 wrote:I think you need to make very clear which items

Jimmy 8)
When an item is out of stock (zero quantity in inventory), the store will indicate that with an "out of stock" notice and you won't be able to add the item to your cart.

Some items, like kits, contain many parts. If any parts of the kit are out of stock, we ship the kit with a partial backorder and the out of stock parts are shipped separately when they are back in stock, which is usually not too long of a wait.

Did you have a problem with something being out of stock? Can you let me know the details to see if it's something we can fix?

Oops! I didnt know you fixed it, it was a prob a few years back.

Thats good to know.
Thanks Jimmy 8)
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:25 pm

Nobody's doing a load box with slaving capabilities??? Why do you think THD Hotplates have adjustable line outs on them?

(**hint** It's so you can run a line/pedal level signal through your effects, then into a 2nd clean amp)

The issue I see with offering high gain stuff...it's very tricky, especially when you start getting into grounding and signal path switching. One little screw up and you're gonna end up with a noisy build and "pops" when you switch the signal path. Not something I recommend for novices really.

The whole high gain channel switching 5 watt amp dealio...OK, that's cool...let's just run more distortion into a power amp that's already distorting because there's little to no headroom, and make one farty mess. The whole beauty of high powered high gain amps is so that you have a master volume that you can turn down to bedroom levels, and your power amp will have LOTS of headroom for patching effects into an effects loop. Since the power amp is nice and clean, it can reproduce your preamp tone and effects while preserving signal integrity, not making your reverb sound like distorted reverb. Once your power amp clips, you negate the purpose of having a loop in the first place.

For those of you who run straight up dimed...the concept of running a slaved rig is the equivalent of running an effects loop on a high gain channel switcher that gets its tone from the preamp. You're installing the MTA effects AFTER the overdriven signal when you slave a cranked head just like you do when you place them in the FX loop of an amp that you're only running preamp overdrive on. Very simple...if you're running the head flat out dimed cranked/distorted from input jack to speaker jack, run a THD Hotplate at full attenuation, then take your line out and run that through your modulation/time/ambiance effects, then into a 2nd clean amp. If you're running a high gain channel switcher and getting your tone from the preamp, you run an FX loop. There really aren't any real different ways of doing this.

Also, if you're worried about volume -

If you run a cranked/distorted head, run a power soak

If you run a high gain channel switcher, just simply turn the master volume down

Think about it...no matter how low you think you can get your bedroom level volume, there's always gonna be that desire for more volume once you're at that point because we like to feel the IMPACT of high SPL, and there just simply is no way to get that at a low volume regardless of what the output power rating of the amp is. You need high SPL levels to get that impact...you have to be moving enough air to get that impact...it just simply will not happen at low volumes. Get over it.

I know you all are trying to find something new blah blah blah, but in all honesty, there's really nothing new to discover in any of this. It's all been done...this technology and art is well over a century old. All anyone is doing nowadays is trying to reinvent the wheel and find a million more ways to skin the same damn cat.
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

db_inst_amp

Post by db_inst_amp » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:59 pm

Hey Dave:

-I think there is an external bias mod you might could stock.

-Could look at a rack mounted versions of some kits or 100W rack power section. Rack guys are already DIY'ers in a sense and love the W/D/W thing. 100W in 2U

-Addition preamp stage tube mod.

-DIY Vintage cabinet kit. Could do everything but the wood.
Have a good one,

Derrick

Only 2 goats were sacrificed in the making of this cabinet.

jz

Post by jz » Tue May 04, 2010 6:19 am

Hi Dave - I was thinking maybe in addition to the kits and George's built Marshall clones, a division of Metro that manufactures one or two original proprietary designs that are sold directly to music retailers and not available directly to the public otherwise. As successful as George has been w/ the direct order business, the fact is that we would only each buy on average a couple amps, where music stores in general would stock several once they sold a few - plus, if they sold well, there would be consistant re-orders. I belive the quality of George's work is unrivaled and has a real chance of being successful on the retail level. This would have to be exclusive from the internet store, as not to set up an internal competition w/ the retailers, but as cool as the DIY amp builder market is (that I belive George single handedly expanded exponentially), maybe there's something of a threshold that's been or about to be achieved that may require a move in a slightly different direction to sustain it. - Joe

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 am

Hi Dave - I was thinking maybe in addition to the kits and George's built Marshall clones, a division of Metro that manufactures one or two original proprietary designs that are sold directly to music retailers and not available directly to the public otherwise. As successful as George has been w/ the direct order business, the fact is that we would only each buy on average a couple amps, where music stores in general would stock several once they sold a few - plus, if they sold well, there would be consistant re-orders. I belive the quality of George's work is unrivaled and has a real chance of being successful on the retail level. This would have to be exclusive from the internet store, as not to set up an internal competition w/ the retailers, but as cool as the DIY amp builder market is (that I belive George single handedly expanded exponentially), maybe there's something of a threshold that's been or about to be achieved that may require a move in a slightly different direction to sustain it. - Joe
Well said jz . . . Much better than my blasted attempt at the idea!
dave

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Welcome Dave, I'm the other Dave here aka (yngwie308), I have been a staunch supporter of Metro amps since I first discovered them, back in 2006 or so.
I had plenty of ideas back then and many of the things I had hoped to happen here, have happened.
The Plexi Replica project is awesome, though I'm sure the overhead is incredible.
The '68 4X12" cabs are industry leaders and should be kept afloat.
I wish George could receive royalties in some way for all of his ideas that have been used by other people.
It was disappointing for me to watch at the 2007 LA Amp show, when I finally met George, the potential customers walking in, playing George's amps, stating they were the best Marshall's they had ever heard, yet not one person ordered one, that I heard of...
I sincerely hope Metro isn't forced to close their doors.
I have had ideas in the past, if you want my opinion, sure I'll share it privately, even give me a phone call, I have watched Metro for many years and experienced the ups and downs, that you guys have undergone. It must be frustrating to offer the best amp forum/ service backup and most superior products out there and still be in financial difficulties. A lot of this is nationwide, nothing directly related to Metro.
George had and still does have the right idea and his concept is brilliant.
This isn't a boutique amp site, never has been, this is what I always say and George is probably tire of hearing it by now, but a Metro amp is the perfect mousetrap, so what does one do when you have already accomplished that??
It is tough to be an honest genuine person in this dog eat dog world of the music business, but George has survived.
I have personally reached out to a few rock stars with the idea of trying Metro amps, only to see them using other stuff or Johnny come lately products, that are not true to the original Marshall concept.
George's Plexi replicas are an absolute bargain in today's marketplace and George has allowed members here to use the forum as a medium and grow their own amp businesses , so Dave if you want my opinion, based on a lot of mileage here, I will PM you and speak with you by phone as that is my preference.
George, NY Chief and I had a conversation as the '07 LA Amp show was wrapping uo, George told us he knew us one percenters, to use a motorcycle analogy, the hardcore vintage Marshall guys, who appreciate the authenticity and attention to detail that creates the tone, it's just how does one package this and have it sell next to mass produced amps made overseas, ect.
Welcome again, ask George about me, I was there at Marshall's old store back in the day, when all these amps were new and have a unique perspective about the whole amp/guitar industry after watching it for 39 odd years.
Dave
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Sat May 08, 2010 7:21 pm

I can't beleive that the ship isn't going to come in. I assume you've invested a lot of money the last couple years, and now you've got to sweat it out and wait for the dividends to add up.

Here's thought, could you offer a "correct" combo version of the jtm45 without retooling? Some guys just don't want a head and cab.